One Synth Challenge #123: The Qyooo By Full Bucket Music (TheNeverScene Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The qyooo

yes. it's very true.

This is my entry for the OSC #123. Tried to produce a track in progressive house genre this time (the one similar to trance/atmospheric one, not the popularized one). I think Qyooo shines as an old school sounding synth and not as a modern one, so creating modern sounds was quite a challenge. Not sure whether I succeeded or not, but well, I was in a progressive house mood, so I HAD to make it :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/mrkarolus/reunion-osc-123

DAW: Reaper

Mixing:

Qyooo x 21
A1TriggerGate x1
BitterSweet x1
BlueArp x1
bx_subfilter x5
CamelCrusher x5
DD Filter x3
Ferric TDS x2
IVGI x5
FiltR x9
LoudMax x2
MAutopan x5
MCompressor x8
OldSkoolVerb x2
OrilRiver x9
ReaEQ x19
Rough Rider x2
JS Saturation x11
Spaceship Delay x2
Supercharger x3
Volume/Pan Smoother v5 x 8

Mastering:

ReaEQ x1
CodeRedFree x1
ReaComp x1
Limiter No6 x1
SPAN x1
Youlean Loudness Meter x1

I have some health issues so I'm not sure if I will make an entry this month, but I like the synth...and it has nice filters
https://soundcloud.com/deep-theory/qyooo-smooth-1983
Last edited by Auplant on Mon May 13, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bh9090 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:33 pm Any way to dial in FM 1 amounts? I'd love to be able to type the values instead of mousing back and forth trying to get to 0.01 or 1.00. It seems for prefer certain values. Using AU version on mac.
I find that the mouse wheel is effective for making fine adjustments

basa333 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:28 pm Sorry, I can't recognize any melody, it's too abstract for me.
:neutral:
Edwin James Lynch (aka "Objectman")
Dead Eddy | Day Job | Follow Me

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:05 pm Melodies are overrated! I really enjoyed it. A candidate for 5 points...
(Actually there are lots of tiny melodies in there, if you can’t hear them I feel sorry for you...)
Thanks :) - I'm working on another draft. Any tips appreciated. I think the beginning noice is too "bangy" - so might soften that a little (and maybe do something melodic, actually). There's gold in blank criticism.

phace wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 pm I find that the mouse wheel is effective for making fine adjustments
For even finer adjustments hold down the "Shift" key and move the mouse...

Cheers, Björn

I think "no melody" is a good enough critique of a track with an imperceptible or subtler melody. Phaedra is one of my favourites and it's full of very subtle (and obvious) melodies. I think the real question here is "How do we turn abrupt criticism into constructive criticism"? Not everynoe knows how to fix your track, but sometimes, in knee-jerk response - they give you clues.

RE: Producing final piece in Audition (because I like a preset in the 3 band compressor) : Does anyone know a great (free) compressor. I guess we can't use Computer Music VSTs because (technically) they're not free, yeah?

objectman wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:14 am I think "no melody" is a good enough critique of a track with an imperceptible or subtler melody. Phaedra is one of my favourites and it's full of very subtle (and obvious) melodies. I think the real question here is "How do we turn abrupt criticism into constructive criticism"? Not everynoe knows how to fix your track, but sometimes, in knee-jerk response - they give you clues.

RE: Producing final piece in Audition (because I like a preset in the 3 band compressor) : Does anyone know a great (free) compressor. I guess we can't use Computer Music VSTs because (technically) they're not free, yeah?
You can't master your audio in a different DAW/software/service. The audio should be untouched once it leaves your production DAW. It's against the rules to do so and will disqualify your entry.

Re: Good free compressor, try TDR Kotelnikov. Or go through this link and try some. Or go through some of the past months OSC entries, most people list their mastering chain fx, you can pick up some of the most used ones from that.
https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2012/0 ... u-plugins/

maxym.srpl wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:31 pm Guys, do you know how to control filter frequency (BP) to get exact note frequency?
I tried it, setting frequency on 2 scenes to boundary frequencies and morphing them using Note. But cannot match proper frequencies for a scale. I want to create instrument built from a noise, shaped by frequencies which match notes.

thanks in advance
Nobody?

maxym.srpl wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:59 am
maxym.srpl wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:31 pm Guys, do you know how to control filter frequency (BP) to get exact note frequency?
I tried it, setting frequency on 2 scenes to boundary frequencies and morphing them using Note. But cannot match proper frequencies for a scale. I want to create instrument built from a noise, shaped by frequencies which match notes.

thanks in advance
Nobody?
Since Qyooo displays the cut-off frequency, wouldn't it be possible to take some EQ to determine which frequency corresponds to which note?

ReaEQ e.g. displays the approx. Note for the frequency selected. Not sure if you're asking for a solution from within Qyooo, but otherwise, this approach should give you the result you're seeking perhaps.

I have no problem to determine frequency, but to setup Qyooo to play notes with noise. I achieved something close, but it's sounds acceptable for a few neighbor notes only. I failed to affect filter frequency to match each possible notes; the farer from base note, the more off frequency is.

Maybe I can leave with what I have, but just out of curiosity, I would like to know how to set it up.
There is morphing method called Note. A manual says that C4 is considered to be a centre for the scale. I was trying to find proper min/max frequencies to set in scenes. But still haven't succeed to get expected filter frequencies.

maxym.srpl wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:39 am I have no problem to determine frequency, but to setup Qyooo to play notes with noise. I achieved something close, but it's sounds acceptable for a few neighbor notes only. I failed to affect filter frequency to match each possible notes; the farer from base note, the more off frequency is.

Maybe I can leave with what I have, but just out of curiosity, I would like to know how to set it up.
There is morphing method called Note. A manual says that C4 is considered to be a centre for the scale. I was trying to find proper min/max frequencies to set in scenes. But still haven't succeed to get expected filter frequencies.
Are you referring to note-tracking or key-tracking?

Sorry, I don't understand what are you asking for.
What I did is I made 2 scenes the same, except of filter frequency. On the first scene the frequency is up to low value, on second scene, to some high one. Then I set up morphing between scenes scenes using "Note" modulator for filter frequency

I think the issue is the filters are linear (someone mentioned that earlier), so getting them to move up/down correctly by note would be difficult because it should be logarithmic for that. Might have to get the range close to how you want it for the notes you're using and use DAW automation to tune it exactly how you like (which sounds like a lot of work, hopefully someone else has a better suggestion!).
(I'm not at my DAW right now, I need to check for myself how it's behaving.)

If you want to visualise what's happening you can use a Spectrogram, like Wave Candy that has the note tuning on the Y axis!

Return to “Instruments”