Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

FathomSynth wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:06 pmOr another way to ask the same question, what is so special about uhe's method that prevents the user from just being able to plop the license file on another machine?
Nothing prevents the user from just reusing the license on another machine.

I think u-he spends a lot of time monitoring cracked releases and blacklisting leaked license keys in new releases of their synths. (Not quite blacklisting - they have found it more lucrative to have the leaked license keys activate time bombs instead.)
Last edited by DrMEM on Thu May 23, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, sounds like u-he has a really well thought out system.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:11 pm As fast as you update hacking would be a full time job.

I have also heard rumor that Uhe had time bombs, where sooner or later your hacked copy would hiccup or stop. Neither of which a serious musician/ produce needs.
I recall reading where a dev could discover a hack and it's creator,
and then access the hackers desktop graphics, and modify them
in a way not very delightful to the hacker :-o :dog: :bang: :x
I think it was implemented occasionally, and served it's purpose
in short order. :hihi:

I think our goal is to avoid the hackers, not piss them off!

Despite my objections to what they do, I'm not eager to make enemies with any of them.

Although, Fathom's LCM is so weak I don't think any of them would consider it worth their time, no challenge, too boring.

By the way, I forgot to mention this earlier, but if any one here is using a friend's Fathom license, now would be an excellent time to buy it, since our survival over the next six months might really depend on it. I know you think you are the only one, but if there are a thousand of you, it could really make a huge difference.

Yes, this also applies to you Fathom Mono users, who use Fathom Mono as your prime lead synth, but have been putting of buying to see if we are serious about Fathom or not. Ask around here, we are!

With yesterday's decision to stay away from complex LCM I'm basically betting the whole ship on people's honesty.

FathomSynth wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:15 pm The comment was made that my policy of going to this thread before making important business decisions means that we do not have a clear business plan or clear vision for Fathom.

This is absolutely not the case. I have an extremely clear road map for Fathom extending far into the future for at least 5 or 10 years, all laid out with features and our ultimate dominance in small areas of the plugin market.

I always make these decision myself ultimately even if users disagree, and it is done based on my plan, ultimately not on forum votes, so there is no waffling here based on user input.

The reason I go to this thread before making a big decision is to avoid making a big mistakes, one which might technically seem like a good idea, but would be bad idea from the perspective of the overall community.

At the risk of sounding like a total fan-boi, which I am, I love the way you interact with your user base, and try to make changes that reflect the community's desires! Listening to the community is a wonderful facet of your business model, IMO. Even if listening to everyone means hearing every possible POV, which can be confounding, I'm sure.

I haven't even had the time to install the last few updates, but I will keep buying update licenses in order to help support your efforts, because I believe in your manner of development!

I can't add anything to the licensing discussion, because it's all over my head, other than to say I agree with the masses that say U-He does a fine job of it.

Like you, I enjoy hearing others' opinions about my art and music, especially the detractors. I may or may not apply any suggestions offered, but I appreciate hearing others' POV, and I find they see/hear things that were blind to me - like a good proofreader/art director/producer. I don't "need" their ideas, I can make decisions with the best of 'em! But we can always learn more from listening, than speaking, etc., etc..

All the best!!!

Thanks, that means a lot.

Incidentally, definitely download 2.31, it has some critical fixes, and don't feel obligated to buy it, just download the free one, the purchase update is only there because some people asked for it.

Fathom and U-he never get in the way of the music.
There are other devs whose products rarely get in the way.
Then there are products that even just seeing their icon
makes you feel like you're dancing on eggshells when wearing work boots.
The first two will be :hyper: $ prioritized $ :hyper:

The eggshells club, not so much :dog:

FathomSynth wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:22 am Thanks, that means a lot.

Incidentally, definitely download 2.31, it has some critical fixes, and don't feel obligated to buy it, just download the free one, the purchase update is only there because some people asked for it.

I intend to make some time this week to (I was going to say "crack it open" but that doesn't sound right!) explore this exciting beast further, and checkout the many facets that have advanced since my last look.

And congrats on the CM cover - pretty cool!!!

Yes, CM has been very good to us.

It's really been incredible, Fathom on the front cover of one issue, and a series of three tutorials in three consecutive issues, pretty cool.

glokraw wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:28 am ...Then there are products that even just seeing their icon
makes you feel like you're dancing on eggshells when wearing work boots...

No kidding! It's like, "Will it it launch this time!? I hope it will open this time!!!?"

And BTW, slow death to all USB only licenses!

FathomSynth wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:57 pm There's also something very different about Omnisphere's basic sound engine at very high frequency, it's incredibly smooth.
Could note on/off, velocity, and channel pressure be used to detect
when a sweeping filter or envelope should trigger, as pitch/frequencies rise?

Are the Omni sounds identicle when played by qwerty keys,
lacking all i/o sensitivity?
(I'm no coder, but am curious as George :wink: )
Last edited by glokraw on Thu May 23, 2019 2:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

I could be tempted by a boxed swag set, with
a black/deep-blue T-shirt with Fathom logo front and back,
perhaps each logo on a graphic backdrop of your local
or favorite seaweed. With matching hat, dark or white,
and of course, a similarly decorated mug/stein.
Somewhere around $60, with preorders to set things in action?

Fathom T Shirts is not a bad idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Around here at least, I think the whole word from the synth
would stir the pot a bit less. Probably perfect as-is
for other product lines. :ud:

As a user for a long time I swapped from thinking “I pay for the software” to “I pay for the service”. The main problem mentioned in the thread was leaking serials. No user who payed for the software will give away the serial, knowing she would be blocked from future updates (the service). The leaked serials had been bought with stolen credit cards... It simply is no problem to be able to move a license from one computer to another, its a crucial feature which needs to be part of the software...
Another advice from that thread:
Vertion wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:54 am V's 10 Golden Rules of Copy Protection

1. You create your cracker.
The better the copy protection mechanism, the better your cracker will be. Standard serial is okay.

2. Evolve faster than the cracker.
Focus on evolving your software, not copy protection.

3. Polymorphic compilation
Use header macros and hash the user identifier to compile a unique codebase for every customer.

4. Update weekly
Add new features every week, even tiny ones. Make these changes visible and beautiful for the user to see.

5. Crack your own code
Write your own cracks for (only) your own software and release. Design your software to extend on a flag being set given by a secondary program as a means for potential customers to further invest more time into your product.

6. Incomplete Demo
Keep 2 compilations, the demo has missing code from it's codebase, also should be a different codebase shape than the full version (no copy/paste in asm). This can also be used for early releasing.

7. Conserve Energy
Copy protection should require the least energy. Focus on your product and the features. No one will want to crack your software if it stinks.

8. Do not punish with Dongles
This will build negative reputation and hedging among your customers. Avoid.

9. Do not punish with Online Requirement or Downloaders
Customers have no idea how long your company or product will be available. If the means to validate online are unavailable, it will be a major disgrace to your company and it's products. Highly inadvisable.

10. Be The Jewel
The ideal plugin is small and dedicated to what it does best. It sits in a zip file until it is ready to be placed in the appropriate directory. It needs only the serial it came with. In 100 years, we can still use it and feel joy in your wonderful product that stood the test of time, and now you are a legend.

:tu:

Return to “Instruments”