FYI!! Melda SoundFactory ON SALE til JUNE 30

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MSoundFactory MSoundFactory Sound Library

mevla wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:22 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:25 pm No it does not , because is just not capable of some stuff like audio rate filters , without exploding the crap out of them .
I've asked in the Melda forum to provide an example of existing soft synth audio rate filters. I asked because it was said (you ?) that they're pretty good for pads and I like and use pads. It's actually the first thing I check out, out of a synth or sound set.

And so I've suggested a few synths amongst the ones I have. Let me expand to all u-he synths, IL: Harmor, Harmless, Sytrus, Ogun and Sakura, Synthmaster One and 2, Tone2 ElectraX, Icarus, and Ray Blaster, Rob Papen Blue2, Predator2, and Go2, Synplant, Fathom, Phonec2, Factory and Aparillo. If you have a patch for these synths that shows off this audio rate modulation, would you be kind enough to share it. It can be a patch of yours, a factory patch or part of a sound set. And if nothing's available amongst those synths, simply go ahead with a patch from any existing soft synth.

I'm curious about this and I like pads.
Why is it so hard to explore it yourselff ??
Image line harmor and harmless don't even have a filter , everything is made with partials ..
The filter in harmless is just a re-structuring of the partials mimicking a filters behaviour .
Sorry , I don't want to spend too much time on this ..just donwload TALmod or u-he bazille and play around with them
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Still no example of real music.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:39 pm I've got muesli and chocolate soy milk :shrug:
Not bad, but I prefer the analog qualities of plain soy milk. IMHO it modulates much better the inherent sweet frequencies of the delicate overtones of slightly cooked soya beans as it harmoniously resonates through the diffusing medium that water is. :wink:

mevla wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:00 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 7:39 pm I've got muesli and chocolate soy milk :shrug:
Not bad, but I prefer the analog qualities of plain soy milk. IMHO it modulates much better the inherent sweet frequencies of the delicate overtones of slightly cooked soya beans as it harmoniously resonates through the diffusing medium that water is. :wink:
You forgot the audio rate modulation capabilities of soya beans in water :hihi:

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:53 pm Why is it so hard to explore it yourselff ?? Image line harmor and harmless don't even have a filter , everything is made with partials .. The filter in harmless is just a re-structuring of the partials mimicking a filters behaviour . Sorry , I don't want to spend too much time on this ..
I must say I haven't went through Jens Malmgren's Harmor documentation yet. I will though. So I will not at the moment say anything about it.
gentleclockdivider wrote:just donwload TALmod or u-he bazille and play around with them
Unless you read in diagonal I have already mentioned all u-he synths. Bazille is a favorite. This might be considered a shameless plug of some sort (although I really don't get any money) but the bass line of this is made with Bazille:
PutInQuotesSoThatItDoesNotTakeTooMuchSpace wrote: https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/too-late-for-goodbyes
I am trying things out. Please do not suggest sideways that I am not trying anything. If you listen to the music I make, it is obvious that I'm trying things. I might not be Super Try Man, but I experiment.

In this context of experimentation, why I'm asking for a concrete example is that so far I haven't seen the notion of audio rate filter modulation. So I would like to see and hear precisely what it is about.

So if you really do not have any example, then I'll ask Howard perhaps in the u-he forum, as he's getting a document on Bazille made which should be released this year, with a related sound set.

exponent1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:03 pm You forgot the audio rate modulation capabilities of soya beans in water :hihi:
Which could be exceptional. Who knows ? 8)

exponent1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 pm Still no example of real music.
I don't know you musical preference , but I love electronic music
-dmx krew , aphex , aleksi perala , dopllereffekt, der zyklus , cylob etcc.. it's not so hard to spot filter fm when it's there .
FFS ..the minimoog and the oddisey had filter FM ,open you ears and listen to some stuff, it's not myproblem if you can NOT spot it
Is it crucial for making good music , hell no ..it's just a way to create additional timbres .
Did that answer your question ?
You my friend, are just looking for a reason to get 'Ad hominem '..i'm not gonna fall for it :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

So I demoed it some time and I got some impressions and questions:

