[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Sounds very promising! But as it looks, the stretch algorithms still haven't been revised (no slice mode and no turntable mode). That's still a big disadvantage for any electronic musician compared to Live, Bitwig, FL Studio or Logic.

Real Yawner of a point 5 release zzzzzzz

Maybe I have a more sanguine view of S1 generally; I tend to see it as a big work in progress, and I think they're making progress. It's easier for me to think that as I don't use it as my main DAW. There are some glaring problems that have already been mentioned, but the biggest issues will also take the longest to fix.

I'm extremely happy with the waveform change - that drove me insane when I was working more with S1. Plugin manager is very nice, and adding Mixtool functionality directly to mix channels is very welcome as well.

The little things all add up! :D

Real good stuff leaked in that preview. The video sort of rushed through the Midi features, so here is to hoping there is more there then 'revealed'. I also wonder what was with the 80s television shows on the facebook/twitter teases for this announcement. Looking forward still to the official event tomorrow!

steve.lindqvist wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:51 pm Sounds very promising! But as it looks, the stretch algorithms still haven't been revised (no slice mode and no turntable mode). That's still a big disadvantage for any electronic musician compared to Live, Bitwig, FL Studio or Logic.
Yep

bundoo wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:37 pm
steve.lindqvist wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 1:51 pm Sounds very promising! But as it looks, the stretch algorithms still haven't been revised (no slice mode and no turntable mode). That's still a big disadvantage for any electronic musician compared to Live, Bitwig, FL Studio or Logic.
Yep
Electronic musicians are clearly not their target audience. Why try to attract electronic musicians with more time stretch algorithms when basic MIDI features still don't exist? Seems to me that they've been trying to go after the Pro Tools crowd and sell Presonus mixers and interfaces.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:47 pm
Yep
Electronic musicians are clearly not their target audience. Why try to attract electronic musicians with more time stretch algorithms when basic MIDI features still don't exist? Seems to me that they've been trying to go after the Pro Tools crowd and sell Presonus mixers and interfaces.
It's a balance. Then why did they come out with the Atom? Your grabbing an audience from NI, Ableton, Akai etc. Why is it that most of the presonus blogs are interviews with songwriters/producers now? I mean does anybody wanna watch someone recording guitar through an interface into Studio One and watch three videos about that? Or is Ableton with Push 3 and Live 11 with chord track more exciting? Look at studio one 4's release. Why are they pushing the loops so much (what genre is this big in? EDM/hip hop). They gotta keep up with the newer generation and get the attention of the new kids. Up and comers are not looking for 2 million complicated features to make music. That's why NI, Ableton are kicking ass. Reason and Imageline also. The DP, Cubase, PT users are content with what's been working for 10-30 years. Your not replacing Pro Tools/Logic in a commerical studio. I think for a lot of hobbyist yes Studio One can.

IMO you can go after the PT crowd, but get left behind when Ableton add a Chord track and a Push 3. This will kill your edm/hip hop user base and just have you left behind with the cubase users who been using that DAW for 40 years. Watch what happens when Native get in with Maschine to where people won't need Studio One for flushing out tracks. Komplete, NKS are Presonus's top most requested features so you can imagine what NI will do with a good sequencer for their DJ/producer customer base. You have komplete, maschine, komplete kontrol.

Main point is to keep it balanced. Because just like one of the producer/songwriters said they thought studio one was just "a mixing program for rock guys". It's a reason why FL, Imageline, NI, Reason are brought up for creators in making music before Studio One (which I really like), Digital performer, Cubase etc. Studio One, DP, Cubase I kinda of group together because to me it doesn't really fit in with the new audience musicians coming that Ableton, NI, Imageline try to target.
Last edited by rmacattack on Mon May 20, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting to see what else was added.

How much you wanna bet that Live (bitwig, FL, NI) adds a chord track or other S1 features to have a workflow that fits edm/hip hop guys lol. As for Studio One, I think each update they are trying to give a little bit to everybody.

rmacattack wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:15 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:47 pm
Yep
It's a balance. Then why did they come out with the Atom? Your grabbing an audience from NI, Ableton, Akai etc. Why is it that most of the presonus blogs are interviews with songwriters/producers now? I mean does anybody wanna watch someone recording guitar through an interface into Studio One and watch three videos about that? Or is Ableton with Push 3 and Live 11 with chord track more exciting? Look at studio one 4's release. Why are they pushing the loops so much (what genre is this big in? EDM/hip hop). They gotta keep up with the newer generation and get the attention of the new kids. Up and comers are not looking for 2 million complicated features to make music. That's why NI, Ableton are kicking ass. Reason and Imageline also. The DP, Cubase, PT users are content with what's been working for 10-30 years. Your not replacing Pro Tools/Logic in a commerical studio. I think for a lot of hobbyist yes Studio One can.

