Latency in cubase 10

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Deep breath....

This is what is happening.

The tempo of the project is set to 96bpm. I set up a drum groove, fine. I then go to play a guitar track to it. I listen to it back, and it's out of time with the drum track. I have a great audio interface, RME Fireface 802, and it's set to 64 samples, with roundtrip latency of about 4.9 ms.

So,
I go looking for delay compensation, and ended up in the aufio editor, where it says the tempo is 92.368, or something like that. Not 96 bpm. WTF? Even when I move the tempo in the editor back up to 96, it still isn't right.

Note: during recording of the guitar, I could hear myself hitting the downbeats pretty accurately. It's only upon playback where the guitar is out of sync with the drums.
Can someone please tell me how to get this right?

Thanks.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

A couple of things to know: First, in Preferences: Record/MIDI, ASIO Latency Compensation by Default.

If that is checked, look for Constrain Delay Compensation in the Project window, prob'ly all the way left, looks like a little clock.

BUT, you wouldn't tend to notice that little bit of latency. Long time since I recorded guitar in it, but I didn't have that result ever. I don't look for tempo in the audio, but that's a bit weird. It was an RME card and 32 samples, there was only audio in the project by that time.

Changing tempo in the sample editor, you need to have that quarter note icon lit up (musical mode) for tempo matching.

What does the sample editor look like compared to the drum part? is all of it consistently late or early?

I've ran into this.

The solution I've found is to always monitor the live guitar playing (or whatever) from the audio interface input mixer, rather than monitoring in Cubase; then Cubase will line up the recording correctly.

If you are using plugins for your live guitar in Cubase - do it the same way. Route your live guitar through the plugins in Cubase, then, if possible, route the guitar back into your audio interface input mixer (virtual channel, or use a cable) and monitor from the input mixer (not Cubase). Cubase should line up the recording correctly.

The audio editor you're using might be reading the tempo incorrectly because it is deriving the tempo from the number of samples contained in the file based on the sample rate, etc. - where the recording isn't a perfect measure/bar. Cubase audio pool does that somtimes,too, iirc.

I hope that helps.

jancivil wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:55 pm A couple of things to know: First, in Preferences: Record/MIDI, ASIO Latency Compensation by Default.

If that is checked, look for Constrain Delay Compensation in the Project window, prob'ly all the way left, looks like a little clock.

BUT, you wouldn't tend to notice that little bit of latency. Long time since I recorded guitar in it, but I didn't have that result ever. I don't look for tempo in the audio, but that's a bit weird. It was an RME card and 32 samples, there was only audio in the project by that time.

Changing tempo in the sample editor, you need to have that quarter note icon lit up (musical mode) for tempo matching.

What does the sample editor look like compared to the drum part? is all of it consistently late or early?
Hi Jan,

Hard to say, now. What I did was go and remove all of the insert plugins from the drum tracks, as well as the limiter and comp in the Stereo Out. That seems to have fixed the issue, but when the same thing happened in Logic, the delay I heard as I was playing. This was not the case, here. I didn't hear it being out of sync until I played it back. These are T-RackS 5 plugins, and so a little CPU hungry. With the exception of the 670 and Brickwall Limiter on the stereo out, Logic never gave me any problems. So, I just have to back off there, I guess. I'm learning a bit more everyday, but I am quite exhausted with the process now.
I'll look into the audio editor and do as you suggest. ASIO guard is set to 'high,' I think. I'm a little punchy now, lol. I'm getting there.

Again, thank you for your help! :tu:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

chilln wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:17 pm I've ran into this.

The solution I've found is to always monitor the live guitar playing (or whatever) from the audio interface input mixer, rather than monitoring in Cubase; then Cubase will line up the recording correctly.

If you are using plugins for your live guitar in Cubase - do it the same way. Route your live guitar through the plugins in Cubase, then, if possible, route the guitar back into your audio interface input mixer (virtual channel, or use a cable) and monitor from the input mixer (not Cubase). Cubase should line up the recording correctly.

The audio editor you're using might be reading the tempo incorrectly because it is deriving the tempo from the number of samples contained in the file based on the sample rate, etc. - where the recording isn't a perfect measure/bar. Cubase audio pool does that somtimes,too, iirc.

I hope that helps.
Hi,

My audio interface is <5ms latency, so I don't see that as being the problem. Recording an electric guitar part with direct monitoring is a little uninspiring. I have it going through Scuffham Amps. As I said above, the issue seems to have been too many insert plugins.

Thanks for your suggestions! :tu:
-Martin Luther King Jr.

almost certainly some variance in compensating the plugins
my experience has been, don't bother with 'Constrain _ _", it's just been bizarre. But Latency Comp. by Default should probably be on.

as to this audio editor reading the thing wrong, it's more probably the real tempo and the lag is in latency compensation being wambly or no-exist.
It's not on in default preferences. I just had Cubase not find the preferences (a total mystery at this point) and I know for 100% certainty Latency Comp. by Default is not checked when you start out. If you hadn't ticked it, this is the likely culprit in that these plugins removed appears to have solved the timing.

Sometimes things are over-compensated and land early

then it's time for
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That's how I have it setup. I've noticed other little anomalies, like one of menus has 'links-recht' instead of 'left-right.' I've got the audio editor setup right, as well.

But now I am having another weird issue with trying to bounce the midi drum track to an audio track. I did it the other day, but it ain't happening now. 3:20AM, gotta get to sleep.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Figured that one out, too. Have to remember that it's 'render in place' not 'bounce midi.'

Every day, in every way, I'm getting better, and better! :D
-Martin Luther King Jr.

After more experimenting, I think I've isolated the main culprit: a T5 limiter on the output channel, which also corresponds with my experience with Logic. I have VC-670 compressors across my drum voices as well as a reverb send on the snare, and there's no issue. Now I have to see if I can further process the kick.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”