Huge sale on Cubase 10 - 50% off for new purchases or crossgrades

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

but, back to Cubase and .5, it may as well be a full update to a new version, since at least Cubase 5.

MadDogE134 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:41 am usually the 'catch' is a major update is in the works so it is a money grab at the end of cycle and the lot that buy in will be up for a new 'bill' to upgrade their product to current. not saying steinberg is playing this game and it is only speculation on my part but this has happened many times with software of all types (not just audio) and their respective companies. actually quite a common business practice across the board with the advent of computers and software based product to boost revenue and recover costs of development.
Steinberg has a fairly consistent upgrade cycle. At least so far. And Cubase 10 is a relatively recent release. We should be in the middle of the minor upgrade cycle between 10 and 10.5 and the next major upgrade (11) should happen at the end of 2020, in about 18 months.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Steinberg have a very consistent history of this. Updates for sale every December (with grace period usually starting in mid October) full point upgrades are a hunnit bucks, .5 upgrades are fiddy bucks. and if you're a cheap SOB like me, you either wait until they have an upgrade sale, or you hold on to your upgrade until the grace period is announced and then grab the next version for nada. or both.

Now of course that all COULD change, but If it wasn't working for them, I would have thought they would have abandoned the model already. since we're all about equating upgrade plans to subscription prices, think of it as $150 for 2 years development which is what a few DAWs charge for a year.

yellowmix wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:37 am There's no catch. Just be aware of their update schedule and pricing and you won't have any surprises.
This!!

My guess is Steinberg are going to have a whole bunch of new prodoozahs that have Cubase 10 in addition to whatever other DAW they are using at the end of this but I don't think most of the new users will buy into the upgrade pricing strategy and ditch their existing DAW of choice. When it comes time to uogt, they will upgrade the DAW who's workflow fits better for the one man bedroom prodoozah, which Cubase is not. Cubase is more complex. Just my guess.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

mgw38 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:11 am
MadDogE134 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:41 am usually the 'catch' is a major update is in the works so it is a money grab at the end of cycle and the lot that buy in will be up for a new 'bill' to upgrade their product to current. not saying steinberg is playing this game and it is only speculation on my part but this has happened many times with software of all types (not just audio) and their respective companies. actually quite a common business practice across the board with the advent of computers and software based product to boost revenue and recover costs of development.
Steinberg has a fairly consistent upgrade cycle. At least so far. And Cubase 10 is a relatively recent release. We should be in the middle of the minor upgrade cycle between 10 and 10.5 and the next major upgrade (11) should happen at the end of 2020, in about 18 months.
I think if you can. Resist the temptation to install now and just sit on the licence until Oct or Nov, the fixes in 10.5 should be worth it. There is nothing in 10 that is that drastically different from 9. I am treating it as a upfront investment into 10.5 as I don't want to get dinged again for minor fixes to the core product.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

What are the USP's for Cubase, where does it stand out comparing to other DAW's?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:15 am What are the USP's for Cubase, where does it stand out comparing to other DAW's?
You already have Studio One and a bunch of other DAWs so I'd argue that Cubase won't really have anything over and above to offer you.
Always Read the Manual!

It has a few very nice things Studio One doesn't have such as VariAudio, Audio Alignment, Track Versions and mixer snapshots.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:06 am It has a few very nice things Studio One doesn't have such as VariAudio, Audio Alignment, Track Versions and mixer snapshots.
That's in the audio department. But also in the MIDI department it is a much better tool, and also offer a very good score editor.
Fernando (FMR)

That might very well be but I barely use any MIDI at all, so I wouldn't know. Mixer snapshots are useful for everyone b.t.w. .
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Still holding out for another Cubasis sale. I realize I missed it in April... :-(

starflakeprj wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:15 am What are the USP's for Cubase, where does it stand out comparing to other DAW's?
Also, cubase has komplete kontrol mk2 compatibility, while studio one pro 4 doesn't. It's kind of a big deal for me as I use the kontrol keyboard. For others it may not matter.

Full MPE support. and Note Expression leverages any such control for vst2, expression per note. I haven't seen it not work on an instrument.

It is currently the only DAW other than Nuendo that supports immersive audio formats (Ambisonics up to 3rd order) with fully integrated workflows. This is something you would need for VR or game audio work. It also has surround sound capabilities up to 5.1. And I think the Control Room setup is also unique to Cubase. This adds an additional audio processing layer that allows you to operate different monitoring setups simultaneously.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Apparently 10.5 is due out in November. Who else is planning on holding out on activating their licence until then?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”