Studio One Pro 4.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Those guys who say that S1 misses some important midi features and cant compose without them...can you please name few of those midi options/possibilites that are such important?

HcDoom wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:47 pm Those guys who say that S1 misses some important midi features and cant compose without them...can you please name few of those midi options/possibilites that are such important?
Sure, but let's be clear, you said "can't compose without them" not me, or anyone else in this thread. But since you asked:

1. No polyphonic aftertouch - just does not exist/work (try using an e-drum kit with S1 and do a cymbal choke)
2. No Sysex support - just does not exist/work
3. No External Instrument for interfacing hardware synths with Studio One (think Pipeline but for instruments)
4. No MPE support (sure you can workaround that with 16 separate MIDI tracks, but good luck editing that performance)
5. No 14-bit MIDI controller support - just does not exist/work
6. No smart tool for MIDI editing like we have for audio
7. No MIDI input transformer (ever need to convert one CC to another or filter MIDI, etcl.?) - just does not exist
8. No staff editor - would sure be handy for those of us who prefer to read/write notation in some instances without having to rewire in a separate instance of Notion
9. No MTC (MIDI Time Code) support - not one I really need, but if you do, you ain't using Studio One for it

That's just off the top of my head. That doesn't include the fact that you can't transpose in the Pattern Editor, or set a default velocity in the Drum Editor, or preview the new MIDI funcitons that were just added, etc., all of which would help out with MIDI-based workflows.

Presonus's approach is like going to a cake factory, where they sit and pick up cupcakes made from a batch of ingredients that are made for a specific company. Some cakes are eaten whole, some are just half eaten, and some are just nibbled. It's the half eaten and nibbled one's that causes problems. You have to keep calling them back to finish those before they walk out the door, because they are no use to anyone and will eventually sucomb to mould if left as they are. Presonus do listen, but you need to be persistent with them so they finish what they started. Presonus probably has a similar thing as the circle of fifths when it comes to DAWs... a rotation cycle of them where focus is spent on R&D, aspects written down, an approximation of the development and testing time and the date of the milestones they are expected to reach. I remember when I was at Uni, where I had to have all those milestones planned out on paper and delivered by a certain date before I was even granted to go ahead to start development, research, testing, graphic design, animations, website coding for my sisters business consulting company back in 2008.. so I imagine it's not too dissimilar...

Essentially, if something can be fitted in without too much effort, there's a good chance of it appearing in an incremental update, and there must be over 1000 things from looking at those release notes. For me and I've been wanting this for the past 5 years among a few other important things, was to have a filmstrip and some basic filmstrip editing tools added, cutting ect.. Will there be a 4.6..4.7....till version 5.0, that includes a few more Pro Tools things in the pipeline that didn't make it.. who knows...
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

In defense of Presonus:

They already did a very good job... featurewise they already came a long way and it´s very hard to compete with others who had 20 years more time to develop their stuff...
The latest update prove that they try to improve step by step every aspect of the whole DAW but not everything can be done at the same time and similar to Bitwig I mostly agree with their roadmap...

Presonus and Bitwig were in the last years the most innovative developers on the market with very cool new features and ideas...
The lack of midi "tools/features" mentioned above I have to rate on a very low priority as this is very special stuff which for sure doesn´t affect the broad majority of S1 users...

In general it seems they speed up their developing pace more and more as from V1 to V4 the periods were cut inhalf from version to version... so keep up good work...
There is of course still room for improvement but this is true for every product...

Trancit wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:02 pm In defense of Presonus:

They already did a very good job... featurewise they already came a long way and it´s very hard to compete with others who had 20 years more time to develop their stuff...
The latest update prove that they try to improve step by step every aspect of the whole DAW but not everything can be done at the same time and similar to Bitwig I mostly agree with their roadmap...
I wished that that kind of mentality was more common. :)

Just wanted to post a picture of the (small) Presonus software team to prove my point, but, seems like the site is down...

