Music streaming services with DRM-free offline download?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Historically I've not been much of a music streamer, preferring to buy individuals songs or albums that strike my fancy. However, as the streaming market has grown and the number of service providers has increased, I'm wondering if it would be more cost effective to simply pay for a monthly subscription.

The big caveat here is that I'd still like to be able to download my favorite songs DRM-free for offline listening (say for example as a 320 kbps MP3). Most of the reviews I've read for streaming services talk about downloaded songs being tied to the services' proprietary app, limited to a single device, or becoming disabled if you ever cancel your subscription. Is there a service that will actually allow me to download songs that can be played on any device in perpetuity?

I normally listen to music as MP3s on my PC, so anything that is limited to iOS, Android, or some other mobile platform is a nonstarter. If there's anything out there that fits the bill, I'd love to hear peoples' recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

I certainly don't know of any - but Amazon Music might be one? They are constantly changing what's in their lineup.

I really hope something like this doesn't exist.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

crap
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This „I want everything for free“ attitude is the death of creative arts.

Kongru wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:50 pm I really hope something like this doesn't exist.
Don't worry, it doesn't. Would defeat the whole "streaming services" idea.
martinjuenke wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 pm This „I want everything for free“ attitude is the death of creative arts.
Exactly. :tu:

I really hope that people will learn one day that their attitude killed the artist's ability to make money, and nothing else.

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:50 pm This „I want everything for free“ attitude is the death of creative arts.
Couldn't agree more.

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:52 pm
Kongru wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:50 pm I really hope something like this doesn't exist.
Don't worry, it doesn't. Would defeat the whole "streaming services" idea.
Exactly. :tu:

I really hope that people will learn one day that their attitude killed the artist's ability to make money, and nothing else.
Clearly I need to do a better job paying attention to KVR's Forum Notification icon, as I forgot all about this thread and didn't realize 1) how many responses there were and 2) the impassioned responses it would elicit. I had no idea such a simple, honest question would stir up so much antipathy in people.

Let me start with a stern admonishment for all the presupposers out there who seem to have a clairvoyant knowledge of my motivations, background, and music consumption habits. As a hobbyist musician myself, and someone who has already spent hundreds of dollars on Bandcamp this year putting money directly into the pockets of artists as opposed to behemoth middlemen like Google and Amazon, to accuse me of being an entitled freeloader is laughable and insulting. If people want to say my question was silly because it would be self-defeating for companies, fair enough, but leave the unprovoked attacks on my integrity at the door. It's especially disappointing coming from people who have been around KVR long enough to know what civil discourse does and does not look like.

I guess next time around I'll just keep my questions to myself, lest I become the target of someone else's indiscriminate self-righteousness...

Honestly you have got to be kidding me... you are disappointed? If you are searching for a service that might exist that would let you download unlimited albums to keep (at 320k! no less) for 10 bucks a month, then you are looking to be an "entitled freeloader" (your words)

ummm… your question is silly.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”