Hornet Opinions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

my only gripe with them is their GUI's. Channel Strip MKII was awesome, and looked great - just needed a few tweaks around usability. Channel Strip MKIII was even more awesome, but was such a sore to look at that i ended up gravitating towards other plugins to avoid looking at it. i sold it eventually. generally i found that for me, this applies to most Hornet plugins.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

SongKey works great for me its usually always one of the 3 keys it shows
heyheycnv wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:29 pm I have purchased around 10 Hornet plugins. Don't use them much if at all. Tape is a good but limited tone shaping tool. The different eqs and delay I got are so so. You can get the same amount of bang with the dead duck free bundle. 31 is one people really like but never caught on with me. The different gainstaging plugins are the best of the bunch.

I was very disappointed in the SongKey. Barely ever shows the right chord. Maybe it only works for keyboard/sample based stuff and not miced instruments.

Thank you all for your thoughts! I will definitely be picking up more of these this weekend :).

The group linking of instances is a good feature.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

imho Hornet stuff is ace. Great dev.

Analog Stage can be a useful for softening digital harshness.

TrackUtility v2 is my go-to.

I also have AutoGainPro v2 but I have not been able to use it yet. CPU hungry on the laptop, downright unusable on my Ryzen 7 PC. Sad because it's a beast of a plugin for transparent compression.

I've considered a few other ones but not unique enough vs stuff I already have, and I find the GUIs uninviting.

Just messing with my Hornet plugins. I have a lot of the "Cadillac" plugins out there but Hornet's are a good option when you don't need all the bells and whistles but still want a quality sound. I'd say they are one of the best values for plugins out there. And they often have 40-60% off sales which pulls them into the no-brainer realm. The thing is you have to get used to them and understand their strengths and limitations so when you are in the flow of mixing you remember to use them. I find it's easy to grab a "cadillac" plugin when a Hornet plugin will work well enough. :phones:

Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 1.57.12 PM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tape is awesome.

I like the guitar fx series

I once was inspired to create a bit of music for a thread here that was about (iIrc) not being able to get good clean Fender-like sounds out of amp-sims... somehow (as per usual actually tbh) I couldn't be bothered to post it - but I'll do that now:

http://data.handmademusic.ch/music/Buffaloes.mp3

All the "amps" used for it are Hornet's Guitar Kit.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:58 pm I once was inspired to create a bit of music for a thread here that was about (iIrc) not being able to get good clean Fender-like sounds out of amp-sims... somehow (as per usual actually tbh) I couldn't be bothered to post it - but I'll do that now:

That sounds great! Love how the playing takes me through different mental loops. Is that Waves Vinyl? :phones:

jens wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:58 pm I once was inspired to create a bit of music for a thread here that was about (iIrc) not being able to get good clean Fender-like sounds out of amp-sims... somehow (as per usual actually tbh) I couldn't be bothered to post it - but I'll do that now:

Nice sounds, nice playing too

Multicomp Plus MK2 is awesome versatile compressor.
Low CPU usage,Visual feedback,Compressor character types and sounds are quite good.
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

I have no expierience with all of their plugins but corrosion is one of my favorite plugins of all time. Its essential for my bassdrums to give that gritty pressure character (like the woofer goes under bass pressure).

Best is to demo.

Return to “Effects”