[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Lots of good improvements in 4.5. That bit where they demonstrated macros of the new Musical Functions while playing back a loop was a great demo of those features.

A few posts up someone mentioned Studio One isn’t quite a creators DAW yet, still mostly a mixers DAW. I like it that way but then again I used to make instrumentals in Maschine and then track the vocal and mix it all in Logic or PT.

If they keep refining and energizing the existing tool sets (patterns, automation, Direct Input, the chord track, external instrument tracks, a lot of refinements that affect 3rd party plugins) it could really be a great daw for creation and mixing. It already is good but could be great.

Anyone know how to change default velocity in drum patterns...its set to 60 by default.

While I didn't get what I was personally most looking for in the latest release, I think they're doing a very good job of balanced updates. While the 4.x release seemed aimed mainly towards creators, and less at mixers with the Patterns, etc, I think they added some new stuff for creators, and a number of good workflow/mixer features that, to be honest, will benefit most everyone.

Maybe in 5 I'll get articulation management, etc. Until then - still my favorite DAW all around.

I didn't notice this before but apparently NKS Support was a highlighted feature of StudioOneX,
http://studioonex.narechk.net/index_en.html

There was also this which I found over on gearslutz....

"Hi all, MCU Support for Komplete Kontrol S-Series MK2 and A-Series (including M32) keyboards is currently in development and is nearing completion. It will be available for beta testing on Centercode shortly, and will be available as part of the next Komplete Kontrol software release.

Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Best,
Adil
I don't have have an NKS Keyboard, so it doesn't affect me, but as it seems quite a high request for those that do, it might serve as useful info to know...

The quote above was as of a few weeks ago...so make of it as you will. Info here
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I for one am glad Native Instruments decided to finally support MCU. I know MCU is not perfect, it is a compromise, it is clunky, but I thought it was rather inconsiderate to not offer an alternative if a DAW wasn't able or willing to do all the work to incorporate the NKS integration into their DAWs. S1, Fruity Loops, Cakewalk, Harrison, Samplitude, DP, etc etc

oneway wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:35 pm I for one am glad Native Instruments decided to finally support MCU. I know MCU is not perfect, it is a compromise, it is clunky, but I thought it was rather inconsiderate to not offer an alternative if a DAW wasn't able or willing to do all the work to incorporate the NKS integration into their DAWs. S1, Fruity Loops, Cakewalk, Harrison, Samplitude, DP, etc etc
Personally I've always used hardware synthesizer midi keyboard controllers rather than dedicated keyboards with no sounds at all, fancy controllers without any sound generating functionality has always felt to be a soulless experience... :) although I do have a AKAI Pro LPD8 that I picked up cheap for just £15 last year. But yeah... it's a compromise of sorts with regard to Native Instruments... At least progress has been made with Nectar...

Never heard of centercode before myself but here's the link to it.. https://native-instruments.centercode.com/welcome/

---
I've updated page one with an overview of the macros which might come in useful as a reference with them being updated in 4.5.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I always have used synths as my controllers too but now the controllers are finally getting useful enough to warrant leaving my synths as modules and getting a Panaroma p6 :) just gotta buy a QSR for my old alesis sounds now that it’s not gonna be my controller anymore. Fun fact, I think some of the guys on the Presonus software team used to work on the alesis sound design team

bundoo wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 4:42 am Anyone know how to change default velocity in drum patterns...its set to 60 by default.
Not as yet, but you could try and create a Song Template with all your drums setup and your preferred velocity values set. At instrument level for say Impact XT, you could also save a preset that you can recall once setup on each of the pads.

In the midi lane , when choosing cuttof , studio one actually sends resonance (cc71) instead of cc74
ANd the othe other way around , resonance is sending cc74 instead of cc71
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

edit: seem to be a bug... [paranoia mode off]

Apparently Studio One 4.5 has some serious problems with automation speed:
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... io-one-450

An instant fade to -inf dB takes a whole 320 ms in SO 4.5, by far the worst of any DAW compared. Interestingly, it's nearly instant in 4.1.4, but instead produces distortion.

A couple of samples probably doesn't matter in most cases, but over .3 seconds of fade is long enough to be clearly heard. That's almost an entire beat at fast tempos.

...and 4.5.1 is out, which is supposed to fix this issue :)

I`m waiting for confirmed bug fixes, RickiLeaks don`t even touched them, v4.5.1 adressed:

Faulty assignment of ATOM pads
Volume automation is laggy
Crash on undoing instantiation of instruments
Audio events disappear on bounce when writing tempo information option is disabled
Crash on hitting Alt+Arrow up/down in empty song
Limiter metering mode switch is broken
Pop-up menu for "Add Insert" command has wrong properties

Is this fixed?
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:05 am In the midi lane , when choosing cuttof , studio one actually sends resonance (cc71) instead of cc74
ANd the othe other way around , resonance is sending cc74 instead of cc71
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

I did spend a little while testing the automation volume issue yesterday but I kinda knew that it wouldn't be long in them putting out a fix for this... didn't think it would be quite this quick... But anyway, I reran the test again to compare the results, here's the result. As for other possible issues mentioned above, I've not tested to see yet.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:38 am I did spend a little while testing the automation volume issue yesterday but I kinda knew that it wouldn't be long in them putting out a fix for this... didn't think it would be quite this quick... But anyway, I reran the test again to compare the results, here's the result. As for other possible issues mentioned above, I've not tested to see yet.

Wow, 4.5 truly looks terrible in that picture. Glad it was fixed in 4.5.1, though I'm wondering how it was overlooked during beta testing. Volume automation seems like such a fundamental feature in a DAW that it should be part of some standard testing protocol before signing off an update for release...
It's not the first time. 4.0, 4.1 and now 4.5 all broke lots of stuff and required emergency hotfixes.

I'm just a hobbyist, so these bugs aren't the end of the world to me. However a bug like this could downright damage the career of a professional producer, if they update their DAW and suddenly start sending tracks with sloppy volume automation to clients.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”