Scale Definition listings

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For all the scales that we can choose from, is there a document of what Rapid Composer uses of those defined scales. I'm just looking for the definition of the Key of C for all the scales.

Thanks.

(notes to myself) I sent the scales in e-mail to ValliSoftware.
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

(notes to myself) Thank MusicDevelopments for the scale file. :D

I'm doing some testing and I might have a question about something but if everything looks good I'll share my updated scale file that will include over 1,500 scales.

The following website analyzes *every* possible scale that can be created from the twelve pitches of the twelve-tone equal temperament chromatic scale (there are 1,490 *unique* scales possible): https://ianring.com/musictheory/scales/

The site is comprehensive and impressive: entries from scale index 0 to scale index 4095
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Sorry for the late post but I finished creating my own custom Scales.rcSCAL file.
I run RapidComposer on a Mac, so the location is
Documents/RapidComposerV3/DB
You'll see a Scales.rcSCAL file, be sure to back that up then unzipped the attached file and put that into the DB folder.
If you notice the layout
I prefixed the Folder names with a exclamation point "!" just so the new scales are grouped together.
Then the scale names are prefixed with a caret "^". I did this so I don't mess up the existing scales that RapidComposer has where they'll get duplicated with my custom scale names.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wow! Very nice contribution, Gabe! :tu:
Many thanks!
Attila

Is anyone that's following this thread familiar with the Scala program? It purportedly lists about 4800 scales. Scala is an editor, librarian, and analysis tool for musical tunings, like just intonation scales, equal or historical temperaments, non-western scales and microtonal scales. It allows scales to be created, manipulated and combined in many different ways. It can tune many different synthesizers and samplers by sending standard MIDI files to them. It can also modify the tuning of music in MIDI files, or translate MIDI files into a microtonal text score.

Although, the program is so old that I don't know if it's supported anymore.

Meanwhile,.. thank you so much for the expanded scale set work, ValliSoftware!

dmhotep wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:14 amIt purportedly lists about 4800 scales. Scala is an editor, librarian, and analysis tool for musical tunings,
It's 4800 musical tunings, not scales.

Scala tunings only work with software sequencers/instruments that support it, while scales are supported in all sequencers like Logic, ProTools, Cubase, etc... and all software instruments.

I was looking at this because I have Melodyne and this same list, I want for Melodyne as well but I found an issue with working with Scala and Melodyne. Had to do with selecting a key within a scale. Because I was doing something out of the norm, it wasn't working as expected, but I did find a unique work-around. :D

I just updated to 3.66 and once I start it, it deletes and recreates a Scales.rcSCAL.
So the custom Scales.rcSCAL that I created can't be used.

I am sorry about that. I am fixing the installer so that this won't happen in the future.

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:40 pm I am sorry about that. I am fixing the installer so that this won't happen in the future.
Thanks and I actually found a work-around.
I made that file "locked" so it can't be modified. :D

Now I see my scales again.

musicdevelopments wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:40 pm I am sorry about that. I am fixing the installer so that this won't happen in the future.
Just to be clear. The installer isn't what's wiping my custom scale file, it's every time I run RapidComposer.
Version 3.7 is doing the same thing.

So I update the file in the DB folder, start RapidComposer and my custom scale file is replaced with the default scale file.

If I "lock" my custom file, then RapidComposer can't delete the file and now I'm able to see my custom scales because my custom scale file is still there.

So you are on macOS? OMG you must be right.

musicdevelopments wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:59 pm So you are on macOS? OMG you must be right.
Yes, I'm on High Sierra 10.13.6

I can confirm this on OSX 10.13.6

1. Copy the new scale file to DB

Code: Select all

$ ll Scales.rcSCAL*
-r--r--r--@ 1 mark  staff  94577 13 Jun 13:49 Scales.rcSCAL
-rw-r--r--  1 mark  admin  16774  6 Jun 17:27 Scales.rcSCAL.back
-rw-r--r--@ 1 mark  staff  94577 13 Jun 13:49 Scales.rcSCAL.new
2. Startup RC (running 3.7) and the file gets overwritten

Code: Select all

$ ll Scales.rcSCAL*
-rw-r--r--  1 mark  admin  16774 13 Jun 13:50 Scales.rcSCAL
-rw-r--r--  1 mark  admin  16774  6 Jun 17:27 Scales.rcSCAL.back
-rw-r--r--@ 1 mark  staff  94577 13 Jun 13:49 Scales.rcSCAL.new
Locking the file either via the Finder or the command line (chflags uchg Scales.rcSCAL) preserves the file.
-- mark.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”