Cakewalk by Bandlab gets ARA 2 support

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Waaoo, that is incredible:

"Cakewalk by Bandlab" is free - and it comes with ARA2-support
in may.

That means you can use melodyne in an elegant integrated way.
AFAIK the only other DAWs with ARA2 are Apple Logic and Reaper.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Cubase will have it in the next free update.
Don't understand what the fuzz is about though. I understand some ppl want pitch correction on some occations, but Cubase has had Variaudio for many years.. Ppl must use Melodyne as part of their workflow for a reason. Cant only be for fixing bad singers or creating autotune artifacts by choice? Using premade samples to create a new song maybe? Remix purposes? What are ppl using it for?
Does Melodyne sound that much better than the competition or is it a workflow thing?

They were the second DAW to integrate ARA when they were Sonar. Really glad to see them already integrating ARA2, that plus the huge stability improvements with all the bug fixes this past year, has made Cakewalk a pleasure to work with. So glad Bandlab took over.

cnt wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:44 pm Cubase will have it in the next free update.
Don't understand what the fuzz is about though. I understand some ppl want pitch correction on some occations, but Cubase has had Variaudio for many years.. Ppl must use Melodyne as part of their workflow for a reason. Cant only be for fixing bad singers or creating autotune artifacts by choice? Using premade samples to create a new song maybe? Remix purposes? What are ppl using it for?
Does Melodyne sound that much better than the competition or is it a workflow thing?
There must be a reason why Cubase will intergrate ARA2 (BTW, they bought SpectralLayers and as I understand it, it will also do ARA2 in V6)...
Samplitude recently updated a few p[roducts that include ARA2..
and as Presonus were involved from the inception of ARA with Celemony |would be surprised if they don't support ARA2
What melodyne brings is polyphonic detection and it goes way beyond just pitch detection and correction.
Also Sonar/Cakewalk used ARA1 for other things not just for melodyne ;)

toonertik wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:20 pm
cnt wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:44 pm Cubase will have it in the next free update.
There must be a reason why Cubase will intergrate ARA2 (BTW, they bought SpectralLayers and as I understand it, it will also do ARA2 in V6)...
and as Presonus were involved from the inception of ARA with Celemony |would be surprised if they don't support ARA2
What melodyne brings is polyphonic detection and it goes way beyond just pitch detection and correction.
The more expensive Melodyne Editor and Studio can handle polyphonic audio material, of course, it works best when the audio is a single polyphonic instrument, eg. guitar, piano, organ.

Agreed, it is impressive that ARA 2 has been implemented in the free Cakewalk.

pbognar wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:40 pm
toonertik wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:20 pm
The more expensive Melodyne Editor and Studio can handle polyphonic audio material, of course, it works best when the audio is a single polyphonic instrument, eg. guitar, piano.......
Yeah, plus there is some more software than Celemony out there which can make use of ara. :party:

I understand ppl want it. But often does one need to adjust a polyphonic recording? Im just curious how ppl use it in making music, thats all.

So what's the deal with Cakewalk by Bandlab? Can you buy some addons, or features which enhance the basic, free version? How do Bandlab create some money with Cakewalk so that they can fund further development? Where's the catch? Anyone? :)

cnt wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:30 pm I understand ppl want it. But often does one need to adjust a polyphonic recording? Im just curious how ppl use it in making music, thats all.
there's a million ways to use it - turning polyphonic audio into MIDI is just one of them. ;-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

chk071 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:25 pm So what's the deal with Cakewalk by Bandlab? Can you buy some addons, or features which enhance the basic, free version? How do Bandlab create some money with Cakewalk so that they can fund further development? Where's the catch? Anyone? :)
Nope - there is no catch at all! And Sonar really has an impressive feature set. For starters, it fully support multitouch, something most of the competition completely fails at.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

chk071 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:25 pm So what's the deal with Cakewalk by Bandlab? Can you buy some addons, or features which enhance the basic, free version? How do Bandlab create some money with Cakewalk so that they can fund further development? Where's the catch? Anyone? :)
The owner of bandlab, Kuok Meng Ru,loves music,and has a billionaire father who is funding him.

While ever his dad keeps giving him money, then the development keeps going.

So how long is apiece of string ?

jens wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:09 pm
cnt wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:30 pm I understand ppl want it. But often does one need to adjust a polyphonic recording? Im just curious how ppl use it in making music, thats all.
there's a million ways to use it - turning polyphonic audio into MIDI is just one of them. ;-)
Here's another: guitar player hit a bum note during an arpeggio in otherwise great performance. With polyphonic detection, you can remove and replace the offending note without having to overdub or edit the whole section.

I love that Cakewalk is free, but I don't really like the workflow with all the ancient Windows menu stuff going on there. Hopefully they will improve the GUI there.

Catch is they don't make money with that DAW, it's their marketing move, as I understood owner is rich anyways and rich people spend money to look good too, buying all those expensive clothes, cars and whatnot, buying Cakewalk to make Bandlab look better and not making money from it isn't most stupidest move one rich guy could make.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”