SFZ format documentation

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bjoerns Sample Mapper

Another consideration is now iOS an Android now have some SFZ supported applications and lots of interested users. These tools currently don't support beyond level 1 opcodes. While I see no problem in supporting advanced opcodes, catering to the largest userbase by providing sample sets using SFZ level 1 will surely be more financially viable.

Also, Awave only supports SFZ level 1 conversions, and Translator (I believe) only supports up to level 2. None support SFZ 2+
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:24 pm
PTV wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:12 pm A possible solution for sample developers is to create two sfz programs: one for Sforzando with custom controls and advanced features and another one simple "universal" sfz that can load in any sampler (just mapping)
That's really what I'd like to see. :-)
By the way, that's exactly what Impact Soundworks did with Shreddage X. They have an advanced Sforzando (SFZ 2+) version and a (LinuxSampler) (SFZ 1) version patch set. The advanced patch set has key switching and multis and such. The basic basic set has separated patches and no key switching.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Might be worth trying that with one instrument and seeing how it affects sales. Sure, Impact apparently haven't felt the need to do it since Shreddage X, but that was years ago and maybe the Linux slice has gotten bigger. I kinda associate people who use Linux for music with wanting to avoid spending any money, ha. But I'd be happy to prove myself wrong.

DSmolken wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:51 am Might be worth trying that with one instrument and seeing how it affects sales. Sure, Impact apparently haven't felt the need to do it since Shreddage X, but that was years ago and maybe the Linux slice has gotten bigger. I kinda associate people who use Linux for music with wanting to avoid spending any money, ha. But I'd be happy to prove myself wrong.
You might be right about the Linux people. Hehehe! For me, it's about having my tools stay viable for a long time. I don't mind buying software (just bought Diva), but I hate things like Challenge/Response or ILOK or operating systems that dictate how I do things or might go out of business and leave me high and dry. :-) For others, it may very well be as you say--cheapskates. :lol: But I still like the idea of having SFZ instruments work most SFZ samplers/players, and that requires an accepted baseline for SFZ. :-)

P.S. I already own Secret Agent Guitar, and would LOVE to use that with LinuxSampler (and Bliss, and other samplers), so if you are willing to do one, that would be the one I would wish for first. Please! :D

audiojunkie wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:01 pm One way to start would be to get everyone to state the opcodes used in their product currently, whether it be VST Sampler instruments/players or whether it be multisample developers. This would also go for Translation software--we would need to know what opcodes they support. Then, we could create a baseline that most developers currently use. If the major developers would be willing to divulge their level of opcode support, then that would be a great start.

Developers/products that come to mind:

LinuxSampler
Sforzando
Bliss Sampler
Carla
Redux
ChickenSys (Translator)
Awave
Karoryfer
SampleScience
Samples From Mars
Wave Alchemy
michael picher music
Jeff G
etc...
Just found this thread, after seeing my name mentioned. I'm honored to have made the list!

Seriously, though, it's frustrating that the use of one or two specific opcodes can alienate an entire group of people. I honestly don't believe some of my instruments like HamOrg or CT-7000 would work as well without key switches or how I would organize my code without that extra "<master>" layer. That said, I might be able to make it so a few of my SFZ instruments would work outside the ARIA Engine, if some of the more simpler ones don't already.

As an SFZ instrument creator, I will try to be more conscience about things like this. This thread a lot to digest, and I've really only read through the tail end of it, so if there are any other specific things that I can do to help the SFZ community, let me know!

Hi! Thank you for responding to the thread! I think it all comes down to two things: developers of multi samples and instruments need to develop towards the lowest common denominator. In this case, SFZ version 1.0. In the case of developers, they Need to develop towards the highest number of supported opcodes if that makes sense — SFZ 2.0+. Maybe a better way to put it would be they need to support the highest version of SFZ possible. That way there is a meeting of the minds or a middle ground. :-)

Big update to http://sfzformat.com - still the same basic content but thanks to a new contributor we've moved things over to Github pages which are a lot more mobile-friendly, also cleaned up a whole lot of minor errors and inconsistencies, and the information on what LinuxSampler supports is now a whole lot more correct and usable.

https://github.com/sfzformat/sfzformat.github.io is the Github repository, for anyone interested in contributing. And we also have https://github.com/sfzinstruments for open-source SFZ instruments.

This is fantastic!!! Thank you for your hard work!!! 😎👍🏼

DSmolken wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:24 am Big update to http://sfzformat.com - ...
The new site looks very cheerful and well arranged! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Another big update - added an article explaining how I got brushed snare stirs working using samples:

https://sfzformat.com/tutorials/brush_stirs

This is basically a simplified version of how it works in Unruly Drums - that just adds some "regular" stuff like more mic positions, control parameters like pan and tuning, and multiple snares to select from.

Also in the meantime there's been dozens of little fixes to various information, and also this morning I added the global_label, master_label, group_label and region_label ARIA extension opcodes, which had somehow gotten nearly lost and forgotten.

Next: probably an expansion of the vibrato article.

^^^^ You're doing incredible work DSmolken. Big Rusty Drums, Frankensnare, Swirly Drums, Unruly Drums....our planet needed them.

DSmolken wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:35 pm Another big update - added an article explaining how I got brushed snare stirs working using samples:

https://sfzformat.com/tutorials/brush_stirs

This is basically a simplified version of how it works in Unruly Drums - that just adds some "regular" stuff like more mic positions, control parameters like pan and tuning, and multiple snares to select from.

Also in the meantime there's been dozens of little fixes to various information, and also this morning I added the global_label, master_label, group_label and region_label ARIA extension opcodes, which had somehow gotten nearly lost and forgotten.

Next: probably an expansion of the vibrato article.
Fantastic work on the site!!!! Thank you, DSMolken!!!

I can't believe I got this one overlooked. Bliss supports SFZ import/export so I contacted OP to get it listed. It uses LUA for the import and anyone can enhance it: https://discodsp.net/files/sfz.lua.txt

Great work with https://sfzformat.com website btw! :tu:
Last edited by discoDSP on Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTW, DSMolken, I noticed that you don't have Carla listed as an instrument that can play SFZ files in the SFZ Players list. It is for Linux.

Thanks, will add those. There definitely is a lot more software that supports SFZ than I knew about when I started work on this.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”