Why Can't We Get A CS-80 VST That Actually Sounds Like a CS-80?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Neon Breath wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:56 pm A good artist/musician will always find a way to come up with something amazing, even when working with a poor instrument.
A poor artist/musician will always find a way to come up with something bad, even when working with a good instrument.
Well said!

Think about Vangelis using a Timbre Wolf :)

I’m on the Yamaha group at Ideascale, where they solicit product ideas from the user community. Rather interestingly, Yamaha have begun to solicit comments about what people would like to see in a reissue or reboot of the CS-80.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Can you make it sound like a virus?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:48 pm
waltercruz wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:35 pm Paul Schilling on Arturia CS-80

https://soundcloud.com/paul-schilling/b ... -lead-demo
the pad is not quite there, but the lead is almost as good as the original
wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:48 pm Now go listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RScZrvTebeA

If you can't tell that the resonance of the Yamaha CS-80 filters blow away Arturia's then I don't know what to tell you.
the original pad is more organic; it has more quirk, the bass likewise, but the Schilling lead sounds quite similar to the original and equally well.
wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:48 pm There is NO comparison. The Arturia is a weak emulation at best.
see above
wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:48 pm And mind you, this isn't even one of my favorite pieces of music and isn't even the best example of what the CS-80 can do.
fortunately we have lots of possibilities to enhance our synth experiences with "analog" quirk from lots of effects.
if i walk on a meadow at night and i want to find a flower, looking to the stars above, well ... . :wink:
"It dreamed itself along"

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:22 pm
gminorcoles wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:42 pm I am a bit flabbergasted that a topic like this gets such a serious treatment and that the person who started, and behaves towards others the way he does, is treated with respect just because he owns a lot of synthesizers? This is like buying a lot of expensive hand made guitars.

The most respected members of this forum, I would think, would be people who are more adept are creating and building than the rest of us. I respect the very talented Arturia programmer who makes a 95% recreation of an old synth, I respect the gospel-trained keyboardist who plays only a B3 and a Nord Stage 2 on tour but blows my mind every show. I respect the composer who limits himself to only composing for a sad old mechanical piano.

I have to say I don't find spoiled complaining, by someone who seems proud of their lack of technical abilities, very respectable.
6 times you use the word respect... while writing a disrespectful post...
I outlined who I respect and who I think might be worthy of respect and who I do not respect, and who conducts themselves in a foolish and spoiled manner. It could not be more plain.

gminorcoles wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:34 pm
gminorcoles wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:42 pm I am a bit flabbergasted that a topic like this gets such a serious treatment and that the person who started, and behaves towards others the way he does, is treated with respect just because he owns a lot of synthesizers? This is like buying a lot of expensive hand made guitars.

The most respected members of this forum, I would think, would be people who are more adept are creating and building than the rest of us. I respect the very talented Arturia programmer who makes a 95% recreation of an old synth, I respect the gospel-trained keyboardist who plays only a B3 and a Nord Stage 2 on tour but blows my mind every show. I respect the composer who limits himself to only composing for a sad old mechanical piano.

I have to say I don't find spoiled complaining, by someone who seems proud of their lack of technical abilities, very respectable.
I outlined who I respect and who I think might be worthy of respect and who I do not respect, and who conducts themselves in a foolish and spoiled manner. It could not be more plain.
What's plain is your lack of intelligence to be able to understand his post.

As a troll, you're not a very good one.

Hi
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hello, how are you?

The Vangelis sound is not just straight out of the CS-80.

It is heavily processed.
You can get better results with the plugins doing the same.
I have heard some reasonable results with plugins but they were processed by good engineers.

It makes all the differnce.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

:idea:
Last edited by goldenanalog on Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:41 pmjust give me an emulation that I'm happy with
How would someone do that? Not trying to be smart at all. I'm just thinking that even if someone bought 10 CS-80s and modeled them to perfection would that guarantee the you would be 100% happy with it? I don't know but do they all sound the same? Are you 100% certain that what you want is the exact sound of a perfect CS-80 emulation? I think we live in a world where nothing is perfect which makes me curious, how close is close enough? I think I'm closer to the other end of the scale than (I assume) you on this issue. To choose a sound usually takes me very little time. I'm never completely happy with the sound but I don't really think I ever could be. Thinking of my favourite songs, if they changed the guitar tone by 5% I'm pretty sure they would still be song I at least liked a lot.

Even for the backing tracks I create I just get as close as I can and I have had more than a few people comment on how much like the original it sounds (and the only negative comments are usually that we don't play enough Cold Chisel).
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:41 pmjust give me an emulation that I'm happy with
How would someone do that? Not trying to be smart at all. I'm just thinking that even if someone bought 10 CS-80s and modeled them to perfection would that guarantee the you would be 100% happy with it? I don't know but do they all sound the same? Are you 100% certain that what you want is the exact sound of a perfect CS-80 emulation?
Wags will have to give his own answer... but for me, I'll use RePro-5 as an example. For me, it captures the spirit of the Prophet 5. It has a certain aliveness and vitality. It behaves very close to a Prophet 5. I consider it good enough. A CS-80 emulation as good as RePro would satisfy me.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:29 pm
morelia wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:03 pm
How would someone do that? Not trying to be smart at all. I'm just thinking that even if someone bought 10 CS-80s and modeled them to perfection would that guarantee the you would be 100% happy with it? I don't know but do they all sound the same? Are you 100% certain that what you want is the exact sound of a perfect CS-80 emulation?
Wags will have to give his own answer... but for me, I'll use RePro-5 as an example. For me, it captures the spirit of the Prophet 5. It has a certain aliveness and vitality. It behaves very close to a Prophet 5. I consider it good enough. A CS-80 emulation as good as RePro would satisfy me.
I've highlighted the word that I think presents the problem.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

What has made you laugh today?

This...
Hink wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 pmHi
Following this...
wagtunes wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:21 pm
gminorcoles wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:34 pm

What's plain is your lack of intelligence to be able to understand his post.

As a troll, you're not a very good one.

Return to “Instruments”