Propellerhead Software Names Niklas Agevik as CEO

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

reggie1979 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 pm I thought I heard the prop's forum was awful?
That's probably just the version for the people who think every forum which moderates is pure dictatorship, as usual...

It's also funny how many people confuse freedom of speech and all that with coming to a place which was either privately funded, or funded by a company as a pure service for users who want to chat, discuss, or ask for help. If you want a picture to compare it with, it's as if someone came to your house, put his stinky feet on your table, discusses with you, insults you, and then claims his freedom of speech. You would probably tell him to GTFO. Or won't let him come into your house anymore. Just like PH did.

TBH, i find company forums completely redundant in most cases. Even with big companies like NI, there is much less information than on this site. And, if you really are in need of support and assistance, the support adresses of the company are a much better bet.

chk071 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:54 am
reggie1979 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 pm I thought I heard the prop's forum was awful?
That's probably just the version for the people who think every forum which moderates is pure dictatorship, as usual...
Right! Or the version for the people who think every forum which moderates is only filled with fanboys who aren't open to discuss criticism. :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

:P

You don't really have to wonder about "fanboyism", when you're not getting tired of repeating the always same things again and again, i guess. I mean, of course there'll be a lot of people liking and advocating for the software, obviously, in such forums. I've also cricitized Reason and Propellerhead here, but, that's surely a different thing to ... literally stalking them or their users.

What I've noticed from Propellerheads user interaction removal is that I don't interact with their website anymore. I haven't seen the start page for years. The only contact I have with this site is when I reinstall Reason and then need to reauthorize a computer. In that case the authorize tool leads me directly to the authorization page and then I'm done with this place.

I was not a big contributor to the forums but I skimmed over the topics from time to time and while I was there I also looked at the Props home page to see if there was anything new. Sometimes I even bought something when there was an offer of some kind. I think that I was not the only user on this trail. Well, that marketing opportunity is now lost forever.

Newsletters are no replacement for this as I stopped this service years ago when they started to flood my inbox with huge amounts of advertising crap. Maybe that's better today but I don't care anymore.

Facebook? No thanks.

So for me KVR is actually the only place I look for Reason news.

Props were rarely, if ever, in communication with their base in any capacity in the past, on forums or otherwise. More now, at least from a stand point of 'showing up' on occasion.

This whole notion that Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Twitter, [insert social media hub here], is the new thriving user base of propellerhead interaction (or most industry or products) is simply not, it pales in comparison to a populated forum on almost all levels - forums have matured to a point that the vast majority of users for any product tend to first and foremost find the appropriate forum to seek help, find answers, and become part of the 'community'. And if we had the last 5 years of continued building of the Prop forum, it would dwarf what we see today in the social media groups that blog post dev announcements, or small forum off-shoots that were created.

Here's the last few shapshots from the Archive that are available, its the only proof you'll find short of being there:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140703003 ... y.php?f=37

https://web.archive.org/web/20140703013 ... y.php?f=36

https://web.archive.org/web/20140702231 ... y.php?f=39

https://web.archive.org/web/20140703002 ... y.php?f=38

Fun to look at if nothing else, but certainly not toxic.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:14 pm Props were rarely, if ever, in communication with their base in any capacity in the past, on forums or otherwise. More now, at least from a stand point of 'showing up' on occasion.

This whole notion that Facebook, Google+, Instagram, Twitter, [insert social media hub here], is the new thriving user base of propellerhead interaction (or most industry or products) is simply not, it pales in comparison to a populated forum on almost all levels - forums have matured to a point that the vast majority of users for any product tend to first and foremost find the appropriate forum to seek help, find answers, and become part of the 'community'. And if we had the last 5 years of continued building of the Prop forum, it would dwarf what we see today in the social media groups that blog post dev announcements, or small forum off-shoots that were created.

Here's the last few shapshots from the Archive that are available, its the only proof you'll find short of being there:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140703003 ... y.php?f=37

https://web.archive.org/web/20140703013 ... y.php?f=36

https://web.archive.org/web/20140702231 ... y.php?f=39

https://web.archive.org/web/20140703002 ... y.php?f=38

Fun to look at if nothing else, but certainly not toxic.
What your web archives do not show is that for any given moment, there were less than a few hundred active users posting on those forums at any given time.

A few hundred.

And this is for a product that arguably sells tens of thousands of licenses (which it would have to in order to support the company of the size of Propellerhead).

Let that sink in again, Psuper. A few hundred.

Now, compare that to the over 148,000 subscribers to their YouTube channel, or the 113,000 followers on their Facebook page, or the 58,000 followers on their Twitter... these are modern methods that companies use to reach and communicate with their audience (read: customers).

