Huge sale on Cubase 10 - 50% off for new purchases or crossgrades

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

macmuse wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:04 pm @vdk-john: Thanks for the video.
NP! make sure you also check out the video about expression maps from that same channel ("Creating Expression Maps [Studio Time: S3E13]"). It's long but totally worth it. (I usually have one articulation per track but having that set of features is super useful regardless)
I'm thinking of cross-grading too as I'm really liking it so far and it offers things I don't have in S1. Same with you? It's a lot more comfortable to me than I expected.
yeah same here and I just purchased it today! this offer is the best they ever did, from what I read, although updating to newer version is gonna be more expensive compared to S1. But yeah I'm still interested in how S1 develops, I think V4 is great and if I had to pay them full price and just pick one I'd go with S1 (music for me is a hobby).

That said, what I mostly miss in S1 is the expression maps, retrospective recording, and track management (you can hide tracks in S1 and save "scenes" but can't filter by track name or by tracks with midi events). Then there are other (for me) "minor" features like the logical editor presets, "mix-stacked" recording (that I'm pretty sure it's not available in S1), etc.
Last edited by vdk-john on Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

macmuse wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:51 pm ...Cubase fills some of the shortcomings I was wanting in S1...
S1 user here. What exactly does Cubase do that S1 can't?

Musical Gym wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:50 pm
macmuse wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:51 pm ...Cubase fills some of the shortcomings I was wanting in S1...
A person can certainly do work well in any DAW...I love S1. But Cubase does have MPE, expressions, multiple rulers, split to mono (quick like PT), more robust MIDI functions, track versions, alignments, capture recording, nicer panning system, mix console...for starters. All the things I love about S1 seem to be there (except track to audio and scratch pads). For me, it seems to be a blend of S1 and the advanced things in Logic.
Last edited by macmuse on Thu May 16, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Musical Gym wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:50 pm
I doubt anyone would be able to break that down for you in a single post. Edit: Or, well... macmuse just did, at least for the things which are relevant for him. :)

Anyway, i gave Cubase Artist 10 a good go earlier, and, while i like some aspects of it, for example that they, kind of, copied the workflow of Studio One (like Ari from Presonus said :hihi:) with the one window operation, drag and drop for VST's and content, the fixed transport bar, there's some things which i simply find confusing, for example the collapsible menus in the inspector. I also had quite a hard time finding some stuff, and the menus are pretty cluttered as well. I think i've so gotten used to the simple interface in Studio One, that i find it difficult now to cope with something more freighted.

Fortunately Steinberg doesn't add the content to the list of installed and uninstallable software anymore. UNfortunately, that means you have to remove all the content manually... :roll: And that's a lot of stuff really. I think there were 25 gigs of content alone on my C: drive (which is another of those things, it always installs to C: per default, instead of choosing the drive or location where Cubase is installed). Anyway, it was worth giving it a try, and, i do think that the GUI and workflow made a huge step forward compared to version 9 which i was using before.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

But the grass is AWAYS greener :hihi:

Sorry, just feeling playful tonight :)

chk071 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:11 am there's some things which i simply find confusing, for example the collapsible menus in the inspector. I also had quite a hard time finding some stuff, and the menus are pretty cluttered as well.
I felt the same way when I first took a look at Cubase and saw those collapsible menus. When I started thinking of them as sections of info (which they are) I didn’t mind them as much. S1 has all the stuff there pretty much together, which is easy to see but also a little bit messy to me.

I started a project from scratch there and got pretty far without having to look stuff up. There was definitely a familiarity with S1.

Tempted to upgrade.

My only issue is the dongle.

Why can't they make a useful dongle? Incorporate it into a variety of USB controllers - a simple cheap transport panel, at the very least. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
eh?

Or... make a eLicenser cloud solution.

I read somewhere on the internet amid all the recent Cubase talk that a dongle-less solution is forthcoming.

Yeah, i read that was well, right here on KVR. :) AFAIK, the person who posted that is even a mod on the Steinberg forums. But, who knows when that will become reality.

chk071 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:26 am Yeah, i read that was well, right here on KVR. :) AFAIK, the person who posted that is even a mod on the Steinberg forums. But, who knows when that will become reality.
They will eventually need to move to some form of cloud solution. While many of us do not mind the dongle, it does limit mobility. Now that Pro-Tools went into the iLok cloud, the Steinberg DAWs are the last ones that require a hardware dongle if I'm not mistaken.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Has anyone had an issue getting their license from the e-license manager onto their dongle? I see them both. I try to drag Cubase’s license over to the dongle and nothing happens. In my account, I see the USB dongle #, and it says I have no registered Steinberg software on it. I have an email off to Steinberg but, I am wondering if I’m doing anything wrong. I’m on a MacBook Pro 2018 with latest OS Mojave

W23 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:41 am Has anyone had an issue getting their license from the e-license manager onto their dongle? I see them both. I try to drag Cubase’s license over to the dongle and nothing happens. In my account, I see the USB dongle #, and it says I have no registered Steinberg software on it. I have an email off to Steinberg but, I am wondering if I’m doing anything wrong. I’m on a MacBook Pro 2018 with latest OS Mojave
Not sure if I understand the question. If you see the license in the eLicense manager then you have it on your dongle.

In case you want to move it from a physical dongle to a soft eLicenser, you can't. Cubase requires a hardware dongle.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

W23 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:41 am Has anyone had an issue getting their license from the e-license manager onto their dongle? I see them both. I try to drag Cubase’s license over to the dongle and nothing happens. In my account, I see the USB dongle #, and it says I have no registered Steinberg software on it. I have an email off to Steinberg but, I am wondering if I’m doing anything wrong. I’m on a MacBook Pro 2018 with latest OS Mojave
It should have been automatic, it was for mine a few days ago.

Did you have the dongle in a USB port when you installed Cubase and the e-licenser ?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”