Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
Hink
Rad Grandad
28440 posts since 6 Sep, 2003 from Downeast Maine

Post Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:12 pm

oh sure blame us
Albert Einstein may have been a genius but his brother Frank was a monster

deastman
KVRAF
7102 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Deep Purple wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:32 pm
vurt wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:25 am
the world will be run by apes.

get your stinking paws off my daw you damn dirty ape :x
You maniacs!… You blew it up!… Ah, damn you!…
God damn you all to hell!!

Image
:lol:
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

deastman
KVRAF
7102 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 pm

telecode wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 am
I am personally finding the movement in hardware devices like what Akai is doing with the MPC Live and Force very interesting. A move away from being tied to a computer and DAW and instead an all in one device that replaces it. It doesn't work for my personally as I need to be able to sit at a computer in order to focus and pay attention to one thing, but the fact that Akai are making the products seems to indicate they see something in the marketplace and see a demand for it.

So far I really liked what I saw when I tried out the MPC live, but found it still a little to bukly to be a portable DAW. Perhaps in 10 years it will be leaner and slimmer and more powerful.
I have an MPC Live on its way to me as we speak. And I’ll probably end up getting whatever comes after the Force too. Those are very cool devices, no doubt about it, but hardly a new concept. Aside from advances in miniaturization of electronics and associated software developments, an MPC Live is more or less doing the same thing that a Fairlight did decades ago. Dedicated music computers are not exactly a fresh and revolutionary idea.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

reggie1979
KVRist
445 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Deep Purple wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:32 pm
vurt wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:25 am
the world will be run by apes.

get your stinking paws off my daw you damn dirty ape :x
You maniacs!… You blew it up!… Ah, damn you!…
God damn you all to hell!!

Image
:clap:

User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27042 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:01 am

Deep Purple wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:32 pm
vurt wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:25 am
the world will be run by apes.

get your stinking paws off my daw you damn dirty ape :x
You maniacs!… You blew it up!… Ah, damn you!…
God damn you all to hell!!
apespog.jpg
ftfy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
545 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:57 am

deastman wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 pm
telecode wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 am
I am personally finding the movement in hardware devices like what Akai is doing with the MPC Live and Force very interesting. A move away from being tied to a computer and DAW and instead an all in one device that replaces it. It doesn't work for my personally as I need to be able to sit at a computer in order to focus and pay attention to one thing, but the fact that Akai are making the products seems to indicate they see something in the marketplace and see a demand for it.

So far I really liked what I saw when I tried out the MPC live, but found it still a little to bukly to be a portable DAW. Perhaps in 10 years it will be leaner and slimmer and more powerful.
I have an MPC Live on its way to me as we speak. And I’ll probably end up getting whatever comes after the Force too. Those are very cool devices, no doubt about it, but hardly a new concept. Aside from advances in miniaturization of electronics and associated software developments, an MPC Live is more or less doing the same thing that a Fairlight did decades ago. Dedicated music computers are not exactly a fresh and revolutionary idea.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Image

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44345 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:39 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:01 am
Deep Purple wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:32 pm
vurt wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:25 am
the world will be run by apes.

get your stinking paws off my daw you damn dirty ape :x
You maniacs!… You blew it up!… Ah, damn you!…
God damn you all to hell!!

apespog.jpg
ftfy
ha! planet of the pogs :lol:

User avatar
EnochLight
KVRian
1213 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from your mom

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:33 pm

deastman wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 pm
I have an MPC Live on its way to me as we speak.
I picked up an MPC Live a couple of weeks ago. Originally had the Touch, and I liked it so much it just made sense to send it back and go with the standalone. :party: Just installed a 1 TB SSD in my MPC Live, which is probably far more storage than I'll ever need for the time being.

Once you get yours, if you like keeping it on the table while you work, check out this 3D printed stand that's available. The files are free - you just need to find someone with a 3D printer to make it (or use an online service).

This cost me a total of $1.25 in 3D printing substrate, and some Super Glue to glue the pieces together. Keeps the Live at the perfect angle for viewing the touch screen, and drumming is awesome. Also allows me to leave it mounted with my Decksaver Cover:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3247554
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  • Presonus Studio One 4.5 | too many VSTi's to name
  • Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10.4 | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Tech Panorama P4 | Akai MPC Live | too many RE's to name

User avatar
jancivil
KVRAF
18251 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:45 pm

telecode wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 am
I am personally finding the movement in hardware devices like what Akai is doing with the MPC Live and Force very interesting. A move away from being tied to a computer and DAW and instead an all in one device that replaces it.
Actually a regression; to "replace" something logically means it does that same thing; so it doesn't do that for one who uses more than it offers, which would seem to be quite a lot in a modern DAW. As to the negative 'tied to a computer', you're still tied to a machine, one is not more free by having a different paradigm per se. It may work for you for whatever reason but this is at best a lateral move for those with narrower interest. "the movement" probably overstates the thing.