IMO you can go after the PT crowd, but get left behind when Ableton add a Chord track and a Push 3. This will kill your edm/hip hop user base and just have you left behind with the cubase users who been using that DAW for 40 years. Watch what happens when Native get in with Maschine to where people won't need Studio One for flushing out tracks. Komplete, NKS are Presonus's top most requested features so you can imagine what NI will do with a good sequencer for their DJ/producer customer base. You have komplete, maschine, komplete kontrol.

Main point is to keep it balanced. Because just like one of the producer/songwriters said they thought studio one was just "a mixing program for rock guys". It's a reason why FL, Imageline, NI, Reason are brought up for creators in making music before Studio One (which I really like), Digital performer, Cubase etc. Studio One, DP, Cubase I kinda of group together because to me it doesn't really fit in with the new audience musicians coming that Ableton, NI, Imageline try to target.
I'm looking at it from the perspective of: I'm electronic producer...am I going to look at Studio One and say "Yep, that's the DAW for me, over something like Bitwig or Live?" Maybe some people would come to that conclusion, but not me. I'd look at Studio One and go, "I can't even integrate my hardware synths into this" or "no MPE," or "no crazy modulators like Bitwig" or "no clip launching/live performance options like Ableton" and move right on to one of those other options. Doesn't mean everyone will come to that same conclusion of course, but catering to modern electronic music production workflows is not a strength of Studio One compared to the competition.

Maybe Presonus will shift gears at some point, and incrementally make changes to improve that, but at the moment, it doesn't do some basic MIDI things well, which I'd think would be the foundation to any later enhancements around electronic music production. At least, not if one wasn't trying to put the cart before the horse.

Anyway, these are just my own opinions. I'm sure there are tons of examples of people doing awesome electronic music production in S1 (it's totally doable if you're totally ITB or used to a certain workflow) and they'd appreciate more attention. I'd personally just be looking to go in a different direction if I were checking out DAWs for that type of work.

no signs of Komplete Kontrol integration?

If you are in to modern EDM production and loop based music then Bitwig is hard to ignore as it does the Ableton loop and rack stuff and has the modulation and now grid for further chaos and experimentation. Studio one however excels in linear recording and audio and midi editing. To me, they are different tools for different jobs, and athough there will always be some overlap, I doubt they will ever replace each other (so I use both!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

pabloaldunate wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:36 pm no signs of Komplete Kontrol integration?
If there is, they have done a good job to keep that under-raps, but I doubt it...I'll be expecting the youtube chat to be filled with that particular question though like some 1980's TV computer screen with text scrolling...up it :D...

___
READY
10 FOR X=1 TO 5
20 PRINT "IS THERE ANY NKS SUPPORT IN STUDIO ONE 4.5"
30 NEXT X
RUN
IS THERE ANY NKS SUPPORT IN STUDIO ONE 4.5

READY
___

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AClroPU ... e=youtu.be
The stream starts about now, 4PM UK, time btw..
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

The release notes reference sheet for Studio One 4.5 has just been added to page one. (A bit more of a pastel vibe this time. :-))
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Installed 4.5 and have had a little play around...

One of the tests I've done over the years is with Mai Tai (posted on youtube) using multiple instances and one other with a single one. Previously I was able to overload my I7 920 a 3.56Ghz with just one. Setting the Mai Tia instrument to extreme, max polyphony, full sustain and decay levels, all effects enabled and about 50 keys held down, I couldn't get any CPU overload within Studio One, only around 50% was what I was able to reach and that was with Photoshop sitting in background.Throwing 5 Mai Tai's, using default patch in a Multi Instrument, set at normal level rather than 80's mode barely took 22% of the CPU level, where previously I could do that with just one. It will be interesting to see how other VST's will benefit with the optimisations in CPU handling.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”