Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:51 pm It's quite heavy on mine. Not as heavy as Monark, but, surely in the ballpark of Diva.
I see. I wonder if there is a setting to reduce audio resolution like there is on Diva. I did a test track using 3 instances of S8 and it wasn't that bad on my old Mac Mini. I'll throw it into the music cafe secttion of the forum if you want to hear demo.

I am seriously considering picking this up as it's pretty easy and straight forward to use and easy to get results. I just don't know if all these little new synths NI are releasing are little lite versions with a stripped down GUI of what will all be part of the big Massive X release next month. ??
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Sinisterbr wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:16 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:29 am Massive X is a completely different beast.
I was thinking MX probably won't be as much or more CPU heavy as Super 8, as they probably are aiming a broader audience with this, am I right?
MX is doing a LOT more than S8, so you can expect equal or higher CPU usage. Remember how the original Massive was when released? :)
telecode wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:21 pmI just don't know if all these little new synths NI are releasing are little lite versions with a stripped down GUI of what will all be part of the big Massive X release next month. ??
Again, completely different things. Nothing from S8 is in MX and vice versa. Totally separate designs, totally separate goals.

telecode wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:21 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:51 pm It's quite heavy on mine. Not as heavy as Monark, but, surely in the ballpark of Diva.
I see. I wonder if there is a setting to reduce audio resolution like there is on Diva. I did a test track using 3 instances of S8 and it wasn't that bad on my old Mac Mini. I'll throw it into the music cafe secttion of the forum if you want to hear demo.

I am seriously considering picking this up as it's pretty easy and straight forward to use and easy to get results. I just don't know if all these little new synths NI are releasing are little lite versions with a stripped down GUI of what will all be part of the big Massive X release next month. ??
no. it's a different synth.

EvilDragon wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:29 pm
EvilDragon wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:29 am Massive X is a completely different beast.
I was thinking MX probably won't be as much or more CPU heavy as Super 8, as they probably are aiming a broader audience with this, am I right?
MX is doing a LOT more than S8, so you can expect equal or higher CPU usage. Remember how the original Massive was when released? :)
That is fantastic news I can't wait for the KVR MX CPU SHITSTORM! :love:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:03 pm
That is fantastic news I can't wait for the KVR MX CPU SHITSTORM! :love:
ill be selling commemorative tshirts specially for the event :)

MX wont have the Reaktor tax though...

telecode wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:49 pm
Do you find S8 cpu heavy on your system?
Reaktor says 25% - 30% (ish, give or take) on my relatively modern system, but, that's with the number of voices doubled. I actually think that's often necessary. Some of the pads use unison and you quickly experience note stealing.

It's definitely a CPU hog and not for the CPU challenged.

That's not really something that's easy to do in Reaktor, other than just reducing the sample rate, which is trivial to do, see upper right hand corner of Reaktor. I mean, by that, at least in a general sense. What Diva does is make some compromises in how the voices are calculated, but, as I understand it, it is done intelligently with respect to the specifics of the Diva model. You could do that in Reaktor as well, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing like that in Super 8. It would be easy enough to hack a few things in, e.g., disable drift. One good way to reduce CPU usage somewhat is to just disable the effects and then lock them. You lose the effects, but you can probably get similar results with native effects in your system, and, those effects have a chance of running on a different core.

I should add that, although I really like it, I would not have bought it if it were not in Reaktor. I'm willing to pay a Reaktor premium for unlocked elements that are high quality and reusable. If you have Diva and/or Repro, and you aren't the kind of user who is really inspired by great presets, then I'd wait for a sale.

For example, there's no way I'm getting Komplete 12 just to get Massive X, but if Massive X were a Reaktor instrument, I probably would have already purchased Komplete 12. That's me though, I do a lot of building in Reaktor and find great components are worth more than a similar level instrument that I can't take parts from.

Can anyone please link where to download the demo to Super 8 ... that would be great :)

drwalk10 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:55 pm Can anyone please link where to download the demo to Super 8 ... that would be great :)
http://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=native+instr ... per+8+demo :roll:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... s/super-8/

The demo button is on the right side.

I bought it, what I like most is that you really can't make it sound bad.
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

telecode wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:21 pmI just don't know if all these little new synths NI are releasing are little lite versions with a stripped down GUI of what will all be part of the big Massive X release next month. ??
Again, completely different things. Nothing from S8 is in MX and vice versa. Totally separate designs, totally separate goals.
I see, but if we try to make a similar, very simple patch in both (say, just a single osc saw wave through a LPF), will both synths have the same CPU load?
I mean, do MX take some shortcuts (like Hive) in the filter algos, or does it go into deep filter emulation and non linearities?

ghettosynth wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:17 pm

That's not really something that's easy to do in Reaktor, other than just reducing the sample rate, which is trivial to do, see upper right hand corner of Reaktor. I mean, by that, at least in a general sense. What Diva does is make some compromises in how the voices are calculated, but, as I understand it, it is done intelligently with respect to the specifics of the Diva model. You could do that in Reaktor as well, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing like that in Super 8. It would be easy enough to hack a few things in, e.g., disable drift. One good way to reduce CPU usage somewhat is to just disable the effects and then lock them. You lose the effects, but you can probably get similar results with native effects in your system, and, those effects have a chance of running on a different core.

I should add that, although I really like it, I would not have bought it if it were not in Reaktor. I'm willing to pay a Reaktor premium for unlocked elements that are high quality and reusable. If you have Diva and/or Repro, and you aren't the kind of user who is really inspired by great presets, then I'd wait for a sale.

For example, there's no way I'm getting Komplete 12 just to get Massive X, but if Massive X were a Reaktor instrument, I probably would have already purchased Komplete 12. That's me though, I do a lot of building in Reaktor and find great components are worth more than a similar level instrument that I can't take parts from.
I had a bit of time to compare the Super 8 to a few other soft synths I have on my system. I am on an older Intel based Mac Mini i7. I compared it to Arturia collection stuff and Pigments, and Serum and used lush pads to of each to compare. I played Super 8 through Reaktor player, pigments and arturia stuff standalone, and also Super 8 and Serum through Maschine as a VST.

The Super 8 uses about the same CPU resources as Pigments more or less. It uses about double the resources of Arturia collection stuff like Jup and DX-7. Strangely, Serum uses the most CPU resources. Almost double what Super 8 and Pigments use.

Yes, you are right, turning off the effects in Super 8 helps a bit with resource conservation, but not that much.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Sinisterbr wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:06 pmI see, but if we try to make a similar, very simple patch in both (say, just a single osc saw wave through a LPF), will both synths have the same CPU load?
I mean, do MX take some shortcuts (like Hive) in the filter algos, or does it go into deep filter emulation and non linearities?
MX takes no shortcuts at all to get the quality. It doesn't necessarily emulate existing stuff as far as filters are concerned, but there's the Monark filter, at least.
pdxindy wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 3:10 pmMX wont have the Reaktor tax though...
It'll have the "bestest DSP quality" tax. ;)

Return to “Instruments”