Spire Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Elektro Synth 1.5 Spire Presets Spire

yul wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:42 am Anyone be so kind as to explain the appeal of this synth? I have the demo..sure some sounds are cool but overall I jut don't get it compared to many other digital synths out there. What's with these violin etc waveforms really? Thanks
It sounds great. :shrug: Sort of hits the sweet spot for me, think Virus, but, more hi-fi.

I somehow don't get why people are so reluctant to go for that Plugin Boutique deal, but prefer to pay full price in installments. If you buy it on JRRShop, you even get a bigger discount by using a coupon code (i think it was "forum", or "group"). Really, that's as good as it gets, for a very nice synth.

yul wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:42 am Anyone be so kind as to explain the appeal of this synth? I have the demo..sure some sounds are cool but overall I jut don't get it compared to many other digital synths out there.
I don't get it either. I really want to like Spire which is why I've tried the demo so many times but it just leaves me wondering why the love. There is just nothing about the sound I find particularly appealing especially when compared to other synths in my folder. It's not a bad synth just not something that makes me go "wow". :?

Oh well it just goes to show how widely tastes can vary from person to person. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Considering that you like Dune's sound, and i dislike it, i'd think it fits perfectly. :D

Even though you like other synths that i like as well. Oh well... guess you can't make a rule of it. ;)

I think it strikes a nice balance between analog and digital sound.

Also
- effects are very musical
- nearly everything can be modulated
- very conducive to knob twiddling to get new sounds
- lots of oscillator modes and manipulation options
- great sounding filters
- flexible stepper

However Dune3 sounds great too .. hence why I constantly lament the lack of spite development. There really needs to be a spire 2.

Teksonik wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 12:08 pm
yul wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 3:42 am Anyone be so kind as to explain the appeal of this synth? I have the demo..sure some sounds are cool but overall I jut don't get it compared to many other digital synths out there.
I don't get it either. I really want to like Spire which is why I've tried the demo so many times but it just leaves me wondering why the love. There is just nothing about the sound I find particularly appealing especially when compared to other synths in my folder. It's not a bad synth just not something that makes me go "wow". :?

Oh well it just goes to show how widely tastes can vary from person to person. :shrug:
Indeed, it's a taste thing. Purely objectively though Spire is an extremely capable synth. It's especially capable in all of the small nuances. You can get the envelopes to sound pretty much exactly as one wants. It has potential for extensive modulation routing and more importantly, routing that can make sounds very playable from a keyboard (meaning you modulate modulators through a combined matrix).

It even sounds good, objectively (low aliasing) and subjectively too.. every single one of the filter modes are awesome and very distinctive.

So yeah, in this type of category (Virus wannabe / complex yet not too far out there VA) purely on paper it's a pretty damn impressive synth. Frankly, I'm always surprised when somebody implies the opposite.

It's probably one of the better deals as I think I paid like 49 euros for it when it was released publicly for the first time. Or was it 59? I don't know.. but it's been a ridiculously good investment. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

59 i think. I didn't go for it, back then, because i was a bit sceptical, but, that turned out to be wrong. I got it with a Beat mag subscription later, where i paid the cost of the 1 year subscription, and got Spire on top of that, great deal. :)

generaldiomedes wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:10 pm However Dune3 sounds great too .. hence why I constantly lament the lack of spite development. There really needs to be a spire 2.
I don't get that. Here are the Spire changelogs, if you want to take a look for yourself, about the "lack of development". https://reveal-sound.com/content/changelog.php?spire

Yeah, I bought Spire when it was "just a pretty capable VA synth with great sound".. and now it's a complete monster when compared to it's original release.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

I'd be damned if they wouldn't go for a more polished feature set, and layout, with Spire 2. Spire always seemed a bit unfinished, or a bit all over the place, because the devs added functionality, or left space for functionality they wanted to implement.

e@rs wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:51 amI like its in your face sound
I think we must have very different ideas about what "in your face" means because when I demo'd Spire it was the lack of that which put me off it. It seemed very clean and a bit tame to me. Far too nice. Too many tabs for me, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I like it, but it's all a matter of taste so...it's up to you of course.
Some people like Dune 1/2/3 better, or Sylenth1, etc.
Here's a preset I made with Spire with no external effects:

https://soundcloud.com/examigan/spire-pad

chk071 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 11:36 am I somehow don't get why people are so reluctant to go for that Plugin Boutique deal, but prefer to pay full price in installments. If you buy it on JRRShop, you even get a bigger discount by using a coupon code (i think it was "forum", or "group"). Really, that's as good as it gets, for a very nice synth.
Speculating, but majority of today's market are hobbyists, monthly budget is tight, there's not much time for music, Spire is just another synth and probably wan't be used that much, so in that occasions it kinda make sense to pay like 10 pops a month every time you actually wish to use it, have some old project to come back to, have some collaboration and just wish to use it for that and who knows when again and etc.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:55 pm Spire is just another synth and probably wan't be used that much
In that case, i'd say, just pass on it. Your loss. :P

I just wonder what those peeps have done before Splice was existant. And what they do with all the other synths which aren't on Splice, because, the vast majority isn't. There's very, very few soft synths available as rent-to-own. You know, i think it's a nice system, but, if you only want to rent plugins, but not own them anyway, maybe even a subscription system would do. Or... if you think that it's "just another synth", and you won't use it much, even, just use free stuff.

Since some of you were talking about a few different synths here, I checked the pricing:

Dune 3 is $177.23

Spire is (at the moment) $129

Synthmaster 2 (Factory version)
is on sale for $79 at the moment

Return to “Instruments”