2%
Hate is a negative emotion I don't give into
30%

Total votes: 562

RELATED
PRODUCTS

double

gee willickers!

isn't the outcome just a reflection of the market share of the DAWs? The say 10-15% of people are unsatisfied and that gives you the numbers above?
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

FL studio... Poor controller compatibility and the mixer linking is irritating af

reaper with 250% of cubase's market share?
alrighty then

jancivil wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:48 am reaper with 250% of cubase's market share?
alrighty then
Would that be a surprise that more people have tried Reaper than Cubase?

It was just a guess and unfortunately there isn't any proper market share data I can find. But I did find this - it appears to be based on people's primary DAWs for October 2017.

Above: Ask.Audio Survey results from over 30,611 respondents.

Ableton Live - 20.52%
Logic Pro - 19.20%
Pro Tools - 16.13%
Cubase - 10.43%
FL Studio - 6.40%
Studio One - 5.71%
Reason - 4.98%
Reaper - 4.96%
Other - 4.28%
Sonar - 3.01%
GarageBand - 2.22%
Bitwig Studio - 1.22%
Digital Perfomer - 0.94%

It fails to prove my point but you would think the more a DAW has been tried by people the more people will dislike it. Perhaps people started with Reaper and moved on?
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:49 am Perhaps people started with Reaper and moved on?
People who actually START with reaper (work with it for an extended period as opposed to clicking around for a day or two) don't 'move on' :D

Funny that when you look at interviews with audio professionals (as in 'it's my day job' professionals), Reaper pops up more and more as their weapon of choice. I still have to see an interview where someone states he/she has worked with reaper for a long time but now 'moved on' to another daw :P
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

crimsonwarlock wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:24 am
ChamomileShark wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:49 am Perhaps people started with Reaper and moved on?
People who actually START with reaper (work with it for an extended period as opposed to clicking around for a day or two) don't 'move on' :D

Funny that when you look at interviews with audio professionals (as in 'it's my day job' professionals), Reaper pops up more and more as their weapon of choice. I still have to see an interview where someone states he/she has worked with reaper for a long time but now 'moved on' to another daw :P
I moved on but it was mainly the headache of the routing that more annoyed me. Couldn't route the compressor at all even following guides.
That and the piano roll is .... :hihi: just hope you don't need to use it for anything.

Now I will give it this, if you use a ton of virtual synths, it is the best DAW for hosting since it runs them through unicorn tears and magical black holes to get that low cpu usage.

EDIT: Decided to open Reaper just to mess around... Correction, the piano roll isn't all that bad, though still a little fiddly.
Might actually be a great alternative for trance :party:
Last edited by MuzikFreq on Thu May 23, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Does 6 months count as an extended period? 'Cause I 'moved on'
Signatures are so early 2000s.

hmmmm, while I never started with REAPER, I started using it in 2007/2008, in September 2015 I tried out Studio One 3 Pro, haven't looked back since. I still keep REAPER updated, and will renew when my license expires on the release of v6, but I never really use it, and can't see me wanting to use in the foreseeable future. I personally know quite a number of people who have switched from REAPER to other DAW's, and even more who have zero interest in REAPER after putting it through it's paces (yes, more than just clicking around for a day or 2) Some people like vanilla, some prefer chocolate, who really cares, as long as you are happy with what you use and it does everything you need it to do to your satisfaction, who gives a rats about what others use or think. (Well . . . except for Cakewalk, there's a certain Psychosis at play there with those who use it, all 27 of them, but that's another story ) :wink:
Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 am
hmmmm, while I never started with REAPER, I started using it in 2007/2008, in September 2015 I tried out Studio One 3 Pro, haven't looked back since. I still keep REAPER updated, and will renew when my license expires on the release of v6, but I never really use it, and can't see me wanting to use in the foreseeable future. I personally know quite a number of people who have switched from REAPER to other DAW's, and even more who have zero interest in REAPER after putting it through it's paces (yes, more than just clicking around for a day or 2) Some people like vanilla, some prefer chocolate, who really cares, as long as you are happy with what you use and it does everything you need it to do to your satisfaction, who gives a rats about what others use or think. (Well . . . except for Cakewalk, there's a certain Psychosis at play there with those who use it, all 27 of them, but that's another story ) :wink:
LMAO that last bit. Totally agree

