Mulab 8:This is by far the best timestretch algo of all DAWs!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You indeed can hear the fft resynthesis. The audio becomes more indirect and there's still some sizzleing going on. I think transient smearing is still happening and this example is not chosen well because it already sound so soft and washy. I'd love to see some real crisp drumset, some tight snare or so.

Trancit wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:56 pm Found another vid...
Even more impressed with the workflow as this all happens inside of a single clip!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Gk_toypxw
Wow, I could have done with this twenty years ago when Big Beat was all the rage... :)

I'll need to seriously demo this now as most of the stuff I do is based around sound manipulation (making loops out of field recordings etc), could be a game changer in my workflow.

bmanic wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 pm I'd prefer it to be exactly the opposite way around (and usually the case everywhere else on a computer.. it's why something is called "highlighted")
When you click on the waveform in Edit view it opens the Audio Lab where you can zoom in, precisely set markers, open the context menu with DSP commands, etc.
In the Audio Lab an audio event IS highlighted when you select it.
Selected events are also highlighted in the samplers.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Eh? I don't think you understood what I was saying.

I am complaining about the COLOR of the selected/highlighted item. It is DARK instead of bright. Dark highlight is very rare and usually avoided by most software for good reasons. It's a bad and unintuitive design.

As I remember it, MuLab 6 was full of weird design choices that didn't make much sense. Thus my memory of that DAW is quite negative.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Sam-U wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:18 pm You indeed can hear the fft resynthesis. The audio becomes more indirect and there's still some sizzleing going on. I think transient smearing is still happening and this example is not chosen well because it already sound so soft and washy. I'd love to see some real crisp drumset, some tight snare or so.
The whole point was that NONE of the current time stretching algorithms fare well with drums. It's just the nature of the whole process. However, MuLab 8's time stretching has in my opinion the best compromises so far. The transients are still there and you don't get the weird metallic rattling that plagues almost everything else.

If you can show us a time stretching algo that can do 400% slowdown without issues then you are a wizard.

bmanic wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:52 pmIt is DARK instead of bright.
I understand. The highlight is dark only in the main Edit view. To have a bright highlight just click on the waveform and it opens that waveform in the Audio Lab.
https://www.mutools.com/info/docs/common/audiolab.html
The highlights are also bright in the samplers. It is a visually nice workflow!
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

.. so it's different way of highlighting in different places? That's even worse. Consistency is key for good UI design and if that's the case it's even worse then.

The design choices work well in each context. I find the UI relaxing, with few distractions.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Defintitely sounds okay. It has of course other trade offs instead. Good to have another choice, but it's rarely I'd stretch something by 400% :lol: And for the small amounts of stretch I've been doing so far, conventional rhythmic/slicing algorithms or EA did work best with nearly no side effects.

@Trancit

You are the original poster. Can you edit the topic to include MuLab 8? This would give some attention to Jo. He definitely deserves it. For instance something like this: "MuLab 8. This is the best timestretch algo of all DAWs!!". :)

bmanic wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 pm @Trancit

You are the original poster. Can you edit the topic to include MuLab 8? This would give some attention to Jo. He definitely deserves it. For instance something like this: "MuLab 8. This is the best timestretch algo of all DAWs!!". :)
Why not... 8)

...better now?? :D

Wow. I hope that this timestretch algo gets licenced to Ableton sometime in the future. It sounds very good.

DocSnyder wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:53 pm Defintitely sounds okay. It has of course other trade offs instead. Good to have another choice, ...
You are british, aren´t you... then I could take this as a compliment as it sounds far better than just "okay"...
but it's rarely I'd stretch something by 400% :lol: And for the small amounts of stretch I've been doing so far, conventional rhythmic/slicing algorithms or EA did work best with nearly no side effects.
I take this the other way round:
If it sounds so much better at extreme settings I am even more "safe" at common settings

Second, with sound design like shown in the example vids it comes very easily to extreme settings, better to have an algo like this...

No, not british :D I only don't get why I should hype it now. I heard the examples, but didn't test it on my own with many sources. If it satifies your needs, cool.

Can the stretch be limited to a pitch range selected?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”