Cubase Drum Map Setup and Other Questions.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:45 pmwithout a timeline/lane for each instrument/articulation
I have no idea what you want with that. You have drums in different timelines? Are you from the future?

Horizontal = timeline, no?
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

you said timeline "for each", I guess not meaning that exactly.
Cubase has the one timeline.
albeit you can set quantize presets and see two different grids, one at 16ths and the other at all kind of things which don't resolve to 16ths at all.

does the Drum Editor not seem useful? each drum is in its own segment of a grid and the project timeline shows.

No, that's exactly what I want. I just wanted all the extraneous lanes in the drum editor removed. I'm pretty close now to getting my first template in order. I want it to match, as closely as possible, my main Logic template. Just some fine-tuning, at this point.

Hard to believe that BFD will sync to Cubase and ADD will not.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

In cubase 9, there's no way to remove unused notes from the drum map, you can only move them to the bottom, by dragging, and you cannot drag multiple notes, can only do it one by one, it sucks.

Dunno if it's changed in 10, I haven't installed it yet. I doubt it though.

Where is the folder to store drum maps, on Mac? I have some for Cubase but can't find where they are stored. Found the MIDI loops folder in App support, but that's as close as I got... Thanks.

Bombadil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:44 pmextraneous lanes in the drum editor removed.
:dog:
I should have gone with my first supposition, that this was a problem of the lingo.
Lanes in Cubase-speak are this:
LANES.png
which funnily enough are not individually hideable.

I don't think the other thing in Drum Editor was ever possible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

macmuse wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:41 pm Where is the folder to store drum maps, on Mac? I have some for Cubase but can't find where they are stored. Found the MIDI loops folder in App support, but that's as close as I got... Thanks.

Drum maps are project specific, afaik. So, whatever drum map(s) you have made should be in the respective project folder. That is why I am building a template.

jancivil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 pm
Bombadil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:44 pmextraneous lanes in the drum editor removed.
:dog:
I should have gone with my first supposition, that this was a problem of the lingo.
Lanes in Cubase-speak are this:
LANES.png

which funnily enough are not individually hideable.

I don't think the other thing in Drum Editor was ever possible.
Yeah, lanes,I think is specific to Logic. I suppose 'row' would be a more appropriate generic term. It seems strange to me that this task is impossible in Cubase. It has had a drum editor, afaik, since its first iteration. Hard to believe that they haven't made it streamline-able in this way.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

macmuse wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:41 pm Where is the folder to store drum maps, on Mac? I have some for Cubase but can't find where they are stored. Found the MIDI loops folder in App support, but that's as close as I got... Thanks.
There is no default that I know of: create new folder. If it came with any they would either be in Library Application Support, Home library App. Support or inside Show Package Contents for the application Icon. Nada.

I've been making them for over a decade now, I have to remember where I put them last.
Battery puts theirs in their folder, Battery x/Cubase Drum Maps.

Bombadil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 8:50 pm
Drum maps are project specific, afaik. So, whatever drum map(s) you have made should be in the respective project folder. That is why I am building a template.
If all you did was create or edit one in Drum Map Setup they aren't anywhere until you save them, and you're prompted to choose where

That explains it, thank you. I had some Cubase maps from Groove Monkee for quite a few drum plugins, so now that I'm in Cubase I wanted to utilize them.

Bombadil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:19 pm First of all, I have been going back and forth with both Steinberg and XLN Audio, with no success. I am more than a little annoyed at this point.

This is what I am trying to do. ADD2 has its own map that doesn't conform to GM MIDI. The ADD map begins on C1 and goes to A#4. I want to eliminate all of the lanes up to C1 and after A#4, but I can't figure out how to do this. I've read the manual, and I've tried various menu choices, but the closest thing I can come to is just 'show lanes with notes' as long as I have notes for every articulation and cymbal mute.

'Show Drum Sounds in use by Instrument' is greyed out.

I can't believe such a simple task such as hiding unused drum lanes is impossible for such a mature DAW like Cubase.

Any ideas?
ADD is not fixed to it's default midi map. You can actually change it to GM or a number of preset maps that's included. Open the stand-alone and click on the ? button. At the very top you'll see "map window" This is where you'll find the map presets. You can create your own maps as well as choose a different velocity curve for each sound.

Thanks, yes I know. I don't see the point in using it as a GM map. I suppose I could load one of the others to see if I can modify it, but Henrik @XLN gave me a Cbase map that I expect someone configured, and works fine.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I've now set up my first template! Yay! Tomorrow, energy willing, I'll run it through a kind of real-life test to see how it holds together. Right now, the mental energy I've expended on this has left me a little drained.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I only learned of that create from instrument trick a couple months ago, so not having it is not exactly earth shattering I don't suppose.
creating one from scratch is seriously tedious tho

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”