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
545 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:32 am

jancivil wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:45 pm
telecode wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 am
I am personally finding the movement in hardware devices like what Akai is doing with the MPC Live and Force very interesting. A move away from being tied to a computer and DAW and instead an all in one device that replaces it.
Actually a regression; to "replace" something logically means it does that same thing; so it doesn't do that for one who uses more than it offers, which would seem to be quite a lot in a modern DAW. As to the negative 'tied to a computer', you're still tied to a machine, one is not more free by having a different paradigm per se. It may work for you for whatever reason but this is at best a lateral move for those with narrower interest. "the movement" probably overstates the thing.
I see your point. I guess it really depends on what sort of music you make and what kinds of sounds and instruments you use. For orchestral scores and so on, a MPC Live device would not be a good solution. For making beats and EDM type music, it would be a good solution. I really like the device. I havn't gotten it yet but am seriously considering it.

I see it a bit like the difference between playing a hardware synth vs a VST or a real piano vs a VST piano. There is a certain focus and attention to the instrument and what you are doing that happens when you play the instrument on its own vs when its a VST on a computer and you attached to a fully fledged computer. Its just not the same feeling.
Last edited by telecode on Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Image

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
545 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:35 am

EnochLight wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:33 pm
deastman wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 pm
I have an MPC Live on its way to me as we speak.
I picked up an MPC Live a couple of weeks ago. Originally had the Touch, and I liked it so much it just made sense to send it back and go with the standalone. :party: Just installed a 1 TB SSD in my MPC Live, which is probably far more storage than I'll ever need for the time being.

Once you get yours, if you like keeping it on the table while you work, check out this 3D printed stand that's available. The files are free - you just need to find someone with a 3D printer to make it (or use an online service).

This cost me a total of $1.25 in 3D printing substrate, and some Super Glue to glue the pieces together. Keeps the Live at the perfect angle for viewing the touch screen, and drumming is awesome. Also allows me to leave it mounted with my Decksaver Cover:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3247554
Thanks for the post and info. So how are you finding the MPC Live? What sort of music do you make? What other tools do you use? What other tool did the MPC Live replace for you? I am still on the fence about getting one. Mostly because I can't be arsed to learn a new DAW.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Image

User avatar
EnochLight
KVRian
1213 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from your mom

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:22 am

telecode wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:35 am
EnochLight wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:33 pm
deastman wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 pm
I have an MPC Live on its way to me as we speak.
I picked up an MPC Live a couple of weeks ago. Originally had the Touch, and I liked it so much it just made sense to send it back and go with the standalone. :party: Just installed a 1 TB SSD in my MPC Live, which is probably far more storage than I'll ever need for the time being.

Once you get yours, if you like keeping it on the table while you work, check out this 3D printed stand that's available. The files are free - you just need to find someone with a 3D printer to make it (or use an online service).

This cost me a total of $1.25 in 3D printing substrate, and some Super Glue to glue the pieces together. Keeps the Live at the perfect angle for viewing the touch screen, and drumming is awesome. Also allows me to leave it mounted with my Decksaver Cover:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3247554
Thanks for the post and info. So how are you finding the MPC Live? What sort of music do you make? What other tools do you use? What other tool did the MPC Live replace for you? I am still on the fence about getting one. Mostly because I can't be arsed to learn a new DAW.
I love the MPC Live! The fact that I can just pick it up with a set of cans and be 100% fully mobile at a moments notice - complete with a quality pad controller and touch screen, is just phenomenal. I come from the very old days of big-ass keyboard workstations (Ensoniq VFX line, EPS16+ line, ASR-10 line,) so I’ve always wanted to go back to that feeling of not having to rely on a mouse and keyboard. In the box is what I was after. I considered some of the Teenage Engineering stuff but wanted a more feature-packed device and large touch screen, and THOSE PADS. Probably the best in the industry.

I can get about 4-6 hours of runtime on it, which is perfect for a road trip or afternoon in the park or beach. I also use Reason, as well as bass guitar, electric and acoustic guitar.

