Roland JV-1080 finally, as virtual instrument!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Roland Cloud

Well, there are variations of the Fantom of course, but in general, it wasn't the XV5080 engine in the Fantoms that kept getting upgrades in later Fantoms, it was the Supernatural engine... the 5080 engine is largely the same (I forget offhand the details, but I have all the Fantom sysex specs available and checked what the differences were, but that was a while ago so I'd have to refer to my docs...)

The plugin, in terms of it's features and data formats, is somewhere between the XV-5080 engine and the Fantom engine (whichever version), as it's not exactly the 5080 (mostly in terms of FX, but it also doesn't have the sample playback engine of the XV5080), and the Fantom (the FX in the plugin are closer to the Fantom, which are a refinement IIRC). But these are mostly small differences, and in some cases, some MFX in the XV are better than the plugin (eg, it has a 3-Voice Pitch Shifter, but the plugin can only manage a 2-Voice Pitch Shifter).

Yes, I agree that the pitch shifter effect is better in the XV. In the plugin it doesn't react the same way and it's frustrating. The question is why Roland did not use the XV 5080 FXs for a JV/XV software to begin with...

Roland has a history of making illogical decisions that nobody can explain. :D

EvilDragon wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:41 pm Roland has a history of making illogical decisions that nobody can explain. :D

One decision I really appreciate is my ju-06. I love that little guy and the chorus is spot on. I also really like my System 1 and jx-03 as well. I am not going to buy the system 8 though as I want 61 keys and hopefully the next iteration of it. I'm not an analog purist as it all boils down to the sound and their acb modeling is fantastic. :tu:

There you go. They made those little Boutique thingies with (roughly) half the polyphony of the originals... Just illogical :)

beely wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:18 pm
sinemotor wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:06 pmah cool I didn't know that. I thought Fantom were using different waveforms. But it makes sense since I've seen same patches in XV/Fantom/Juno DS etc.
Fantom has the XV5080 engine inside it. It also has the newer Supernatural engine, which isn't obviously supported by the plugin.
The supernatural for the fantom was only available by the use of ARX.expansion cards.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I'd love to get it but I'm not interested in the cloud.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:07 pm There you go. They made those little Boutique thingies with (roughly) half the polyphony of the originals... Just illogical :)
Not to split hairs ED but you know very well the polyphony limitations were due to them later releasing the system 8. It was a business decision and I'm guessing it worked out well for them at least in the boutique side of things as those things flew off the shelves especially the ju-06. I have no idea what the system 8 sales numbers are but I'd bet they are good.
What the second hand prices are going for are insane on the ju-06 and the fact they stopped making them so soon was illogical indeed.

The next SRX plugin is out, SRX Studio...

beely wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:35 pm The next SRX plugin is out, SRX Studio...
When I'm finishing the 12 month period of the cloud subscription I'm gonna wholeheartedly cancel it and stick with the jv-1080 vst.

Seriously, if Korg could release the M1 with all its expanions in one plugin, I don't see any reason why Roland can't do the same with the jv+srx.
Instead of having like 10 different vsts, with the same sound engine just different presets (which are the same sound source with different eq/fx), having a single one with all those presets combined is way more efficient.

Oh well...

Bippo wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:24 pm
beely wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:35 pm The next SRX plugin is out, SRX Studio...
When I'm finishing the 12 month period of the cloud subscription I'm gonna wholeheartedly cancel it and stick with the jv-1080 vst.

Seriously, if Korg could release the M1 with all its expanions in one plugin, I don't see any reason why Roland can't do the same with the jv+srx.
Instead of having like 10 different vsts, with the same sound engine just different presets (which are the same sound source with different eq/fx), having a single one with all those presets combined is way more efficient.

Oh well...
Yeah, but then how are they gonna get you to keep the sub active when you take the one super 10870/JV/SRX plugin for your permanent license? This way, they figure they'll get you for a few years while you try to collect them all, and they don't even have to do any new coding. :?

This question may sound like trolling, but I promise it's not: what's so good about these? I have zero experience with the hardware and barely even touched the cloud versions. These just seem like old school ROMpler type sounds to me. For the most part anyway. Is that the appeal of these plugins, or am I missing something? Like, do these have cool filters and effects I should totally just spend some time to learn how to make this thing rock, or is the appeal that these are some classic Roland sounds that people have been using for 20 years and are familiar with? I guess that's true of just about any sound, but I'm just totally not getting the appeal here. I guess the real question is: are these really great sounding synths on their own, that still hold up today, or is this more of a nostalgia thing?

Again, not trolling with the question; really want to know. I thought the D-50 would be just like that, but there's some really cool sounds to be had in there.

For me, personally, I just like having the jv-1080 as a nostalgia thing, like the korg m1, but I doubt I'll use it in any modern production.

I guess nostalgia is a big factor indeed. I use the JV, SRX, D-50 and Korg M1 & Wavestation in my music. The 90's / early 00's nostalgia is an important aspect of my music and these digital synths have a very particular and recognisable sound so that's why I like to use them. But I combine them with modern production tropes and synths to create something a bit different and fresh.

People are nostalgic of a certain sound or era of music. This is why we have countless software emulations or hardware recreations of vintage synths.

I really like older ROMpler sounds and don't think they sound out of place as long as you aren't making music that is trying to sound as if it was played by a real band or orchestra.
I think of them as playful interpretations with a bit of a toy like character - in a good and pleasing sounding way.
I never really tinkered much with soft sampler libraries as i was
- pretty happy with the HW sound for my applications
- like that they are instantly there as long as you are not using your own samples- which in fact takes way longer to load than it would on a soft sampler
- at the time i was evaluating the possibility for a move to SW (more than a decade ago) i felt that you don't get a well rounded soft library too easily without having to buy several specialized ones, which can get a) pretty expensive too, pretty fast and i have b) never been a fan of gazillions of GB „wasted“ for stuff that would otherwise take maybe a few MB (or in this case even none at all as even these few MB are stored OTB). That's why i'm also not a big fan of the idea of using Nebula, while the factory of a good HW ROMpler gave me everything (and more) i could wish for right out of the box.

I have no use for a hyper realistic sound though, so if you want to impress someone with Hollywood quality sound, don't even think about a HW ROMpler - at least the older ones, i have no experience with the latest and greates which are - while probably still inferior to the best SW has to offer - supposed to not sound too shabby at all even in these regards.
Brass and electric guitar in particular are often also only good for a chuckle.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

I think that the Roland rompler sound in the 90's and early 00's was used by a lot of producers in that era. So it does have a certain nostalgia. The JV1080 was a popular unit that saw a lot of use.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Instruments”