One Synth Challenge #121: Any One Synth (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
TrojakEW
KVRist
270 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from Slovakia

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:59 am

liqih wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:11 pm
I have the naive ideology of thinking that who is free from commercial restrains would produce more interesting and beautiful music.
There is nothing wrong with your way of thinking. We all have different taste for different things. Numbers are just numbers, score just show preference of selected people but not opinion of all people on the world. Everything is normal and everyone here does great job.

What I agree is that people tend to give only kind of positive feedback. Like they are worry that it will affect voting. So we usually see something like: Nice, Great, good work and so on with some exceptions.

Congrats to all not just winners but I must say that Relik's track have some great sound design with proper use of those sounds so it was only one track that I forget about everything else like mix and stuff. It just make me concentrate my mind to this great sounds. :tu:
Image Image Image Image

Harry_HH
KVRAF
3452 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Re: Re: One Synth Challenge #121: Any One Synth (Rellik Wins!)

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:19 am

I understand the tendency staying on the small talk level - giving here any comment outside the conformist genre/”expert” mainstream, seem immediately wake up bunch of people, who are itching to prove, that your opinion is absolutely wrong. :party:

TrojakEW
KVRist

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:41 am

If somebody prove that your opinion is wrong then you should be happy. This way you learn new things and gain new experience or you will do same mistakes over and over.
Image Image Image Image

Harry_HH
KVRAF
3452 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:55 am

If only the world was perfect, linear equation...

”Prove” was quotes in previous.
Somebody just said in this thread, that most of the things in music are subjective. This means, that anything can be”proved” either correct or wrong, good or bad.

Therefore the concept ”genre conformism” is essential.

TrojakEW
KVRist

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:01 am

But you can't move forward without telling your opinion. You need to discuss this or there will be no progress at all. Moving forward doesn't mean always moving forward. We all do many mistakes during this process but it is better then staying all the time on same place.
Image Image Image Image

Leonard Bowman
KVRist
45 posts since 4 Jul, 2018 from North Carolina, United States of America

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:40 am

Interesting developments here...

1) feel free to be critical in comments, especially to me. I want to learn, and it's hard to grow when everyone tells you everything is fine.

2) be open to experimentation. Some very interesting music gets dismissed as weird, uncomfortable, out of tune, beatless, unsteady, etc. but sometimes that's the point. If you start by assuming that everything was done on purpose to achieve some greater goal, you'll find a lot more depth in the music you listen to. Don't dismiss that as a technical failiure or accident until you know it is.

3) stay friendly, or at least respectful. that's what makes OSC fun (for me at least).
Just my 2^(2/1200)

zarf
KVRist
419 posts since 20 Jan, 2013

Re: One Synth Challenge #121: Any One Synth (Rellik Wins!)

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:04 am

I welcome critical feedback.
And to be fair, I feel I often receive it in the track comments, so thanks for that folks, it's helpful.

Regarding commenting - I don't think there is any harm in being encouraging, and I also agree that some insight into what people don't like is super helpful. Especially when the scores are low - I always think it is great to understand more about where people are coming from and why they don't rate a track highly.

Also,as a non-expert, sometimes I'm not confident enough in my perception to give criticism! Or when it is just my taste I tend not to say so much (does it help you if I say 'I don't really like this style of music?' - I tend to think it is better if I focus on the sounds and production, not just my preferences. This makes it easier to be less biased against 'weird' or experimental stuff, too :)

ilmai
KVRist
343 posts since 25 Aug, 2016 from Helsinki, Finland

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:09 am

Welp, looks like I need to actually finish a track next time :D

mmGhost
KVRist
216 posts since 24 Aug, 2009 from CO, USA

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 am

ilmai wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:09 am
Welp, looks like I need to actually finish a track next time :D
very much look forward to it!
Soundcloud | Spotify | YouTube Tutorials
"Just sidechain everything to everything"

bsp804
KVRist
161 posts since 23 May, 2017

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Congratulations to all of you for participating !

(and especially to the winners, of course)

I'm really happy for Rellik, that track was my favourite since it combines technical mastery with awesome playing chops / musicality.
https://soundcloud.com/rellyk/rellik-out-here-again

Scrubbing Monkeys
KVRian
726 posts since 21 Apr, 2017 from Bahia, Brazil

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:43 pm

congrats to all the winners. It could have gone either way for 1st or 2nd for me. Both tracks were amazing. There wasn’t much gap between any position which means it was quite competitive and the field was strong. I truly enjoyed participating and hope to do it again soon.

eraze the borders
KVRist
139 posts since 4 Apr, 2012 from Berlin, Germany

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:22 am

Congrats to the top 5!

As for critical comments and constructive feedback, I'm always open for it so that I can improve.

Thanks for being such a respectful community OSC :tu:
Failure is success in progress.

CS_TBL
KVRer
8 posts since 19 Nov, 2007 from NL

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:17 am

It's actually a bit weird to give any comments on anything. Here's why;

Musically (the notes, so to say) there's no accounting for taste, you can stand on your head all you want, but there's not much you can do about it.

In terms of sound design, it matters which synth is chosen. The top-3 has two FM8-entries, and from my own experience: FM8 is indeed a very complete synth, you can do about everything with it. Others may have picked a smaller/simpler synth that is less flexible and less complete, so who am I to point out sound design issues like 'yer params are wrong, mmkay'? A broad synth like FM8 could make things easier, and give an entry the edge because of that. At the same time, many people are still alienated by it because it's still FM. So, does FM8 have the edge here or not? :hihi:

Also, what's the value of someone making a tune with simple sounds? E.g. a standaard sawtooth bass (osc->filter->envelope(F,A)->chorus). I would say there's little sound design merit in that, but what if it does work in context of a song? How to rate those merits then? What are we rating anyway? Sound-design or song-writing skills? See, a good song can mask average/bad sound design. :borg:

So, tough to comment others. I will say, however, that Rellik was my only 5-star rating. Good composition, very interesting drum sounds. I can certainly see the merits in both of these aspects. :band:
Sound designer, composer, writer, FM8-galore, Win/SSD/i7/32GB

TrojakEW
KVRist

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:38 am

CS_TBL wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:17 am
In terms of sound design, it matters which synth is chosen.
Yes but only a little. More important is the person who using it. No matter the synth or synthesis used. You can give me fastest car on the world but I still loose the race even to the walking person. Why? Because I do not know ho to drive.
CS_TBL wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:17 am
Also, what's the value of someone making a tune with simple sounds? E.g. a standaard sawtooth bass (osc->filter->envelope(F,A)->chorus). I would say there's little sound design merit in that, but what if it does work in context of a song? How to rate those merits then? What are we rating anyway? Sound-design or song-writing skills? See, a good song can mask average/bad sound design. :borg:
Choosing correct sound for composition is important part. It doesn't mean that sound have to be complex or unique. Creating track using only basic shapes like sine, saw, square is challenging. It is not that you mask or hide average sound design but it is about proper use of those sounds no matter the complexity of the preset you made or use.

So yes your opinion important. At leat you used your opinion for voting. Or do you use random number generator to distribute points? So you can always share this (your) opinion.
Image Image Image Image

schiing
KVRist
299 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:45 am

Thanks for enjoying my piece - and I'd definitely say that the right track won! Go, commerce!

(Seriously, though, liqih: I share your view that some tracks don't get all the love they deserve on OSC, and yours are among them. But I'm not convinced that you're serving your own arguments very well by jumping so quickly to conclusions about other people's motivations for voting and making music.)

I'll pass on my prize.

Return to “Instruments”