Think twice before you buy at reFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

reFX is the maker behind the Nexus 2 rompler and known for having impressive demo tracks, ready to use presets and trendy sounds. The price for this can be considered "premium".

In order to use Nexus 2, you need an eLicenser. That's the dongle technology invented and used by Steinberg for products like Cubase etc. The eLicenser is on your own bill.

So far so good and nothing spectacular here, as you know about this fact at the time of purchase.

But:

You better never come into a situation where you need support from reFX - especially you should never lose your eLicenser, get robbed or having a defective eLicenser. In this case you learn how shady this company is and how shabby the support behaves.

While Steinberg has a clear and easy to follow process in case your eLicenser get's damaged or lost/stolen which ensures that you have no downtime (Zero Downtime), reFX creates serious hurdles, calls you implicitly a liar and talks about fraudulence, when not closing tickets. Do not expect any useful help or activity from them.

They insist that you send your eLicenser to a shady postbox in Canada. To be more precise: To a postbox with unknown owner to a business without a trustworthy and informative imprint which, in addition to the company headquarters, also contains information about the owners and direct accessibility by mail and/or telephone. They even hide their contact information from domain WhoIs, do not provide any tax or registry information etc.

In short: They ask you to send you only physical proof to an anonymous "company" in a foreign country to a postbox with an unknown owner. You have to declare customs and you are in charge for the shipping, which is about 38,99 through DHL if sending it insured...You will have no guarantee that it doesn't magically disappear and you have no certainty that they do not continue playing games after they've received the eLicenser.

If their would be more licenses on the damaged one and more companies following this ridiculous strategy to f*ck with customers, you are fully screwed. If you lost your key, you're screwed as you have to purchase a new license. If you eLicenser was stolen, you are screwed because you have to pay after begging... In any case if you need help. you are screwed, you cannot use the software you have paid for and there is no way around this.

While they respond quickly to tickets, their responses have no value and do not help. While they tell you, they could offer you a temporary license, they actually don't provide this license. While Steinberg - for example - actually helps you, they nag you and treat you like a liar and beggar...

Steinberg deactivates a key, if you opt for Zero Downtime support. No one should then be able to use the key. They provide you instantly a temporary activation key to bridge the gap required for the support to send you a new activation key and the time you need to acquire a fresh eLicenser. They provide you usually within one working day with a new fully operational activation key.

reFX requires you to send an insured and customs declared package to a shady anonymous postbox in Canada without making any promise beyond that point and without being precise about the time required for this sick process.

Their explanation: To protect themselves against fraudulence... Which kind of fraudulence I ask you! The risk that one claims to have a defective eLicenser while the eLicenser still works so that he has a second license? Which value would this license have compared to p*ssed and lost customer who's frustrated because he cannot access any production containing Nexus 2 content? What do they think will this mean for future business with this customer or with others who read about this hostile behavior?

The company lost me as a customer. I will have pain to work with projects containing Nexus 2 presets but it can't hurt any more than the realization that I have thrown several hundred euros down the throat of a shady company and have to be called a liar and a fraud at the moment of "greatest need".

With such a**holes I do no more business and recommend everyone to consider exactly whether he wants to risk the same experience - because reFX is only great as long as you have no problems. If you have these, you are lost.
mod edit wrote:Members are asked to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc. Users linking to, asking for information about, or blatantly bragging about using, warez, crackz, pirated sample content, re-printing material without permission, etc. will result in your post being edited / deleted, and you may be issued with a warning and / or a ban.
I have written off the money. Because I don't trust this dubious company and I won't give away my (defect) proof of ownership. Anyone who hides so meticulously from customers and is anxious to hide from them has no trustworthiness and the behavior of the support underlines this additionally.

My advice: Don't buy anything from reFX. Look for alternatives!

I hope you got a lot of steam off in that rant - it was a long read and I wish you well in your music making, focus on companies that dont hold you by the balls! Thanks for the heads up in general about liability and dangers of dongles. ReFX dont seem very popular and perhaps this is a good reason why...

The reFx eLicenser policy is known to be on the extreme end. Even just moving the license from one eLicenser to another is a hassle.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I agree, stay far away from reFX.

could use reFX in a different fashion but I wont say how. :p
But really it's why I stay far away from USB E-License nonsense.

I don't get it. What's shady about a PO box?

So you didn't send the eLicenser back?
Signatures are so early 2000s.

i dunno, i owned nexus2 for several years. any time i had a question, or an issue, they got back to me promptly. and, when i sold my license & elicenser (on this site!), the transfer was easy.

your experience is not everyone's experience (and your opinions are your own). i'd say, buy what you want, use the tools you want, and get on with making music.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:14 pm I don't get it. What's shady about a PO box?
Hmmmm

thinks of lots of nefarious uses.....

:oops: did I really say that.

Every second company has a PO box here... or some partner company which handles returns for them.

Just send the eLicenser back as they asked, using tracked delivery so you've got proof. Then they can try to help.

If they pull anything dodgy, tell them you have proof of delivery.

It sounds to me like you're making this a lot harder than it has to be.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:14 pm I don't get it. What's shady about a PO box?
Here today gone tomorrow, no way to confirm if it's a legitimate business or a scam...etc etc.

Anyway I put ReFx on my list of developers I won't do business with a long time ago. Never looked back.

I find it amusing that even with all their dongle paranoia and madness there is apparently a cracked version available (based on what is written in this thread). :lol:
Last edited by Teksonik on Fri May 17, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Kongru wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:28 pm It sounds to me like you're making this a lot harder than it has to be.
Exactly. As usual.

Kongru wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:28 pm Just send the eLicenser back as they asked, using tracked delivery so you've got proof.
I think that's his point. Send it back to a PO Box and even if you get confirmation it was delivered then what ? It's not like the company has a physical address. The confirmation will be signed by the store that rents the PO boxes not the owner of the box since they are not physically present at the location except when picking up their mail.

These PO box places are all over Vegas. I try to avoid doing business with any company that doesn't have a physical address.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

The main problem is their absolute no tolerance policy. If you lose your eLicenser it is gone. Period. All other companies have some sort of way to replace a lost license. Even VSL gives you a replacement discount. reFx does nothing.

Another thing that has been bothering me in the past (and they might have changed that, don't know) is that their license is tied to a specific eLicenser. If you change your dongle you cannot just move the license. I needed to provide 1) proof that I own the license and 2) provide a detailed reason why I needed to move the license, and only then would they allow me to move the license to a new dongle.

The final issue is that if the eLicenser is broken and contained both Nexus and VSL library licenses you have to send the broken eLicenser to both companies which is obviously not possible. So you can decide wether you want one or the other license back. But you can never get all of them replaced.

I generally don't mind dongles, but reFx and VSL licenses on an eLicenser make me a bit squeezy.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Return to “Instruments”