Hey IK, When You Finally Do MODO Guitar...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:24 pm

but of course, only a massive queen fan would know how guitar tones work...
You must be big enough by now after all that popcorn.

:hihi:

I was talking about this here a couple of days ago. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, yet still use vsti guitars on my records. I write guitar parts on a guitar, then program those parts. I do it this way for a few reasons; You've instantly got a perfect take, you can move notes (or even change keys) later on, using samples recorded in ideal conditions you've instantly got a great sound.
I'll also add; I too am looking forward to Modo guitars as well, Modo bass is fantastic, it's made all the kontakt libraries I was previously using obsolete, it'll do the same for guitar samples I reckon... I do think it's safe to assume it's coming at some stage.
(this comment was going to be a reply, but I'll make it a general comment)

an-electric-heart wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:41 pm I was talking about this here a couple of days ago. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, yet still use vsti guitars on my records. I write guitar parts on a guitar, then program those parts. I do it this way for a few reasons; You've instantly got a perfect take, you can move notes (or even change keys) later on, using samples recorded in ideal conditions you've instantly got a great sound.
I'll also add; I too am looking forward to Modo guitars as well, Modo bass is fantastic, it's made all the kontakt libraries I was previously using obsolete, it'll do the same for guitar samples I reckon... I do think it's safe to assume it's coming at some stage.
Hmmm..I think you can get away with electrics to a large extent, and even picked acoustics to some degree. Strummed acoustics always sound like arse though. Will be interested to see if IK can do any better.

donkey tugger wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:48 pm
an-electric-heart wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:41 pm I was talking about this here a couple of days ago. I've been playing guitar for over 20 years, yet still use vsti guitars on my records. I write guitar parts on a guitar, then program those parts. I do it this way for a few reasons; You've instantly got a perfect take, you can move notes (or even change keys) later on, using samples recorded in ideal conditions you've instantly got a great sound.
Hmmm..I think you can get away with electrics to a large extent, and even picked acoustics to some degree. Strummed acoustics always sound like arse though. Will be interested to see if IK can do any better.
With the acoustic guitar Kontakt instruments I use, the only thing that bothers me is that the noise effects are good, and add to the realness, yet are normally just completely random. For example I might make a picking part that is just picking up and down an open chord, yet there'll still be the little gliss noises implying that the hand is moving. So little things like that are a give away, but you'd need a pretty keen ear to pick it.
In my song from earlier you spotted Strummed Acoustic. I quite like Strummed Acoustic, but yes, I'd normally like hide it in with other instruments (using it like a pad, rather than a main instrument), mostly because the odd chord change doesn't sound too flash.

an-electric-heart wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:07 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:48 pm
With the acoustic guitar Kontakt instruments I use, the only thing that bothers me is that the noise effects are good, and add to the realness, yet are normally just completely random. For example I might make a picking part that is just picking up and down an open chord, yet there'll still be the little gliss noises implying that the hand is moving. So little things like that are a give away, but you'd need a pretty keen ear to pick it.
In my song from earlier you spotted Strummed Acoustic. I quite like Strummed Acoustic, but yes, I'd normally like hide it in with other instruments (using it like a pad, rather than a main instrument), mostly because the odd chord change doesn't sound too flash.
For stuff like that, where the acoustic isn't integral to the song, it's not so bad (noticeable, but probably only if you're attuned to these things), but for anything where the strummed acoustic takes a prominent role the VST stuff I've heard so far can't cut it.

yeah as part of a bigger mix it's less obvious, stripped bare it's like nails on chalk boards :o

If anyone from IK were to actually read this thread, which I'm sure they won't, I'd want to say please make sure to include mpe, or at the very least multi-channel midi functionality.

vurt wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:35 pm yeah as part of a bigger mix it's less obvious, stripped bare it's like nails on chalk boards :o
And that is the likeliest place for the illusion of a VI to break down.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 pm
vurt wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 1:35 pm yeah as part of a bigger mix it's less obvious, stripped bare it's like nails on chalk boards :o
And that is the likeliest place for the illusion of a VI to break down.
or when you try to use a slide on it...

vurt wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:24 pm indeed, a lot of his tone comes from his pick too, i believe he uses old pennies? or did, probably has them made now, but the stiffness/flexibility of a pick creates the attack, which in turn allows for the decay and sustain to work different and so effect the tone.

but of course, only a massive queen fan would know how guitar tones work...
<------Massive Queen Fan

shonky wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:45 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZtWK6PR1o

Pretty close I think, YMMV
Sorry, but thanks for playing.

(12 minutes of my life I'll never get back)

shonky wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:45 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZtWK6PR1o

ah the classic "brain may" video :hihi:

wagtunes wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 11:57 pm

Sorry, but thanks for playing.

(12 minutes of my life I'll never get back)
where for you is this failing?
if you can explain then we can easily get to the bottom of this :)

Return to “Instruments”