Why Can't We Get A CS-80 VST That Actually Sounds Like a CS-80?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BBFG# wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:38 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:07 pm
BBFG# wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:03 pm Bottom line... The greater majority of players don't need one. The current ones will do for them.
And there's a very good chance that if you bought one just to fill your personal taste, it would somehow fall just as short.
Oh? Really? Let's see.

Bought Polymoog emulation (XILS PolyM). LOVE it! They hit that one out of the park. I cannot tell the difference.

Bought Minimoog emulation (The Legend) LOVE it! Also, a home run, unlike Arturia's which just sucks on all levels.

Bought Melotron emulation (GForce M-Tron Pro) LOVE it! Another amazing emulation.

So why would I be disappointed if somebody actually came out with a CS-80 emulation that ACTUALLY sounds like a CS-80?
I didn't say you'd be disappointed with the emulation, but that there's a good chance you'd be just as disappointed with a real CS now. Because what you fail to realize is that you're dealing with a memory more than the instrument itself. Those others you say 'nailed' the emulation? Well, not everyone agrees with that either. Because what everyone remembers is not necessarily the actuality.
Okay, let's assume you're right. Let's assume that my "memory" of these synths is not 100% accurate because of the time lapse factor (though I can still go and listen to these synths today).

As with the synths I mentioned above, just give me an emulation that I'm happy with. I am NOT happy with the emulations that are currently available for the CS-80, whereas I AM happy with the emulations available for the synths I did mention.

So then will you admit they're good, just not good enough for you?
(BTW, I go through the same thing with Memorymoog emus not being good enough for me.) And I also feel the Polymoog emulations are way better than the real thing.

BBFG# wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:47 pm So then will you admit they're good, just not good enough for you?
(BTW, I go through the same thing with Memorymoog emus not being good enough for me.) And I also feel the Polymoog emulations are way better than the real thing.
No, no, no. I did NOT say the CS-80 emulations are good. They're horrible. I mean if they were at least decent I wouldn't have even started this thread. They are an insult to the instrument. Did whoever make them even have a working CS-80 to model anything off of? I doubt it.

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:35 pm ive never actually had my hands on one ...
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Well, I don't think you'll ever be happy. Seems like you spend way too much time insuring you just can't be.

also, hive has that brassy saw going on and it's dual layer. :hihi:

You're very hard to like Wags
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

BBFG# wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:56 pm Well, I don't think you'll ever be happy. Seems like you spend way too much time insuring you just can't be.
Again, what makes you say that? I'm happy with many emulations I've purchased. So your assumption is based on no factual evidence. Make a CS-80 emulation that sounds as close to a CS-80 as those other emulations sound to the synths they're emulating. How hard can that be?

Again, how about just answer the question in the thread title.

Why can't we?

No one cares?
Not enough money to be made?
Too much trouble?

It cannot be because we don't have the technology. We've proven that we do.

So why can't we do this?

Halonmusic wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:59 pm You're very hard to like Wags
You know what? I really don't care. You're more than welcome to ignore me.

"not good enough" was the answer. because no matter how good it gets, there will be something someone will see as missing. because, you can't exactly reproduce an analog machine played and recorded 40 years in the past. too many variables. that's what made them special. each one was unique and special.

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:06 pm "not good enough" was the answer. because no matter how good it gets, there will be something someone will see as missing. because, you can't exactly reproduce an analog machine played and recorded 40 years in the past. too many variables. that's what made them special. each one was unique and special.
No, no, no. Again, listen to The Legend and the PolyM.

Please, just STOP.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:00 pm
BBFG# wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:56 pm Well, I don't think you'll ever be happy. Seems like you spend way too much time insuring you just can't be.
Again, what makes you say that? I'm happy with many emulations I've purchased. So your assumption is based on no factual evidence. Make a CS-80 emulation that sounds as close to a CS-80 as those other emulations sound to the synths they're emulating. How hard can that be?

Why can't we?

No one cares?
Too much trouble?

So why can't we do this?
Well, it seems more that what you are is moody and fickle and that "happiness" can pass as easily as it came. To an extent, that happens with all of us, but you talk about it more.

To more than a few of us, you are a cautionary tale of what happens when someone lives too much in the past. And I'm glad you're here to remind me of how I could fall into that as well. So good job.
Last edited by BBFG# on Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBFG# wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:09 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:00 pm

Why can't we?

No one cares?
Too much trouble?

So why can't we do this?
Well, it seems more that what you are is moody and fickle and that "happiness" can pass as easily as it came. To an extent, that happens with all of us, but you talk about more.

To more than a few of us, you are a cautionary tale of what happens when someone lives too much in the past. And I'm glad you're here to remind me of that I could fall into that as well. So good job.
And good job evading answering my question. Again, nothing to do with living in the past.

The Legend - Great emulation of a synth older than 90% of the people in this forum.

This has nothing to do with time. This has to do with accurately emulating a piece of gear.

But by all means, keep dodging the question until I just get fed up and lock this thread.

I didn't evade it. I just gave you the uncomfortable answer.
Or equally, one could answer, because you haven't designed it yourself.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:36 pm
Maybe that's the answer to my question and I can just go lock this thread because I don't need to hear people that we have synths that either sound better or can come close.
Wags, I have no intent on disrespecting you at all... but personally, I think locking the thread after a day is a bit hasty. You ask great questions and sometimes it takes the right person to answer them. Gotta give your topics a chance to breathe... even if the 1st 4 pages get annoying.

To put in my 2 cents, BTW, I tried the Aruria CS-80 & the Other one (I forget the name). I agree, this synth hasn't been done any justice in the VST world. I think this is one of the few that require some different direction in virtual software as far as technological as well as understanding the musicianship towards the instrument.

This, A JD-850 & an Andromeda are big synths that , if done correctly, could fill someone's sonic pallet for years.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Return to “Instruments”