One Synth Challenge #122: Surge (schiing wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've listened to a handful of the entries already and it's cool to see what you guys came up with! Gonna listen to the rest soon :)
I enjoyed Surge but didn't have the time to finish a track ..
Also, I found it difficult to make nice percussion, but it looks like that's just me :D Still learning ..

All tracks scored! Still needs to return and leave some comments. It is a little quiet over there, seems that vacation period already started. Good luck TYA!
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

Not voted yet. Not commented yet.
But I'm on my third listen through all the tracks and let me just tell you - you all rock. Amazing, inspirational work. Of course some tracks excel even more than others, but to my ears the overall standard in these parts is amazing. Thank you all for making this an awesome learning community :tu:

eraze the borders wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:45 am I just realised that I really dig the diversity in the OSC. Everything between classical, vintage, modern and experimental. It not only challenges you to make a song yourself but also to be open minded towards all kinds of music. I think that's great! :tu:
I second this completely. THIS is what OSC is all about. (Along with all the musically technical things of course ;-) )

dB

I too feel the same about the diversity and creativity of the participants in OSC. The compositions are so unique and everyone has their own style, which is really inspiring. Makes me wanna try new genres/styles/techniques every month.

Thanks all of you who listened to my track and posted a reaction!

I know the drums/percussion could have been better but..... I'm not really into
making presets & synth programming so for kicks I just use a basspatch and adjust so
it sounds like a kick, for hats just some noise will do and then use compression & EQ.

It's the same this month with Qyooo, there are no decent presets for drums.
My wish is that at some point it will be allowed to use samples for drums :)

My aim in the OSC is to make a nice track with nice chordprogressions and nice melodies.

Quaoar

-deleted-

@quaoar,
Try this kick patch to tweak from..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Voted. done. High bar this month.

Voted!
+1 on eraze's comment regarding diversity and inspiration here! :tu:

Surge is quite a fascinating synth and a really nice showcase for good open-source situations, I guess. Thing is pretty awesome!
I'm generally not such a fan of this kind of sound generation, though. Surge manages to take it to really nice places, but the nature of it still just sort of...hmmm... let's say, the music y'all have made with it gets me excited, even when the synth itself sort of leaves me mildly cold. Not bothering, or so, just doesn't get me boiling for joy like Charlatan or Sinnah or Tripple Cheese or ANY synth from Full Bucket, just to name a few. These waveform riders like Surge just have a kind of stale quality to them in my ears. Anyway, I sure didn't get to do it justice, yet, many of you did so 10 times over! Great stuff! :hyper:

:lol: OMG, Jasinski, haha, that's incredible. You even posted the kick patch?! :lol: ...ok, so I really wasn't the only one blown away by your sweet kick! :lol: Fantastic! :tu: Thanks for sharing, I'll check it out for sure! :hug:

Taron wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:55 am
:lol: OMG, Jasinski, haha, that's incredible. You even posted the kick patch?! :lol: ...ok, so I really wasn't the only one blown away by your sweet kick! :lol: Fantastic! :tu: Thanks for sharing, I'll check it out for sure! :hug:
Sorry to confuse, I posted in the "wrong" thread. That's a patch for Qyoo in response to Quaoar's remark about not making a good kick in Qyoo this month.

I voted already weeks ago, but shuffling with it till today.
As I'm new at this competition, I'm feeling not confident yet to comment on particular songs. At first a range of genres is very wide even touching zones I'm not used to. It surprised me, that single synth is capable to generate such variety of sounds (of course being set up by experienced and creative musicians). On the other side, sometimes it's hard to vote for genres which are not my cup of tea. There are tracks I rated higher only for sound design even if I don't like particular style or arrangement. But most surprising to me is, how many very positive comments were given to tracks which I voted lowest. Not going into details, I'm just curious am I so wrong at how I feel the music or those comments goal is to not demotivate/discourage (?)

Anyway, there is a lot of great music in this compo. I really enjoyed to listen to the whole playlist.
Greetings.

jasinski wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:33 am
Taron wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:55 am
:lol: OMG, Jasinski, haha...
Sorry to confuse, I posted in the "wrong" thread. That's a patch for Qyoo in response to Quaoar's remark about not making a good kick in Qyoo this month.
Good thing I was too tired to check it out last night, pfff...I might've gotten disappointed, but then again, with you it is most often the mix that makes the monster anyway. Too darn good'n'strong.

What would've confused me even more was that anybody had troubles making kicks with Qyooo?!? It's completely brilliant for those, really! Virtually all standard ways are there to get a killer kick, including decent noise enveloping. Ah well... :shrug: ...I'll still check out your patch! :phones:

maxym.srpl wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 am I voted already weeks ago, but shuffling with it till today.
As I'm new at this competition.... But most surprising to me is, how many very positive comments were given to tracks which I voted lowest. Not going into details, I'm just curious am I so wrong at how I feel the music or those comments goal is to not demotivate/discourage (?)
No, you're not wrong, we really enjoy the spirit of all our musicians here and it's in our best interest to motivate them, encourage their strengths. Sometimes I'm a bit worried to send somebody down the wrong path, if I don't point out things I find questionable. But, you know, that might be the other thing. Few of us are professional musicians from what I can tell. We may all lack the confidence to give more accurate guidance. The safest bet seems to be to point out what we enjoy, I guess.

Anyway, I love the "sandwich" method I've learned in the States. It's all about both parties in a conversation recognizing qualities and flaws so that a healthy exchange can happen. The most we can hope for out of each other is a piece of each others creativity! The more we can coax out of each other, the better, and the better that gets...well.... Hooray! :party:

jasinski wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:07 pm @quaoar,
Try this kick patch to tweak from..
Thanks! It's a great help!

Return to “Instruments”