MuzikFreq wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:05 am I moved on but it was mainly the headache of the routing that more annoyed me. Couldn't route the compressor at all even following guides
Funny that, because it is pretty much an accepted fact that reaper is superiour to everything else on the market in regard of its routing capabilities. It is the most stated reason for choosing reaper among the professionals that use it.
Kongru wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 am Does 6 months count as an extended period? 'Cause I 'moved on'
That depends largely on what you did with it during those six months :D
jinotsuh wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 am ... and even more who have zero interest in REAPER after putting it through it's paces (yes, more than just clicking around for a day or 2)
Putting it through its paces is not 'working with it'. When you work long enough with any DAW to become fluid in using it, there has to be a serious reason to move away from it. I will even say that people that are DAW-hopping every few months or even years, are not really doing serious stuff at the level where you have to get deeply involved with the functionality of your tools. And throwing notes and chords into a MIDI editor and slapping a bunch of compressors on it is definitely not 'serious use of functionality' :D

So I still have to see someone who has invested a serious period (meaning years) in using reaper and building/tuning the workflow, who then moved to another DAW, because from the perspective if deep functionality there is absolutely nothing that comes close to reaper.

I just found that in Ableton you need a second track just to put an arpeggiator in front of a virtual instrument which completely blew my mind, and not in a possitive way.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

crimsonwarlock wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:09 am
MuzikFreq wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:05 am I moved on but it was mainly the headache of the routing that more annoyed me. Couldn't route the compressor at all even following guides
Funny that, because it is pretty much an accepted fact that reaper is superiour to everything else on the market in regard of its routing capabilities. It is the most stated reason for choosing reaper among the professionals that use it.
Kongru wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:08 am Does 6 months count as an extended period? 'Cause I 'moved on'
That depends largely on what you did with it during those six months :D
jinotsuh wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:10 am ... and even more who have zero interest in REAPER after putting it through it's paces (yes, more than just clicking around for a day or 2)
Putting it through its paces is not 'working with it'. When you work long enough with any DAW to become fluid in using it, there has to be a serious reason to move away from it. I will even say that people that are DAW-hopping every few months or even years, are not really doing serious stuff at the level where you have to get deeply involved with the functionality of your tools. And throwing notes and chords into a MIDI editor and slapping a bunch of compressors on it is definitely not 'serious use of functionality' :D

So I still have to see someone who has invested a serious period (meaning years) in using reaper and building/tuning the workflow, who then moved to another DAW, because from the perspective if deep functionality there is absolutely nothing that comes close to reaper.

I just found that in Ableton you need a second track just to put an arpeggiator in front of a virtual instrument which completely blew my mind, and not in a possitive way.
I'll admit. I know I am wrong and that it's really good with it but wrapping my head around how to do it is another story. :lol: I'm a simpleton.

MuzikFreq wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:11 am I'll admit. I know I am wrong and that it's really good with it but wrapping my head around how to do it is another story. :lol: I'm a simpleton.
I totally agree that, because of the deep functionality reaper can be daunting to get into. It certainly takes (a lot of) time and effort. However, for me, the 'simpler' DAWs don't work because they get in my way when I try to do things they simply can't do or only in some idiotic or ancient way.... like the Ableton thing. It's the main reason I moved away from Orion (which I still regard as a great virtual studio) back then because the things it could not or barely do, started to stack up quite fast the longer I worked with it.

2007/2008 to 2015, 7 or 8 years, yeah I guess your right, I never gave it enough time :D

The only opinion some people will accept is REAPER is the best, that's fine, it's also fine that I don't agree with that, whatever.
Say NO to CLAP!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”