Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Another contender for top synth just hit the market
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MSoundFactory

Their MPowerSynth was already a contender....

- How can I delete a MIDI controller modulator?
The manual only explains about expanding a "normal" modulator and deleting, but the MIDI modulator doesn't expand.

- How can I use an existing modulator to control multiple destinations?
The manual isn't clear, I can drag one modulator from the left side to a destination...but how to control other destinations when the modulator is put on the right side? Atm I need to copy modulators, for the same modulation.

Cheers!

CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

MIDI control modulators are currently not listed in the edited modulators list because you can't really edit them as there's nothing to edit other than choosing the MIDI control signal.

If you have multiple dials all modulated by a MIDI Control Modulator with the same control number selected then internally they are all modulated by the exact same midi control signal from the host.

I admit, however, that it would be a lot less confusing if they were simply listed in the edited modulator list like everything else, so I'll record that now as a high priority feature.

To delete a midi control modulation, just delete it the exact same way as all other modulations. In the matrix mod slat click the icon to expand the row and hit the delete button.

You can't delete the midi modulator since it's not listed anywhere to be deleted, that of course will change when I add it to the list of edited modulators and deleting it will be exactly the same.

Ambietic Atmospheres Cover.png
Ambietic Atmospheres

Folks I have some exciting News. The Ambietica Sound Bank is now released. Ambiant artists and film score composers you will not want to miss this one.

https://www.fathomsynth.com/banks

Here's a demo with all the tracks using Ambietic Atmospheres.

https://static.kvraudio.com/files/3302/ ... g_star.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks Choos and Everett.

Edit:
When I try that, and drag LFO easy 1 to another destination an LFO easy 1 an alias or so is made with default settings.
It doesn't copy the settings from the original LFO?
So if I want to use one LFO to control a lot of destinations I end up with lots of aliases on the right side, correct?
Which I all need to setup ( or copy the settings first )?

Looking at serum, one can just drag the LFO to a control and another control without creating aliases when checking a tutorial on youtube. Wouldn't that be smarter, to save space? Or to have the option to choose ( alias or not ).

Edit2:
Changing the value of the mod amount on one easy LFO doesn't clone into the other instance, the rest of the parameters do. :scared:

Feature request (workflow improvement):
Frequency and dB indication for the spectrum overlay (panel), including exact frequency plus dB indication at mouse pointer position when hovering in that overlay view.
Am doing some sound design using the new Tone2 nano host, I now only have a rough idea at what frequencies and dBs i'm working at. Tone2 nano Host does show dBs in the main window itself tho, but that's a combined indication.
In a DAW I can combine Fathom with e.g. SPAN for knowing the frequencies and dBs.

Thinking some more, maybe have the output dB value shown when hovering over the volume parameter of an e.g. Oscillator?
Last edited by RPH on Sat May 11, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Have bought the last couple of updates and been playing around with it for the last couple of days. I still find it odd that step values such as octave and note are continuous controls, that there isn't a simple beats or time switch for timing of envelopes, lfos, etc. and that the naming of various parameters don't seem to give any great indicator as to what they do (e.g. amp amp on unison FFS).

I am going through the manual so hopefully these will become clearer but as it stands it's a real workflow killer, and I find myself opting for other synths when I want to tinker around with sound design. It's a great sounding, versatile synth but if you want this to compete with the big names, things like universal naming conventions and hovering helpful hints might make it that much more comprehensible to initiates.

All Fathom's features at this point are the result of hundreds of user suggestions.

The reason that all pitch controls such as octave and note are continuous is because they use to be step values and people complained that they were not continuous.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Sat May 11, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

The reason that all pitch controls such as octave and note are continuous is that because they use to be step values and people complained that they were not continuous.
Which just proves that you can't win 😉
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

RPH

There is a level of indirection in the matrix so that typically you can use one modulator applied to multiple dial modulations. You should never have to copy parameters from one modulator to another since you can always select the same modulator for any number of dials.

Fathom is even smart enough to know that if you drag a modulator from the left side File Modulator list onto multiple dials that you intend on them all sharing the same modulator.

I think you are asking for a way to simply have one modulation row in the matrix list apply to multiple dials in cases where you don't need different settings for the dials such as the range add, subtract or multiply.

That's a good idea, and I've actually been wanting to add that for a while, so I'll bump it up in the list.

Shonky,

Fathom is as simple as it can possibly be. However, it will never be as simple as a synth with two oscillators, two filters all on a single panel with twelve knobs in total. If that is what you are looking for then you have come to the wrong place.

Everything is explained in the user guide.

Please take a look at the page number in this thread. The current work flow and dial names are the result of 240 pages of user suggestions. You are in the confusion stage right now with Fathom, and it will last about a day. But if you stick with it you will find yourself not wanting to use those other synths at all.

Well, I was one of the early adopters, in pre-manual days, and never found it that intuitive. I don’t have an aversion to complex synths, but feel that by resisting standard naming conventions, you’re making a good synth needlessly inaccessible without consulting the manual to discover that a parameter I didn’t understand is actually a fairly common control under a different name

Which parameter name are you talking about?

FathomSynth wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 4:23 pm All Fathom's features at this point are the result of hundreds of user suggestions.
May I also suggest that you live long, and prosper? :hyper:
Each new version invites more hours of play :hihi:
Attached is another experiment, Fathom hosted in
the native linux Reaper (by using the LinVst plugin wrapper)
I used four sequencers to play the same Fathom sound,
each sequencer set to play with a different number of octaves,
play directions, and also a range of gate settings,
to allow various faux envelope effects from pluck to padish
from the single Fathom instance/preset.

I slowed playback speed to 44% in audacity,
to the desired sonic range, duplicated and offset the second track
by about .15 seconds to keep the activity consistant.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by glokraw on Sun May 12, 2019 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

FathomSynth wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:01 pm Which parameter name are you talking about?
A simple one, which I figured out without too much difficulty, was using "room" instead of "wet" in the reverbs. The output block echoes were a bit confusing too, these might be better defined as close, mid and far reflections and damping as "echo" in itself doesn't really give much of an explanation.

With the phaser, I would have thought that given that amplitude tends to be associated with volume changes, modulation would be better than mod amp (I know that amplitude is correct in the sense you have used it). This also leads to some quite confusing (to me, at least) parts in the unison section where we have "amp amp" (I'm guessing modulating the amplitude of the amplifier of each voice) and I can't seem to find info about unison in the quick start guide (also no mention of the distortion section which I would find quite useful as again the parameter naming for the most part appears quite obscure to me).

OK, I feel confused now also just reading what you wrote.

If two dials right next to each other on an effect which say "Dry" and "Wet" do not make sense to you then I'm not sure anything I say is going to help you.

Is there some reason you can just turn the dials to hear what they do?

My point is that it doesn't say "wet" or even "reverb" but "room", figured that one out fairly easily (before reading the manual, I thought that "plate" and "room" were too different algorithms as this is usually how they're generally used in reverbs). Just opened up Fathom to look at the distortion module and much of that isn't exactly intuitive - harmonic, 2 x ratios, random (of what?), threads, phase pressure, speed (again of what?). I can kind of hear the effect of some of these but the names don't make what they do that apparent.

Again, I open up the unison section, there's a lot of controls where I can see knobs reading pan amp, vol amp, vol freq, amp freq, and then later amp amp and freq freq. I can figure out that these are modulating the unison in different ways (tremolo? frequency modulation?) but rather than randomly tweaking parameters, it would helpful to know what these actually do by using appropriate names or including them in the manual.

Don't believe I can be the only one that finds this confusing.

Return to “Instruments”