Reason 10.4 out

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Monotone Pro Expansion (Monotone Presets) Reason 12

kmonkey wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:01 pm
Noel G. wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:46 pm I don't understand why any new Ph drum ROMpler wouldn't include sampling and sample loading. This should be a standard feature IMHO.
I am guessing and my understanding is that reason for that is that latest two additions are primarily mobile focused. I mean they were released for mobile platform. Like for people on mobile phones etc. But if you want to go big, you can open/translate/migrate these Reason mobile session on full blown DAW (Reason in this case).

In that case i don't really see many people attaching their phones on computers, then translating like crazy their sample libraries, and then loading thousands of samples on the phone/mobile itself seems like an overkill to me (that's just me of course).

That's how i see it.
Understood, however this doesn't negate the fact that these devices should include sampling and sample loading in Reason, so users can expand on their mobile sessions using their desktop sample library. Another feature request is to have any new samples loaded into the drum machine included when sending the Reason project back to the mobile device.
ImageImageImage

Noel G. wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:46 pmUnderstood, however this doesn't negate the fact that these devices should include sampling and sample loading in Reason, so users can expand on their mobile sessions using their desktop sample library. Another feature request is to have any new samples loaded into the drum machine included when sending the Reason project back to the mobile device.
The idea is, if you want to take the sound that you've programmed in Compact further, you open the project in desktop Reason with Europa, Monotone and Rytmik and then can swap them out with other synths, drum machines and samplers, incl. VSTs. No point in adding additional devices copying the features we already have in Redrum/Kong/Umpf.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:51 pm No point in adding additional devices copying the features we already have in Redrum/Kong/Umpf.
I agree, except for the need to sample on the mobile/Compact versions. This is absolutely paramount, IMHO. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:59 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:51 pm No point in adding additional devices copying the features we already have in Redrum/Kong/Umpf.
I agree, except for the need to sample on the mobile/Compact versions. This is absolutely paramount, IMHO. ;)
Sure, if that was added to Compact I'm sure the desktop versions would follow.

But I don't think that's Props goal - their idea seems to be to provide a tool for capturing an idea when you're stuck in a traffic jam or waiting in line at the grocery store. They WANT you to buy full Reason to develop the idea further, that's why you get Reason Lite and that's why even that version got the new instruments.

Which actually makes me hopeful they'll not neglect Reason, which I feared reading that the new CEO will...
...take the company on an expansion journey where we reach new target groups while cultivating the core business of high‐quality software applications for music creators.
I wasn't very keen on the whole "cultivating" thing, as opposed to more pro-active words like "expand", "develop", etc.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm Which actually makes me hopeful they'll not neglect Reason, which I feared reading that the new CEO will...
...take the company on an expansion journey where we reach new target groups while cultivating the core business of high‐quality software applications for music creators.
I wasn't very keen on the whole "cultivating" thing, as opposed to more pro-active words like "expand", "develop", etc.
Well, what we are seeing right now with Reason and with mobile in Reason Compact was done by Ernst and the "old guard" (with probably some input from Verdane at the board meetings). These things are typically drawn out 18 months in advance at least.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Agreed, but if Ph (or any other dev) develops a new device "copying the features we already have in Redrum/Kong/Umpf" then by all means that new device should include sampling and sample loading.
ImageImageImage

EnochLight wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:16 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm Which actually makes me hopeful they'll not neglect Reason, which I feared reading that the new CEO will...
Well, what we are seeing right now with Reason and with mobile in Reason Compact was done by Ernst and the "old guard" (with probably some input from Verdane at the board meetings). These things are typically drawn out 18 months in advance at least.
So you're saying we are going to see change in direction now? I doubt it. As corporate takeovers go, the new trajectory is being implemented from day one - in this case push for mobile - and certain important people are - temporarily! - left on their posts to ensure smooth transition and give (illusion of) comfort to existing users. I'm certain CEO swap was planned from the beginning, so I don't think Compact was Ernst's idea nor that the new guy will steer the ship elsewhere...
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:47 pm I'm certain CEO swap was planned from the beginning, so I don't think Compact was Ernst's idea nor that the new guy will steer the ship elsewhere...
They were recruiting mobile developers long before Verdane entered the equation. I'm quite certain Reason Compact has long been planned.

antic604 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm
They WANT you to buy full Reason to develop the idea further, that's why you get Reason Lite and that's why even that version got the new instruments.
In sales and marketing terms, they call that up selling. They've had this iOS, singer/songwriter and recruiting newbies to music making direction for over 5 years now. They've steered away from what their core user community was all about. The hardware, cv and modular geeks, remember why you bought Reason? The cables, the different sound design aspects and the walled garden filled with unique sounds.

They've clearly lost their way, trying to appease everyone and go after all the saturated places in the market. Audio interface, 3rd party plugins, iOS apps, collaboration site, etc. Instead of remaining focused on who their true user community is and pushing that forward. They've lost their identity and have become just another DAW option.

The solution, bring the cables forward. This would require a total overhaul of their interface and the interaction between devices, but the infinite possibilities would be a tweaker's paradise. The appeal of a fully modular DAW would clearly define who and what Reason was and is all about.

If you want just another DAW go pick one of the 10 vanilla flavors already available.

#BringTheCablesForward

ictools wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:53 pm bring the cables forward.
I rarely agree with most things you say, but this is something most of us have wanted since 1.0. Hell yes #BringTheCablesForward
ictools wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:53 pm This would require a total overhaul of their interface and the interaction between devices,
No, it really wouldn't.

What a mess that would be! No I like it the way it is (unless I'm misunderstanding what you want)

reggie1979 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:16 pm What a mess that would be! No I like it the way it is (unless I'm misunderstanding what you want)
Well, it would be a mess graphically if you used it as intended, but why limit those who want the feature?

ictools wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:17 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm
They WANT you to buy full Reason to develop the idea further, that's why you get Reason Lite and that's why even that version got the new instruments.
In sales and marketing terms, they call that up selling. They've had this iOS, singer/songwriter and recruiting newbies to music making direction for over 5 years now. They've steered away from what their core user community was all about. The hardware, cv and modular geeks, remember why you bought Reason? The cables, the different sound design aspects and the walled garden filled with unique sounds.

They've clearly lost their way, trying to appease everyone and go after all the saturated places in the market. Audio interface, 3rd party plugins, iOS apps, collaboration site, etc. Instead of remaining focused on who their true user community is and pushing that forward. They've lost their identity and have become just another DAW option.
Your first paragraph is mostly correct. From my standpoint as a core Reason user, all that other stuff is useless to me, especially mobile crap. Plus I can't stand Apple, which is about 20% of the mobile market at best (another dumb move). You get the idea -- mobile 'anything' is a waste of time. Mobile apps are a way for companies who have flagship products to supplement their income, and sometimes surpass it. So I don't blame Propellerhead if they wanna explore those options, and obviously there's people who will buy it.

Propellerhead never steered away from their rack or devices though. They should have focused more on the DAW aspect, instead of adding devices as their major feature per release -- they would have better served their core Reason customers and RE developers doing what I outlined in my signature.
Last edited by Psuper on Fri May 24, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have you tried Vital?

EnochLight wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:20 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:16 pm What a mess that would be! No I like it the way it is (unless I'm misunderstanding what you want)
Well, it would be a mess graphically if you used it as intended, but why limit those who want the feature?
Because this is a forum, and in forums you must be opposed to others dreams and desires. Did you not read the rules?

:hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”