Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Caine123 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 am Huys am i missing something? With such a big hexagon there is still no mseg's?
You know the answer why the question :)

Caine123 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 am Huys am i missing something? With such a big hexagon there is still no mseg's?
MSEGs don't fit into Hive's concept, also read some of latest posts from Urs.

spunkmuffin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:29 amWhy hide them?? 8)
Because they were made in a haste with a beta version which is outdated. They focus on purely technical detail and have no convincing example sounds. They are mere layouts for better videos to come.

The video I wish to not show make the FGs look more complicated than they are. There was very poor keyboard playing (my myself), which might not be exemplatory for the effect I wanted to show.

Urs wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:06 pm
Breach The Sky wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:26 pmTough, i'm not sure how the function-generators work or what it is used for (yet)
(need to post examples... won't be too long until we got some)
Sounds like infinite possibilities! I can hear one osc doing something semi-random on top of a drone..

I look forward to the inevitable examples, video tutorial etc! :)

Caine123 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 am Huys am i missing something?
Yes...

the Shapers are MSEG's

Well, they do one of the jobs you might want an MSEG for but not everything and MSEG can do.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 am Well, they do one of the jobs you might want an MSEG for but not everything and MSEG can do.
There are lots of different MSEG's in different synths that do different things... Yes the Shapers don't do everything that every MSEG can do.

However, they are still multi-segment envelopes.

No, they are a series of two segment envelopes (from what I saw in the video, anyway), which is similar but not exactly the same. e.g. If you want the end value of one to line up with the start value of another, it takes extra work, whereas in an MSEG the two elements will share that point.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 am No, they are a series of two segment envelopes (from what I saw in the video, anyway), which is similar but not exactly the same. e.g. If you want the end value of one to line up with the start value of another, it takes extra work, whereas in an MSEG the two elements will share that point.
Which are Multi-Stage Envelope Generators... :tu:

BONES wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 am No, they are a series of two segment envelopes (from what I saw in the video, anyway)
Hehehe, you'll see... they can be 1 to 8 segments each, not just cascades of two.

Unlike MSEGs you can modulate pretty much anything in the Shape Sequencer. You can self-modulate it. It can do far more evolving non-repetitive movements than any MSEG can dream of. It certainly has more to do with Game of Life than with meticulously thought out 1-note-soundtracks. It's something you have to experience rather than premediate. Less planning, more fun.

My stance is this: In my observation and with very few exceptions (e.g. the sound of Chris Nolan's watch replicated in Zebra), MSEG settings meander into artistic arbitrariness the more complex the curve becomes. The more work that goes into it, the less meaningful it becomes. It's pretty much either elaborate rhythms or gibberish. Hive's Shape Sequencer can do both just fine, with a lot less work. Trying to replicate vibrant Shape Sequences from Hive 2.0 presets in those elaborate MSEGs will ultimately lead to desperation.

Urs wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:45 am
BONES wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 am No, they are a series of two segment envelopes (from what I saw in the video, anyway)
Hehehe, you'll see... they can be 1 to 8 segments each, not just cascades of two.

Unlike MSEGs you can modulate pretty much anything in the Shape Sequencer. You can self-modulate it. It can do far more evolving non-repetitive movements than any MSEG can dream of. It certainly has more to do with Game of Life than with meticulously thought out 1-note-soundtracks. It's something you have to experience rather than premediate. Less planning, more fun.

My stance is this: In my observation and with very few exceptions (e.g. the sound of Chris Nolan's watch replicated in Zebra), MSEG settings meander into artistic arbitrariness the more complex the curve becomes. The more work that goes into it, the less meaningful it becomes. It's pretty much either elaborate rhythms or gibberish. Hive's Shape Sequencer can do both just fine, with a lot less work. Trying to replicate vibrant Shape Sequences from Hive 2.0 presets in those elaborate MSEGs will ultimately lead to desperation.
I trust urs :tu:
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 am
Urs wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:45 am

I trust urs :tu:
In Urs we trust! :D

We should probably just wait until we get our greasy fingers on a public beta, demo, or final release before we pass judgment on the new features.

I can read about them all day but I won't truly understand them until I get to twiddle knobs or flip switches.

While I am a fan of the power of MSEG's I do find them fiddly to work with so if the FGs in Hive 2 provide similar function with increased ease then I say bring them on....like right now....seriously drop that beta.... :hyper:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

BONES wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 am No, they are a series of two segment envelopes (from what I saw in the video, anyway), which is similar but not exactly the same. e.g. If you want the end value of one to line up with the start value of another, it takes extra work, whereas in an MSEG the two elements will share that point.
a series of 2 segment envelopes = multiple segments :hihi:

Anyway, if you want to call them something else it doesn't matter to me. They serve the same purpose whatever one wants to call them.

Indeed, it does not (currently) automatically line up and does take extra work if you want it to, on the other hand, other things are faster. Overall, I find this new concept faster to work with than the Zebra MSEG for most 'common' shapes.

And of course it is great that you can see all 4 of them visually at the same time on the same page. I made a new INIT preset with 8 different shapes so it is very fast to quickly combine them right in the main window. Double click on one of the 8 sections and they invert.

Sorry I haven't followed the Hive/Hive 2 progress. Can wavetables be created/edited in Hive? Or just imported?

Return to “Instruments”