any future for MacBooks in music production ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:37 am Meanwhile, on the sunny side of the street, my humble Core i5 doesn't even have a fan and only gets warm when I am rendering things out of my host. In normal playback it runs cool as a cucumber.
Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pmAll USB devices also work smoothly using the adapter cables sold by Apple.
And would no doubt work equally well with much cheaper cables from eBay. I get mine made-to-order from China for around $3 each, via eBay. I've got USB cables from 0.3m to 3m with a mix of straight and angled connectors that perfectly fit all my outboard gear.
All my extern SSD and gear already came with usb-c cables. So it depends of what you use.
Only thing i really miss is the mag-safe.

Cinebient wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:33 pm
jancivil wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 pm My 6-core is 2.9gHz. there appears to be no 8-core of that clock speed
Does it ever reach the 2.9 even for more than a few seconds?
Not sure about all the thermal throttle dramas i read about. Real or not?
In some tests the i7 was even better.
I think a new generation might be as good with less GHz and also might not suffer as much from thermal throttle. I don‘t know.
But the 8-core could be interesting since multi-core is more important for me.
My i9 MBP while I had it would happily run at 4Ghz and 97 degrees for minutes. That was what was so alarming to me. Not going to last long at those temperatures.

My needs are for virtual modulars though which put high sustained loads on processors, more like rendering than normal musical tasks.

YMMV.

BONES wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:37 am Meanwhile, on the sunny side of the street, my humble Core i5 doesn't even have a fan and only gets warm when I am rendering things out of my host. In normal playback it runs cool as a cucumber.
Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pmAll USB devices also work smoothly using the adapter cables sold by Apple.
And would no doubt work equally well with much cheaper cables from eBay. I get mine made-to-order from China for around $3 each, via eBay. I've got USB cables from 0.3m to 3m with a mix of straight and angled connectors that perfectly fit all my outboard gear.
I wasn't trying to advertise Apple adapters, just mentioned what I use. I've bought cheap computer assets on amazon/ Ebay before and often the gear was crap, like a 4TB backup drive which died after 2 months or a new acu for a Macbook which died after 2 weeks, so I rather spend more for reliable gear.

I buy 99% of that kind of thing on eBay and I rarely have any issues. You just have to use a bit of discretion - if something is 90% cheaper than you can buy it in a shop, then it's probably dodgy but if it's a reasonable price, it will be at least the same quality you'd buy from an Apple Store. Like I said, the seller I get my USB cables from makes them to order and they are really good. I still use USB cables I bought on eBay more than 10 years ago and they still work fine because I prioritised quality over price when I bought them.

The big advantage I find with eBay is choice - I can get exactly what I need, not just something that will do the job. Mostly that comes down to cable length, there is nothing more annoying than having cables looping off my keyboard stand on stage. It looks bad and things can get caught up and pull bits and pieces down when I am concentrating on other things.
Cinebient wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:36 pmAll my extern SSD and gear already came with usb-c cables. So it depends of what you use.
So you bought a brand new I/O that supports Type C? Or do you not have any external I/O? My laptop has both Type A and Type C so I don't really have to think about it. That said, 99% of USB I/O devices are only USB 2.x, certainly the dozen or so hardware devices I own are, so I only use my Type C port with an adapter, either for HDMI to my TV or to Type A for something else. USB Type C to Type B cables are really hard to find, too, and the other end of everything is either Type B or microUSB.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Well, I had a shitty probably chinese cable for an external hard drive that I think made the life of that drive _very_ short by disconnecting - a bad ejection as far as the OS is concerned - every time I had a muscle twitch or looked at it wrong. That's not where I would cheap out moving forward. The connection to the hub with a better cable is fine.
Last edited by jancivil on Fri May 24, 2019 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

I tend to doubt my use pushes one core very hard very often. With a whole lot going on at the same time Cubase 10 is doing 73%, whatever that indicates.
VE Pro is over 400% throughout which would seem to mean it's distributing to cores. It doesn't get all that hot, is about all I know. Sometimes I put a kimono over my bare legs, but that can be just using the internet. I'm not getting blisters. It runs cooler than any MBP I've had, any of the 5.

On the non-Apple gear, I once bought a third party PSU, given the humungous price of Apple ones.

That was practically a fire risk, it got so hot, not just the unit but the cable and connector too. When plugged in it caused a low level hiss and distortion on my headphones.

On the other hand I just got cheap Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI/VGA adapter on Amazon which cost about 80% less than the Apple one and it works just fine, looks very handmade though.

Hi, just throwing this out there. Is anyone using a Macbook Air i7 for music production? Any thoughts?
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

I rendered a 2:36 {3840x2160} video yesterday in DaVinci Resolve in 1:20. I saw it was done and said there's got to be something misfired here. Yeah, no, it was fine. There were FX rendered, it wasn't much of an event but it did have to deal with one or two things. Would have taken an hour before.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:07 pm What model did you get?
MBP 15 inch (2018) - 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i9 (6 cores) - 16 GB RAM - Intel UHD Graphics 630 1546 MB - 512 GB SSD - 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports.

and a Universal Audio Arrow audio interface which has Thunderbolt 3/USB-C, it just needed a firmware update and now it runs smooth, no audio glitches so far after about an hour of constant testing.

All USB devices also work smoothly using the adapter cables sold by Apple.
Did you migrate from PC?

No, from a former MBP, migration was super smooth.

Nope, everything apple SUX..... So send any & all existing macintosh hardware to

Hooj Inc.
8880 E. Boca DelMar Suite 2100
Way-Out-West, FL 33433

My 2016 Macbook Pro, which I paid $3500 for is now suffering from the "flexgate" issues. If you haven't heard about flexgate, check it out on YouTube.

It won't be long now until my screen dies completely.

I will NEVER own another Mac, as I've had a host of issues with this machine from the start, and now this.

I'm looking at Core i7 pc laptops in the $1000-$1200 price range.

I will NEVER again pay crazy money for a computer. I already hated my MBP BEFORE the flexgate issues popped up last week. There is just so much wrong with these machines.

They repair it for free though.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”