A modular platform

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Toets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:30 amBeen toying with the bitwig beta at a friends ths week, anthe new modular is so much fun, espescially since it allows you to visualise the signals so good in the inspector... the simple design/look works really well, yet the relatively small number of building blocks is quite limmiting.. there is no wave table osc for starters.. and there are only basic filters..
The Sampler module has a wavetable mode.

imrae wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:16 pm Well, in itself that's not a problem. Most programming languages are written/implemented using other programming languages, e.g. the standard Python interpreter is written in C. In principle you can implement any programming language in any other "complete" language. But Max and Reaktor aren't really intended for that sort of thing...
Reaktor is a completely closed system as far as any user is concerned.

MAX on the other hand is quite different. Its entirely possible to write third-part MAX objects, in multiple languages from C to Java and Javascript. MAX's Gen DSP language is also capable of exporting C++ code that can then be recompiled for other systems, and this is already used as a development platform for several hardware DSP devices.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Toets wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:45 pm Modular is more popular then ever..
Not just in eurorack
But also in software..
Just look at all the offerings from Reaktor, Live(max), bitwig3, and many others..

Isn’t it time for an open standard for modular soft synths?
Where every developer can sell his own modules?

When done right.. there also should be a hardware controller for this..
Maybe I'm not quite getting the distinction, but can't any developer sell their own VCV modules? Isn't it an open source format?

Toets wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:15 amWhere in a VST the specifications for a whole instrument are defined..
Uh, no. VST does not define a whole instrument. For a start, VST is for both effect and instrument plugins. And an "instrument", really, is just an effect with event input(s). There's nothing in the API that stops you using the Audio ins/outs and Event ins/outs for whatever you want (plus you can have named parameters that behave certain ways - but that's just a nice extra - the audio I/O can be thought of directly as audio rate CV ("continuous values"...), really).

Can we also get virtual Lego? I bet its too hard to get the authentic sound of it though...

They’d make a great brickwall limiter.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:10 am Can we also get virtual Lego?
Yup.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/themes/worlds

(Currently on sale at $10 via Humble Bundle)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

But is it worth the sound?

i like the digital lego sounds.
very close to the original hardware.

also, takes up much less space and isnt so painful to stand on with bare feet.

Return to “Instruments”