A New Reason Rack Design Concept

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not entirely sure what motivated me to do this, perhaps because it's been a little while since I've done much GUI design stuff, or maybe it's because I've been spending a lot of time working on another project that I needed a different creative distraction from what I've been doing lately, or maybe I just wanted a challenge to solve a puzzle that's been sitting at the back of my mind for the past few days that I recollected from years gone by in the past. I don't really use Reason any more... so I guess it's just a bit of fun...something that just happened to grow out my head ...

Is the concept complete... I dunno...I haven't really though how much further to take it... I wanted to keep it simple I think. It's certainly a lot more different from idea's I've had years ago.

Anyways, I thought I'd share it...

Full Size Image Here

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

That looks like a whole lot of not fun to interact with.

The only things lacking from Reason’s Rack are GPU accelerated scaling, zooming, panning, and multiple columns of racks.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Were you the guy that did another Reason design concept?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:27 am Were you the guy that did another Reason design concept?
The node based one in the other thread ? Yes... but I've made many.... if you mean this one I posted early last year, yup..., you can find that project here...

https://www.3dbuzz.com/forum/threads/20 ... -SSL-Mixer

+ Unrelated but something I posted last week and you could partly see in the Reason / Studio One comparison video, was the reskin of UHE's Hive I did.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

why do you need to start a new thread for each one
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Not sure about this one. I think a Reason with Reaktor/Bitwig modular/node editor as an alternative window would go well with Reason...would be a beast. Studio One Multi Instruments node editor would be good too just not as attractive as Reaktor & Bitwig modular. As I have said from other threads, always a plus to have other working methods for different type of user.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:50 am
v1o wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:27 am Were you the guy that did another Reason design concept?
The node based one in the other thread ? Yes... but I've made many.... if you mean this one I posted early last year, yup..., you can find that project here...

https://www.3dbuzz.com/forum/threads/20 ... -SSL-Mixer

+ Unrelated but something I posted last week and you could partly see in the Reason / Studio One comparison video, was the reskin of UHE's Hive I did.
Yes that’s one. Maybe you should PM Ansou about it since he’s on here.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

deastman wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:55 pm That looks like a whole lot of not fun to interact with.

The only things lacking from Reason’s Rack are GPU accelerated scaling, zooming, panning, and multiple columns of racks.
:tu: :clap: :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

yeah, he invented reason with vsts cos he drew a pretty picture :D

deastman wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:55 pm That looks like a whole lot of not fun to interact with.

GPU accelerated scaling ?

Well there is no scaling at all let alone GPU accelerated scaling. and zooming / panning isn't possible with the SDK.

I've had a day to reflect on this concept design ...

Basically...Reason is going to have to forgo some of it's legacy in favour of future development which isn't going to hold them back. That means stripping out all the un-needed candy, and optimising the GUI performance and accessibility to connect things, quickly and easily. No more slow dragging of individual cables, simply and quickly multi-patch patch ports at speed and assign the controller knobs you want, with a complete overview that can be scaled. Rack > Device Layers > Device Groups (Like Folder Tracks).

+ The macro panel to the right in the above image is a master combinator essentially to extend the functionality where you drag and drop the assigned controls to them.

It removes the need for developers of RE's to even need to be limited by the old rack size scaling paradigm and instead follow normal VST scaling conventions like UHE does with his instruments and effects, while still retaining the front and back end functionality.

Essentially, it kills many birds with one stone so to speak whilst opening the doors to a improved workflow system that can be further enhanced.

the silence is deafening, in the future please stick to one thread for your artwork

edit: artwork on the same software that is
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

The Intrancer - i will provide you my feedback with no disrespecting intended.

I do realize you invested quite some time in doing this which is why i am actually providing you my opinion.

Device routing matrix image - looking very depressing and not "calling me" to work with it. Very dark.

I visited your other thread and i saw your other work (Reason mixer). For some reason to me all your work is very dark and then you put shiny saturated buttons and whole thing does not look balanced at all. Like a messy things.

That's how i see it. Just my opinion.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Hink wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:07 pm the silence is deafening, in the future please stick to one thread for your artwork

edit: artwork on the same software that is
Well that might have been possible if someone didn't lock them, like they did previously.

I'm not sure what any of this is intended to do, but I'm looking forward to the 3D orb version.

kmonkey wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:44 pm The Intrancer - i will provide you my feedback with no disrespecting intended.

I do realize you invested quite some time in doing this which is why i am actually providing you my opinion.

Device routing matrix image - looking very depressing and not "calling me" to work with it. Very dark.

I visited your other thread and i saw your other work (Reason mixer). For some reason to me all your work is very dark and then you put shiny saturated buttons and whole thing does not look balanced at all. Like a messy things.

That's how i see it. Just my opinion.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Dark GUI's are something that many producers are typically more use to, and if you've been use to Reason and it's primarily light GUI for many years, it's probably too much of a stark contrast to not have the brightness and illumination all the time. I used Reason for a long time where changing colour wasn't possible, but the glare always irritated when working in the dark. With 3D programs I use, I use light grey because I need the parity of lightness between the viewport and GUI. Music software is different... The image background above is essentially the inverted version of white used in the listed menus, that makes it's easier to bring the image elements all together when constructing it. Form follows function, so aesthetics come later.... :wink:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”