Mulab 8:This is by far the best timestretch algo of all DAWs!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What about time shrinking... making slow things faster.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

mitchiemasha wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:33 pm What about time shrinking... making slow things faster.
That´s normally quite easy for every algo out there as artefacts are not as noticeable...
The challenge is timestretching (slow down) and pitch shifting (especially up)

wow! Impressive
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Nice.

I'm glad someone made this thread, I tried the Mulab demo and coudn't quite belive my ears with the spctral timestretch, fantastic sounding.
I'm a longtime MUX user so looking forward to that being released. It's worth noting that Mux 8 will then have timestretching samplers, additive, wavetable, granular and subtractive synthesis as well as audio rate modulation in a completely customisable package. Insane value.

Those Mulab timestretch examples sound fantastic! Very few metallic artifacts I often hear when going beyond 200%. I was curious how it would sound stretched with some other algorithms and methods. Here are 3 with your original example mixed among them, one using Reason's new Grain instrument and another with Reason's default Allround mode. Not bad for a 10 year old timestretching algorithm.

https://soundcloud.com/tronam/timestretch-test/s-ogp33

I'm curious about the other examples too, especially with transient heavy samples like drumloops.
Last edited by Tronam on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:21 pm To be honest, what I want is MuLab timeline/tracks inside MUX.
That's what I used to like about energyXT, being able to have multiple 'sequencers' (audio or midi timelines) within it's modular environment, all chugging along at different lengths etc. Shame the rest of the environment was really just plugins though, no where near the flexibility of Mux.

Trancit wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:00 am
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:33 am
Aloysius wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:53 am I think most DAWs use the zplane algorithm. So if this is better than that, then it's better than ''all'' the others.
Digital Performer uses ZTX.

http://admiralbumblebee.com/music/2019/ ... tique.html
I don´t know ZTX algo´s but for my understanding elastic pro´s are the state of the art and available in nearly every DAW...
MuLab´s timestretch especially for drums for me blows it so much out of the water that they left this universe if you understand what I mean...
My example is of course overdone by far as this isn´t really what you mostly do with drums but I was so fanscinated how it still sounds like hihats and percussion with these extreme settings while the other completely destroyed the original character and transients...

I didn´t tried the pitchshifting till now but from what I´ve seen in the vid it sounds great too
I do know that ZTX supposedly sounds better than Elastic Pro, here's a breakdown someone did. https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... tique.html
Robert the owner of that site claims Logic, Pro Tools, Bitiwig and Cubase all use Elastique Pro, and I know Live does, so...

What with ZTX and MuLabs new algorithm Elastic Pro just got served.

I had to deal with plumbing problems all day and am leaving town for work, but anyone who wants to compare ZTX in DP10 to MuLabs new algorithm I would love to know how it sounds. If no one gets to it in the next couple weeks, I'll test it out here when I get back to decent speakers etc. :)

I linked to the same blog post you did...? :D

The link you gave doesn´t play the drum samples for me... It just says "Loading..." therefore I didn´t refer to them...

But judging from the Vox example ZTX uses granular too and sounds a tiny bit better than Elastique...

I wouldn´t expect much improvement on drums like I heard from the spectral mode of M8... but as I said... it doesn´t play the samples here...

I think with granular timestretch we reached the limit here and if something sounds 1% better as the other... hmmm don´t care really...
This is what M8 comes in for me... different approach and a really noticeable result...

Has anyone compared this to Seratos timestretch algorithm? I find Seratos timestretch algorithm really smooth too.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:11 am I linked to the same blog post you did...? :D
That's funny! Robert is cool. I just figured you posted MOTU's specs. DP judging by internet presence is about the same tiny dedicated user base as Bidule, Mulab or Soundblade. OK maybe slightly more, but yeah it's down there with Bitwig at the least.

I'm still a fan, I use Live and Reaper almost as much, but DP is comfortable. If they get their Clips window right, and fix bugs and export options, I would hardly leave it.

Trancit wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:41 am The link you gave doesn´t play the drum samples for me... It just says "Loading..." therefore I didn´t refer to them...
Those samples are wav files, so it takes a bit to load up. They all work here. Just need to wait for the page to load. It says so in the blog post...

See click-bait subject line

Open linked video

Jaw drop...

EvilDragon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:55 am
Trancit wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:41 am The link you gave doesn´t play the drum samples for me... It just says "Loading..." therefore I didn´t refer to them...
Those samples are wav files, so it takes a bit to load up. They all work here. Just need to wait for the page to load. It says so in the blog post...
On firefox... no chance...
I opened the link in Microsoft Edge there it worked...

For me ZTX for drums is far worse than elastique... far to grainy, destroys the transients and in the later part it does some ugly pitch rise on the kick attack... absolutely no comparison to M8...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”