Think twice before you buy at reFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mgw38 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:38 pmThe final issue is that if the eLicenser is broken and contained both Nexus and VSL library licenses you have to send the broken eLicenser to both companies which is obviously not possible. So you can decide wether you want one or the other license back. But you can never get all of them replaced.
I've often wondered about this. I've been lucky so far and no issues with my eLicenser, but sure it will happen one day.

I've sympathies with the OP. While I've had good experience with their support, ReFX do not make it easy here, and other companies do better. While Avenger is certainly not a straightforward Nexus replacement, there is some overlap and their licensing policies are massively better. I haven't bought any Nexus libraries since Avenger came out, and likely won't without changes both to the software itself and especially the licensing.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

59EEAB36-5B9E-4E5D-A94B-3CDC4CCB1A4E.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Did you ever think that they don't list a physical address because of people like you?

mgw38 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:38 pm The main problem is their absolute no tolerance policy. If you lose your eLicenser it is gone. Period. All other companies have some sort of way to replace a lost license. Even VSL gives you a replacement discount. reFx does nothing.
You might remember CD's and DVD's ;). If you lost your CD or DVD, and the copy protection requires to have the CD put in, you're screwed, basically. TBH, i never heard anyone complain about that, back in the days. It's just in paradise that we complain about all those things.

About refx "not being pupular": Everybody in Trance or EDM music used Nexus at some point. It's very popular, and very successful, and the pros also don't complain about the prices, they just buy it, because they can, and obviously have no problem paying for something which will add quality to their music.

Refx vanguard was nice.. But I'd stay away from them now.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:29 pm You might remember CD's and DVD's ;). If you lost your CD or DVD, and the copy protection requires to have the CD put in, you're screwed, basically. TBH, i never heard anyone complain about that, back in the days.
you must have been living under a rock then. there was a whole movement to make circumventing DRM legal precisely because of this issue. everyone hated SafeDisk, Securom, Starforce and whatever other god-awful copy protection schemes that were shoved down users' throats.

also, just because it was worse before doesn't justify being an asshole to your customers now.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:45 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:29 pm You might remember CD's and DVD's ;). If you lost your CD or DVD, and the copy protection requires to have the CD put in, you're screwed, basically. TBH, i never heard anyone complain about that, back in the days.
you must have been living under a rock then. there was a whole movement to make circumventing DRM legal precisely because of this issue. everyone hated SafeDisk, Securom, Starforce and whatever other god-awful copy protection schemes that were shoved down users' throats.

also, just because it was worse before doesn't justify being an asshole to your customers now.
+1

Noted.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

I doubt that it has to do with "being asshole" to your customers, rather with support and paper work. And, besides, just because SOME people hated CD/DVD protection back then, it doesn't make circumventing and breaking the law more justified. After all, it's done for a reason, and that's making it hard or impossible for thieves to pirate the products.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:59 pm

I doubt that it has to do with "being asshole" to your customers, rather with support and paper work. And, besides, just because SOME people hated CD/DVD protection back then, it doesn't make circumventing and breaking the law more justified. After all, it's done for a reason, and that's making it hard or impossible for thieves to pirate the products.
breaking DRM wasn't "breaking the law" back then, it was only made illegal by stupid laws like the DMCA. circumventing DRM for backup purposes still isn't illegal in a lot of countries. i also like how you smuggle in a premise that whatever measures are taken to prevent piracy, are always entirely justified. if someone makes you undergo anal cavity search in the name of safety, that's not a worthwhile trade to make even if you do end up safer. the mere fact that DRM attempts (but ultimately fails ) to combat piracy is not sufficient to justify any DRM being acceptable - piracy is not an automatic argument winner. one that leaves customers high and dry (like the OP) certainly isn't justified.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Might as well get Omnisphere instead, Nexus ain't all that

Well... if you do EDM type music, Nexus will be the much better choice than Omnisphere. It really depends what you want to do with it.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:26 pm Well... if you do EDM type music, Nexus will be the much better choice than Omnisphere. It really depends what you want to do with it.
EDM... man that is such a dumb thing American music companies used ...
How can trance , house, deep house, hardcore, dubstep etc etc all be grouped into one type of sound...
oh and lets not forget the "Berlin" sound...

Lets go back to being specific about genres.. plz

I loath that EDM term...
all grouped together...
we're different...
Viva_La_difference ...

:P

I agree. Maybe i should have just said... dance music. Or something. :) Even though that could include any kind of music. Mmh... guess for once, i'm happy with that EDM umbrella term. At least it remotely tells what's in the box.

Aren't these guys from refx milking the same shit for over 10 years , sample pack upon sample pack ...
I feel sorry for those who feel atttracted to such a product in the first place , just checked that website : 3500 euro for a sample player with Woowzers samples ...c'mon guys wake up :)
The guy who coded the first synths for refx did a good thing leaving refx( plasticz , etc ) , he did have an argue with michael kleps ( refx ) and is now running tone2
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”