Let's talk reaktor 6.4

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reaktor Reaktor Player

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm Maybe Reaktor is such "old hat" that this is common knowledge, but how do the Blocks actually sound? Are there great sounding filters, oscs, effects, etc.? Does it do audio-rate modulation well? Are there polyphonic modules (or even better: a quick and easy way to make mono patches polyphonic like I was using a U-he synth and just flipped the setting)?

I checked out Voltage Modular but didn't like the sound of the base package or its graphics, so passed. Righ now, I'm just waiting for VCV Rack to officially go VST (using VeeSeeVST ATM), but maybe I should be looking at Reaktor. So does it sound great? I love Monark, so if we're in that ballpark, that's a great place to be. How's the workflow?
the blocks sound great
just dl the freebie. theres plenty in that even before grabbing the free additions.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm Maybe Reaktor is such "old hat" that this is common knowledge, but how do the Blocks actually sound? Are there great sounding filters, oscs, effects, etc.? Does it do audio-rate modulation well?
Every so often this topic comes up :lol:
Problem why some people call reaktor old hat , is because there used to be a lot of user uploads with just the stock primary filters, osc's , not all primary filters were capable of audio rate modulation , but rather the lower res. control rate .
While these don't really sound bad , they won't you give you the sound quality of the new core filters and oscillators , but there are still a lot of amzing instruments made with just primary modules .
Reaktor became a BIG boy when N.I. got vadim Zavalishin (sync modular )on board, who developed the core language for reaktro 5.0
That being said , there are also amazing primary modules like the modal and partial bank which were introduced in reaktor 5.5 ( each can have up to 10'000 partilas )
The latest filters ( made in core ) are all zdf and have no problem with audio rate modulation , and in blocks everything operates at sample rate .

There's a plethora of filters/osc's and effects in the core library and these all sound stellar .
Reaktor's core language hasn't change that much since 5.0 ( 2004) , and Monark could have been created in reaktor 5.0 , 14 years ago ...it's just that people develop better dsp algoritms ( and cpu becomes faster :lol:
IN the end , reaktorr core is just a tool ( with up and downsides )

Monark is a prime example of what is achievable with core
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:48 pm Are you getting into it now then?
From a builder's perspective , the cables don't bring anything new to the table ( these are just on gui rendered in/output port connections ) , Imagine the possibilites if these could be saved with snapshots :clap: :clap:
For block patching it's great , which is what this update is about , purely to attract new users .
And I hope they will adress the issues that are being discussed in the reaktor forum .
Let's wait and see
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:06 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm Maybe Reaktor is such "old hat" that this is common knowledge, but how do the Blocks actually sound? Are there great sounding filters, oscs, effects, etc.? Does it do audio-rate modulation well?
Every so often this topic comes up :lol:
Problem why some people call reaktor old hat , is because there used to be a lot of user uploads with just the stock primary filters, osc's , not all primary filters were capable of audio rate modulation , but rather the lower res. control rate .
While these don't really sound bad , they won't you give you the sound quality of the new core filters and oscillators , but there are still a lot of amzing instruments made with just primary modules .
Reaktor became a BIG boy when N.I. got vadim Zavalishin (sync modular )on board, who developed the core language for reaktro 5.0
That being said , there are also amazing primary modules like the modal and partial bank which were introduced in reaktor 5.5 ( each can have up to 10'000 partilas )
The latest filters ( made in core ) are all zdf and have no problem with audio rate modulation , and in blocks everything operates at sample rate .

There's a plethora of filters/osc's and effects in the core library and these all sound stellar .
Reaktor's core language hasn't change that much since 5.0 ( 2004) , and Monark could have been created in reaktor 5.0 , 14 years ago ...it's just that people develop better dsp algoritms ( and cpu becomes faster :lol:
IN the end , reaktorr core is just a tool ( with up and downsides )

Monark is a prime example of what is achievable with core
You're doing a very good job on selling it!

I wasn't initially going to demo (at least not until my next chance to buy it on sale or crossgrade) but I think I'm going to be checking out the freebies. Thanks!

Also grab the free blocks ensembles (Blocks Wired) that came out before 6.3/racks.

Edit: Actually I couldn’t seem to find the product page for it so either they discontinued it or it’s included in the free Reaktor player. Not sure, might just be blocks base for free now, which would be too bad since wired had some other modules in it.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm Maybe Reaktor is such "old hat" that this is common knowledge, but how do the Blocks actually sound? Are there great sounding filters, oscs, effects, etc.? Does it do audio-rate modulation well? Are there polyphonic modules (or even better: a quick and easy way to make mono patches polyphonic like I was using a U-he synth and just flipped the setting)?

I checked out Voltage Modular but didn't like the sound of the base package or its graphics, so passed. Righ now, I'm just waiting for VCV Rack to officially go VST (using VeeSeeVST ATM), but maybe I should be looking at Reaktor. So does it sound great? I love Monark, so if we're in that ballpark, that's a great place to be. How's the workflow?
Ni added modules from Monark to Reaktor 6 Monark is a very close Moog emulation. I use hardware synths and Reaktor it holds up.

I'm Ant wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Ni added modules from Monark to Reaktor 6 Monark is a very close Moog emulation. I use hardware synths and Reaktor it holds up.
I recently replaced a crapload of Moog hardware with Monark (for a live production) - it holds up damn well. You can always find differences in A/B "lab" environment but Reaktor's Core engine will hold its own against anything in a production environment. Even some of the older tech (built in Primary, not Core) still sounds quite good, though you couldn't do ZDF, etc. I believe.

I'm still surprised by how good Carbon 2 and photone sound.

I'm Ant wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Monark was created with reaktor 5.5 or was 5.9 don't remember .
THe monark filter is a closed core cell ( to hide the dsp code ) .
But yes , you are correct , monark filter is available as a block .
Eyeball exchanging

I love Reaktor but I hate how the development of it feels like it's been developed at an excruciating snails pace.... Wires, fricking wires... I feel like I've gone back 18 years with Reason, only these wires don't autoroute as Reason did back in 2001... Personally I think Blocks have been a waste of time and resources...I wish they would just bring Reaktor into the 21st century...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1f4bin_g0
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:08 am I'm still surprised by how good Carbon 2 and photone sound.
^ this ...

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:19 am I love Reaktor but I hate how the development of it feels like it's been developed at an excruciating snails pace.... Wires, fricking wires... I feel like I've gone back 18 years with Reason, only these wires don't autoroute as Reason did back in 2001... Personally I think Blocks have been a waste of time and resources...I wish they would just bring Reaktor into the 21st century...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR1f4bin_g0

I personally think Blocks is a great idea, and I've been having a ton of fun with this. It's definitely not for everyone.

I'm kind of curious how you think they could bring Reaktor into the 21st century. What would you want that they don't have right now?

I think the only thing it's really missing is Multi-core support.
:borg:

experimental.crow wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:19 am
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:08 am I'm still surprised by how good Carbon 2 and photone sound.
^ this ...
Two words: Mike Daliot.

It's even better when you swap the old core filters with the new zdf ones :tu:

mike daliot indeed , a true reaktor legend
Eyeball exchanging

In terms of sound output, in my opinion it sounds way better than Voltage Modular (never liked VM's sound at all.. it's strangely weak and tinny in my opinion). It's also super easy to oversample but will absolutely kill most machines with larger patches.. still it sounds wicked good.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Modular Synthesis”