It’s not without its limits - only 8 audio tracks in standalone mode - so if I need to lay down full vocals and record some live guitar or bass, I have to plan carefully, but it forces you to be creative. But in controller mode running the desktop software, it’s limitless. Plus, it’s super easy to transfer your projects to your computer, and then you can open them in the MPC Software, and then run that as a VST plugin inside your DAW of choice to add on, finish, polish, and master. It’s quite a brilliant approach really.

I do a variety of genres: EDM, “beats”, as well as traditional “rock” (well, traditional in the sense that there’s bass guitar and lead guitar on top of rhythm). It lends itself to all of those (and more), IMHO.
  • Presonus Studio One 4.5 | too many VSTi's to name
  • Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10.4 | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Tech Panorama P4 | Akai MPC Live | too many RE's to name

User avatar
telecode
KVRian
545 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:25 pm

EnochLight wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:22 am
telecode wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:35 am
EnochLight wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:33 pm
deastman wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 pm
I have an MPC Live on its way to me as we speak.
I picked up an MPC Live a couple of weeks ago. Originally had the Touch, and I liked it so much it just made sense to send it back and go with the standalone. :party: Just installed a 1 TB SSD in my MPC Live, which is probably far more storage than I'll ever need for the time being.

Once you get yours, if you like keeping it on the table while you work, check out this 3D printed stand that's available. The files are free - you just need to find someone with a 3D printer to make it (or use an online service).

This cost me a total of $1.25 in 3D printing substrate, and some Super Glue to glue the pieces together. Keeps the Live at the perfect angle for viewing the touch screen, and drumming is awesome. Also allows me to leave it mounted with my Decksaver Cover:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3247554
Thanks for the post and info. So how are you finding the MPC Live? What sort of music do you make? What other tools do you use? What other tool did the MPC Live replace for you? I am still on the fence about getting one. Mostly because I can't be arsed to learn a new DAW.
I love the MPC Live! The fact that I can just pick it up with a set of cans and be 100% fully mobile at a moments notice - complete with a quality pad controller and touch screen, is just phenomenal. I come from the very old days of big-ass keyboard workstations (Ensoniq VFX line, EPS16+ line, ASR-10 line,) so I’ve always wanted to go back to that feeling of not having to rely on a mouse and keyboard. In the box is what I was after. I considered some of the Teenage Engineering stuff but wanted a more feature-packed device and large touch screen, and THOSE PADS. Probably the best in the industry.

I can get about 4-6 hours of runtime on it, which is perfect for a road trip or afternoon in the park or beach. I also use Reason, as well as bass guitar, electric and acoustic guitar.

It’s not without its limits - only 8 audio tracks in standalone mode - so if I need to lay down full vocals and record some live guitar or bass, I have to plan carefully, but it forces you to be creative. But in controller mode running the desktop software, it’s limitless. Plus, it’s super easy to transfer your projects to your computer, and then you can open them in the MPC Software, and then run that as a VST plugin inside your DAW of choice to add on, finish, polish, and master. It’s quite a brilliant approach really.

I do a variety of genres: EDM, “beats”, as well as traditional “rock” (well, traditional in the sense that there’s bass guitar and lead guitar on top of rhythm). It lends itself to all of those (and more), IMHO.
Thanks. If, you dont mind, will PM you a quick q.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Image

benjamind
KVRian
1075 posts since 4 Aug, 2004 from Ain't tellin' ya...

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:10 am

Everything at your fingertips. Futuristic MIDI controllers. Virtual instruments recreating every conceivable instrument out there. Want an Epiphone or a Strat? Sure, load the preset, it's there. Want a string section or a woodwinds section? No problem, there it is. Want to set up a complete virtual orchestra? Consider it done!

Stuff like that will be commonplace.

Now, even the older artists will still be pumping out music. That won't change. What will change is how easy it will be to put those ideas in your head right to the music making AI/instrument setup.
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

User avatar
Timfonie
KVRian
1411 posts since 7 Jan, 2004

Re: Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:12 am

To summarize:

Even more abundance, software wise.
Lots of AI.
Lots of subscriptions in less open systems.

Too easy to create songs <-- while --> Almost impossible to even get noticed.

Too many people want to create <-- while --> Too few want to listen what others produce (with the help of AI).

We've already passed the hey days of music production.

We'll be living in the digital age of plenty where we can't be sure if a human or AI created a song.

Expect the reappraisal of live music. Acoustic live music in particular. You can't fool it's created by (the help of) a AI DAW!
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”