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:58 pm
HcDoom wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:47 pm Those guys who say that S1 misses some important midi features and cant compose without them...can you please name few of those midi options/possibilites that are such important?
Sure, but let's be clear, you said "can't compose without them" not me, or anyone else in this thread. But since you asked:

1. No polyphonic aftertouch - just does not exist/work (try using an e-drum kit with S1 and do a cymbal choke)
2. No Sysex support - just does not exist/work
3. No External Instrument for interfacing hardware synths with Studio One (think Pipeline but for instruments)
4. No MPE support (sure you can workaround that with 16 separate MIDI tracks, but good luck editing that performance)
5. No 14-bit MIDI controller support - just does not exist/work
6. No smart tool for MIDI editing like we have for audio
7. No MIDI input transformer (ever need to convert one CC to another or filter MIDI, etcl.?) - just does not exist
8. No staff editor - would sure be handy for those of us who prefer to read/write notation in some instances without having to rewire in a separate instance of Notion
9. No MTC (MIDI Time Code) support - not one I really need, but if you do, you ain't using Studio One for it

That's just off the top of my head. That doesn't include the fact that you can't transpose in the Pattern Editor, or set a default velocity in the Drum Editor, or preview the new MIDI funcitons that were just added, etc., all of which would help out with MIDI-based workflows.
Those are very good points indeed. I think support for MPE, external instruments and high midi are the most important for many who use such devices. Actually, I have my Casio keyboard supporting high midi which is great for a better resolution of course, I would be happy to use such feature ( I think only Pianoteq supports that for now, but not sure if there are others).

I like Notion for staff editing. It would be great if they merge it all in inside S1, but I doubt it. Anyway, I don't think there is a perfect DAW that has every spec out there, so just pick the one more suitable for the job and try to fill the gaps ;)

ictools wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:03 pm It basically breaks down to three types of "musicians/producers".

1. Those who play music and record it.
2. Those who paint music and edit it.
3. And the combination of the two.

Studio One is currently geared more towards the musicality side of things, such as recording live. While some DAWs are more midi centric and geared towards sequencer type programming. Both can be used to create music, but both are very different approaches.

The problem is trying to balance both approaches into a cohesive work flow that works for everyone.
So.. serious question.. you’ve been banned before. What is it that keeps you here?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

The best records right now on the charts are produced in FL be it hip hop or electronic music. If you can't produce with Studio One 4.5 your playing yourself lol.

beatmangler443 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 am
The best records right now on the charts are produced in FL be it hip hop or electronic music. If you can't produce with Studio One 4.5 your playing yourself lol.
Pencil in notes for trap beats and composing actual music are two different worlds.

Yes, because editing MIDI and composing actual music are two different worlds.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Yes, because pencil in drum hits and 808 to follow it is playing an instrument.

Also, those "best" records seen quite a few DAW's, beatmakerz, producers and engineers, FL if used was by those starting beatmakerz or "producers", than quite a few writers&composers took over and did rest of the hooks, music and lyrics, than tracking, mixing and mastering engineer did theirs, so no, those records are barely composed in FL, they are sketched in it on an laptop probably with pencil tool on the move.

I'm not slamming S1, it's quite capable DAW for more than trap beats and it's hard to satisfy everyone, it's powerful DAW for every process and made to be staple of studio, for all things that goes into process, just like older DAW's it looks up to, it's quite amazing what it become and hope it will grow in every direction to leave plenty of competition in dust.

beatmangler443 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 am
When I produced music in FL Studio (it was Fruity Loops back than) and professionally released it on big labels (1999 till 2009), 80% of people didnt even know what it is. In 2009 or 2010 I switched to S1 pro and never looked back. And than someone says S1 lacks something and I wondered what because I do film music as well as electronic and everything works as intended, at least to me. Half of those midi possibilities someone mentioned before is something I will never use so they dont matter to me at all. But, MPE is a must these days and I hope Presonus will add it soon.

Passing Bye wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:47 am Yes, because pencil in drum hits and 808 to follow it is playing an instrument.
Trying to find reason to discredit that they are winning currently?

Like the chord preview a lot.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”