- installer gave AV warning as usual, still has these ugly shades of green and it likes to always install both 32 & 64bit
- loading the supersaw device take 10 seconds and everything freezes during that time
- supersaw devices uses 13% cpu... bloody hell
- loaded kick factory device, locked volume and pitch in the globals tab, switched through kick factory presets, values changed - what's the purpose of the lock then?
- Is there no horizontal scrolling? Loaded the unison in the generator (which looked really distorted similar to the FM) and in it a oscillator which was barely visible on the edge. Vertical scroll bar yes, but horizontally no. Couldn't use it.
- Couldn't find MPowerSynth in the generators.
- Do I have to draw each harmonic individual in the additive module? And modulating also separate?
- Where is the global mod matrix to see what is modulating? Can't expect a user to step through each module until they find it.
- After I finally found the Arp, it is running out of sync and triggers more or less notes randomly but never consistent
- Is there an Arp per OSC?

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:25 pm
JunSev wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:37 pm In all seriousness, Msoundfactory really can sound as analog as you like, is only a matter of learn how to use and set it up for that, and no, it doesn't need external samples for that, it can do it with its own internal synthesis.
No it does not , because is just not capable of some stuff like audio rate filters , without exploding the crap out of them .
That 's what I mean with a good analog emulation ( amongst other things )
If you are happy with a few random detuned voices and call it analog , good for you .
I like MSF a lot , it's a real powerhouse ... but for analog sounding stuff I fire up TALmod or reaktor :tu:
But this is really ridiculous, only because it doesn't please you with one feature is just unable to get some analog sound emulation from it... when many of the hardware synths in the past had different character and features, others even lacks what others had and so on.

And you go as far as to say that we should look else where because we simply can't have analog sound from it, because it just sound cold and digital. I think that you're a little bit deluded because Msoundfactory is not (at least from the very main goal) trying to be a especific emulation of anything, as others synths does. MSF does a very good job, you requested this in the melda forum but don't feel yourself unhappy just because this can't be done yet or never, developers can't please all wishes sometimes.

With all respect.

I did spring in the end, and credit where it's due it's significantly easier than Melda's older frameworks. I didn't have to check the manual to get a load of modulation going for instance, it was actually... easy? :o So maybe damning with faint praise, but it seems things are moving in the right direction. Melda really can do great design - I waxed lyrical about the quality of MMorph's design earlier in the thread - and while it's not MMorph, it's a huge improvement on say the clusterfuck of MMultibandGranular. Most importantly, I will actually use this thing, and that's surely the only test that matters to each person in the end. All in all I was really pleasantly surprised by the improvement given how complex this thing is.

They should allow a temporary license and put this in the hands of the One Synth Challenge folks for the month of June.

Then we would really see what this thing is capable of.
It would be quite epic as they say.

Local Man wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:00 am
They should allow a temporary license and put this in the hands of the One Synth Challenge folks for the month of June.

Then we would really see what this thing is capable of.
It would be quite epic as they say.
Well, it's still available to beta test as well, so go for it!

Velocity Scale 1 and 2 seem to have no effect. Is there another velocity setting somewhere? I can't find it in Global. I assume that's where it would be.

NVM. Found it under advanced.

On audiorate filter modulation. I assume cutoff modulation.

All synths that can modulate the filter cutoff frequency at rates above some 20 Hz can do this. But I guess what is meant is....at some musically tuned audiorate, with a "regular" oscillator as a modulation source. This is not a very common feature in synths (hard- or software).

What is actually sounds like?

Since partials/frequencies are getting periodically attenuated at audiorate level (following the shape of the oscillator) it effectively results in Amplitude Modulation for the effected partials/frequencies. Thus generating sum and difference frequencies. The amount of modulation is the max amount of (periodic) attenuation. Depending on the filtertype and slope, this usually means that the modulation amount varies per partial and over time. Unlike "normal" AM, which effects all partials with the same amount.

Hope this makes sense....

A random example of audiorate Filter Cutoff modulation as demonstrated by Retrosound on a Moog Minimoog Model D, so at least we have some idea of what it sounds like (@0:45).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMywGcOub7E&t=45

I asked in the other thread but I'll ask here. In the matrix, I have 3 rows of oscillators. I have a filter in the 2nd row. How do I feed rows 1 and 3 into row 2. I have tried everything I can think of. There isn't even a help icon for that section.

Return to “Instruments”