Hornet Opinions?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
bharris22
KVRian
1487 posts since 3 Mar, 2010

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:20 am

Hi Everyone,

I see these plugins are usually on sale at very low prices. I was thinking of picking some up during the Easter sale, but was wondering if anyone had any experiences with them (good or bad) they would be willing to share? I am not thinking of these as my main effect plugins, necessarily, but something to use while traveling on a tablet, laptop, etc. until I can get back to my main rig.

Thanks!

jethrobull
KVRAF
1507 posts since 5 Jun, 2011 from England,UK

Re: Hornet Opinions?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:31 am

I purchased the Tape plugin and I really like it. I have absolutely no experience with real tape and just use it for what it is, an effect. I like what it does on my master bus (whatever it is it's doing). The dev seems a really nice guy and is very responsive. For the price, especially when they are on sale (which is every week) they are definitely worth it in my opinion.
"Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light. I just make noise"
myfeebleeffort
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Distorted Horizon
KVRAF
1943 posts since 17 Jan, 2017 from Planet of cats

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:17 am

Generally very good plugins. Though I use Melda so no need for Hornet but generally, very good plugins.

heyheycnv
KVRist
76 posts since 13 Dec, 2016

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:29 am

I have purchased around 10 Hornet plugins. Don't use them much if at all. Tape is a good but limited tone shaping tool. The different eqs and delay I got are so so. You can get the same amount of bang with the dead duck free bundle. 31 is one people really like but never caught on with me. The different gainstaging plugins are the best of the bunch.

I was very disappointed in the SongKey. Barely ever shows the right chord. Maybe it only works for keyboard/sample based stuff and not miced instruments.

The Noodlist
KVRian
622 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from Dingleborough UK

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:56 am

Last edited by The Noodlist on Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tappistry
KVRian
1268 posts since 3 Aug, 2017 from San Diego, CA

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 am

jethrobull wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:31 am
I purchased the Tape plugin and I really like it. I have absolutely no experience with real tape and just use it for what it is, an effect. I like what it does on my master bus (whatever it is it's doing). The dev seems a really nice guy and is very responsive. For the price, especially when they are on sale (which is every week) they are definitely worth it in my opinion.
I have a big bundle of them for sale if you’re interested. :)

cprompt
KVRian
795 posts since 17 Nov, 2010 from UK

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 am

If I'm honest, they're not super sexy - they don't have flashy, photo-realistic GUIs or attempt to model the "Big Names". But, they just work well! Think of them as tools to do specific jobs and you'll be very happy with them.

There are a few standouts, Tape, MultiComp Mk2 and the original SW34EQ come to mind. They work and sound great (the newer SW34EQ Mk2 has a few bugs that haven't been fixed yet).

If you're in to guitar effects, the HCS1, HTS9, HDD1 and Wah are great and the Chorus60 (off a Juno) is one of my favourite choruses.

I would say there are some I have that I don't use much, but there are some I use all the time because they're fantastic (the HTS9 is my favourite Tube Screamer).

XxEDxX
KVRer
21 posts since 31 Mar, 2019

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:44 am

These plugins are a bang for the buck. They're fun to work with and they do their job. The autogain alone for less than 10$ is a no brainer, compared to the waves or Meldaproduction one.

DrMEM
KVRist
181 posts since 6 Aug, 2017

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:40 am

I like thirty one on the 2 bus. It's a little cpu hungry but it's a nice unique effect. Give it a demo.

I don't find much use for anything else they make.

DJErmac
KVRian
816 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:42 pm

I've tried a lot and never purchased any. Not that they're bad, but I have better for everything they cover.

Dasheesh
KVRAF
3404 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:46 pm

for the money he's hard to beat. high sound quality and easy to use gui's. not sure what else you want.

dionenoid
KVRist
138 posts since 3 Jan, 2019

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Hornet VU Meter Mk3 is such a time saver, absolute must-have for gain-staging.

pekbro
KVRAF
2624 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:19 pm

Definitely some great plugins for those who are just starting out or don't want to spend a lot of cash.
They are generally very efficient, cpu and otherwise, and compatibility is rarely an issue.

They might not be the most exciting range of plugins, but you cant go wrong for the most part
as they generally deliver on whats promised. Much of the stuff can be quite handy as they
are often designed to work together as a controllable group. Like auto gain staging etc...

While I cant say I use them everyday, I do use them fairly often under specific circumstances
and own most of them.

Saverio is also a pretty cool guy :tu: Just give them a try, simple as that.

*Definitely one of the best performance/quality vs cost ratios of any developer (imho).
Which seems to be their business model, Hornet is never going to try and rip you off.

Fleer
KVRAF
4193 posts since 23 Aug, 2014 from Boston/Cambridge

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:13 pm

Yep. Hornet rocks :tu:

antic604
KVRAF
2319 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:21 am

Small, simple, very focused and effective. Great & cheap tools for the job.
Bitwig 2 // Reason 10 // Cubase Pro 10 @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604
other stuff - Psytrance in Bitwig Studio tutorial

Return to “Effects”