Saving Reason templates?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why is it not possible to 'save as' a template in Reason 10? - I'm sure that used to be possible. There's a whole folder of templates in .rsndemo format so someone must have saved them but the file save dialogue doesn't give the option to save in anything other than .reason format.

I think that's how it works. A .reason format file saved in the template folder will show up in the Template menu. Certainly that's how it was in previous versions.

You mean it gets a different extension automatically?

No, I think you couldn't ever save as a .rsndemo file. It just uses a regular song file as a template--the only difference is its location.

Save as -> move the saved file to template folder

How to create read-only (write-protected) Reason Template:

Save as usual your desired Project who you like to use later as template.
(You have to activate in your OS the "File Extension" Visibility)
Then rename manually the File-Extension of this File from “.reason” into “.rsndemo”, that’s it!
Now you can open your “justmyexample.rsndemo” Project, but you can’t overwrite it.
So you can use this as template without danger to change it.
You can set it in "Reason Preferences" as "Default Song".
If ever you open Reason, Reason opens this Template but you can't overwrite it.
The location where you place the file doesn't matter at all.
But I’ll recommend to put it in the Reason Folder called “Template Song”.
KORG O1/WproX was my first Love (until I had an affair with Roland XV-88)

Distorted Horizon wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm Save as -> move the saved file to template folder
Which seems silly to me BTW. Why not just "save as template" ?? Ah, the quirks of daw's.......

It's actually really simple (even if not super-obvious):

if you access the "new from template" menu entry within the "file"-menu you will find something along the lines of "show template-folder" at the bottom of that list.

Whatever project-file you save in that folder will show up in the template-list in the file-menu.

As 4gotten5udio already mentioned, templates are usually saved as .rsndemo and these are write-protected.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Have you tried Vital?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”