Forums are an archaic Internet vestigial organ, that mostly old people like you and me lurk around.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

1.000 followers cost $10.

Just saying.

Benutzername wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:39 pm 1.000 followers cost $10.

Just saying.
Only if you pay for them. You can easily gain followers for free.

When you alienate your core user base and break the network to your user community, then later try and patch things with a social media workaround, you can expect to have some fallout.

They still haven't recovered from this...

Adding a new batch of iOS customers and Intro version owners isn't the same as having a loyal fan base for a decade. The limited range of their user requests and suggestions has diminish to what it's become today.

A ship with a new captain, a map to search for buried treasure and a vast ocean full of sharks...

Their core user base is alienated? That’s a new one. And judging from the amount of their followers on said platforms, they’re doing just fine.

Propellerhead suffers from great ideas and poor execution...

Rack extensions, great idea, poor execution.

1. Releasing a new SDK at v7, forcing users to upgrade from v6.5 to use the new REs.
2. Charging a surcharge to developers of 30%, forcing them to adjust their prices.
3. Requirements on the graphics, requiring expensive software and high level expertise.
4. Removing free instruments from the upgrades and charging more for them in their shop.

The same could be said for their first implementation of VST, which they rushed out a broken version that they knew would only buy them some time until they could do a proper recoding of their engine.

I wonder how many "likes" their facebooks gets? Or how many tweets get retweeted? Or how many winks or swipes the hotties of Props get? Its a super weak argument, forums are king the same today as they were then, and all that social media crap is about as interactive as watching a movie when you feel like it, with the exception that you can hit buttons to show your like or dislike of it.

And while we can certainly start up a new more detailed conversation about the differences of your new assertion concerning followers and subscribers of social media compared to active forums, I don't think we'll wanna waste our time on it, at least here.

Regardless, I've proved there there was no problem with 10x trolling problem you (and others) claim in one form or another. Perhaps the occasional jerks seemed larger than life in a relatively mature forum 5 years ago to some of you, but compared to what we see today... peanuts.
Have you tried Vital?

ictools wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:10 pm Propellerhead suffers from great ideas and poor execution...

Disagree. Their execution was fine, and they currently serve as the platform for adding any and all new devices to Reason. They work as expected, and for users you couldn't ask for a more seamless integration into the rack. It also allows any RE to run on any platform with very little work needing to be done. ;)
ictools wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:10 pm 1. Releasing a new SDK at v7, forcing users to upgrade from v6.5 to use the new REs.
Hardly a big deal. It makes complete sense that new RE SDK versions would require new versions of Reason to support new features. You have to draw a line at some point, so upgrading to the newest version makes complete sense.
ictools wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:10 pm 2. Charging a surcharge to developers of 30%, forcing them to adjust their prices.
The cost is arguably a fair cost taking into consideration what the devs are given for it (infallible license system that is 100% piracy proof, distribution, e-store front, etc). What does "forcing them to adjust to their prices" mean? :dog:
ictools wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:10 pm 3. Requirements on the graphics, requiring expensive software and high level expertise.
:lol: :lol: :lol: What does that even mean? For the devs? This is 100% not true, so please stop making shit up.
ictools wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:10 pm 4. Removing free instruments from the upgrades and charging more for them in their shop.
OK, I'll bite. What are you talking about? :o
ictools wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:10 pm The same could be said for their first implementation of VST, which they rushed out a broken version that they knew would only buy them some time until they could do a proper recoding of their engine.
I'll concede - only slightly - that the first implementation wasn't as good as it could have been, but broken? How so?

Take a guess where the idea for Rack Extensions came from?

That's right, a user on the now defunct users' forum.

And without giving that user credit... I rest my case.

ictools wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:10 pm Propellerhead suffers from great ideas and poor execution...

1. Releasing a new SDK at v7, forcing users to upgrade from v6.5 to use the new REs.
2. Charging a surcharge to developers of 30%, forcing them to adjust their prices.
3. Requirements on the graphics, requiring expensive software and high level expertise.
4. Removing free instruments from the upgrades and charging more for them in their shop.

The same could be said for their first implementation of VST, which they rushed out a broken version that they knew would only buy them some time until they could do a proper recoding of their engine.
Rack Extensions IMO was a terrible idea at least from the consumer's perspective - they are non transferrable which AFAIK is illegal in EU. The idea was - use REs because VST is really "bad, unstable and evil" and starting from Reason 9.5 - poof! All of sudden VSTs they are great again. Also the argument about the graphics is not relevant anymore which is not good IMO because some of the RE look horrible and don't really fit into the Reason look and feel (which was another argument in fovour of RE)

Edit: I'd still love to see Reason devices as VSTs mostly because of nostalgia
Last edited by 0degree on Wed May 22, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”