Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Yeah folks sorry I don't read this forum that often and someone just reported the broken display over on GitHub. I'm looking.

As to memory that's really surprising. beta 9 and 1.6.0 have the same memory footprint.

My bet is we have a 1.6.1 before too long...

baconpaul wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:56 am As to memory that's really surprising. beta 9 and 1.6.0 have the same memory footprint.
I spoke too soon. To support some larger wavetables the wavetable storage has increased. That will use more memory but it avoids a crash (a table was sized in two places; in one it would read any file; in another it would read it into too small a memory footprint). Let me look at that code for 1.6.1 and see if I can do something a bit more dynamic without doing too much allocation.

https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/900 is the issue if you want to follow along.

(Basically: Surge uses static allocation for wavetable storage. I increased the wavetable storage to allow max allowed size to avoid several crashes; the wavetable storage appears 6 times in RAM per instance as both shorts and floats; so that size increase is visible. Changing it to dynamic allocation which grows as needed is a better approach if the code is amenable to that without doing allocation on the audio thread. If not I can think about alternatives like the 32 bit version has lower wavetable resolution thresholds or something).

Folks

Thanks to a great bug report I found a zoom bug in the vst3 windows which would cause draw problems. Can I ask you who have noticed to try the nightly build at surge-synthesizer.github.io and let me know if it works?

I may sweep this fix into a 1.6.0.1 since it is so dumb. But I’ll look at the memory first to see if I can dynamically allocate

Thanks

Does the 32bit version work in energy xt 3 now? I cant find any information on it on github
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Just tried the 64-bit, VST3 version of the June 6 nightly build, and I still have the same problems in Sonar. I can choose to zoom to 125% or by 10% (or whatever), and while the plug-in window appears to resize itself properly, the plug-in itself is still cut off where the previous-size plug-in window would have been.

Fortunately (or not, depending upon how you look at it), closing the plug-in and re-opening it resets it to 100%.

Also, even though I only chose to install the VST3 version, the installer still insists on putting the uninstall files in my VST2 folder. As I mentioned a few months ago, this shouldn't happen, because people might delete the VST2\Surge folder, thinking there's nothing in it--after all, they only installed the VST3 version, right?

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:08 am Just tried the 64-bit, VST3 version of the June 6 nightly build, and I still have the same problems in Sonar. I can choose to zoom to 125% or by 10% (or whatever), and while the plug-in window appears to resize itself properly, the plug-in itself is still cut off where the previous-size plug-in window would have been.

Fortunately (or not, depending upon how you look at it), closing the plug-in and re-opening it resets it to 100%.

Also, even though I only chose to install the VST3 version, the installer still insists on putting the uninstall files in my VST2 folder. As I mentioned a few months ago, this shouldn't happen, because people might delete the VST2\Surge folder, thinking there's nothing in it--after all, they only installed the VST3 version, right?

Steve
Sonar is another name for Cakewalk right? I ended up realizing that Cakewalk doesn't actually support zoom properly with VST3 and ended up disabling it; may have to do same with Sonar alas. Basically the VST3 resize protocol gets a bad message from Cakewalk.

Thanks for the note on the installer. I'll see if I can figure that out but will definitely add an issue for it. That's actually code I didn't write! But will see if we can figure it out. https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/901

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:38 am Does the 32bit version work in energy xt 3 now? I cant find any information on it on github
It does not. Here is the GitHub issue. https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/190

If you have friends who are windows audio developers who would like to tackle that, help would be welcome.

baconpaul wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:38 am Does the 32bit version work in energy xt 3 now? I cant find any information on it on github
It does not. Here is the GitHub issue. https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/190

If you have friends who are windows audio developers who would like to tackle that, help would be welcome.
Whish i knew someone that could do it but i dont.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

OK hi folks. Thanks for the comments. I did some fixes this morning and I need your help testing.

So there were two bugs we found

1. The VST3 indeed was resizing incorrectly and while some hosts were fine with that others caused paint errors in some cases. Some versions of FL especially. This is confirmed fix

2. The memory increase to support larger wavetables has been fixed. We now dynamically grow memory to meet the wavetables you need (and choose a reasonable starting point to avoid allocations). The starting point we choose is below the 1.6.0-beta-9 starting point so you should see reduced memory use

I fixed those and tested it extensively. No leaks reported in valgrind on linux. Ran all the flavors in windows in BitWig or FL. I even checked that the 32 plugin loads and paints in reaper 32 bit windows 10. And it does and it resizes.

But especially change #2, if I have done it wrong, could lead to crashes. So could I please ask those of you who want to

1. https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/#downloads Download the nightly from there and use the heck out of it

2. If you see a crash or bug which isn't in 1.6.0 or seems new, preferably open a GitHub issue with your host, your OS, and the flavor (32 or 64, vst2 3 or au) of surge you are running. If you can't open a GitHub issue including the same here will work just will have a longer turnaround time.

Thanks very much.

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:49 pm
baconpaul wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:08 pm

Whish i knew someone that could do it but i dont.
OK well it's on my list - I can probably get to it early in the summer. Just it involves a lot of toolchains I don't really use very often. Sorry!

Yes, memory use is far lower than before, great job!
I'm on Cakewalk, Vst3 zoom is disabled, so I can't see if it is works.
Why not leave it enabled, at least on nightlys!

sping wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:23 pm I'm on Cakewalk, Vst3 zoom is disabled, so I can't see if it is works.
Why not leave it enabled, at least on nightlys!
I'm 100% sure it fails on cakewalk; the messages it sends me are bad. I'll take another swing at it (I have an open issue for mis-behaving hosts) but for now I'd rather leave the nightly code and the versioned code the same code base.

Will ponder though.

Thanks for letting me know about memory!! Very much appreciated.

baconpaul wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:06 pm
planetearth wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:08 am Just tried the 64-bit, VST3 version of the June 6 nightly build, and I still have the same problems in Sonar. I can choose to zoom to 125% or by 10% (or whatever), and while the plug-in window appears to resize itself properly, the plug-in itself is still cut off where the previous-size plug-in window would have been.

Steve
Sonar is another name for Cakewalk right? I ended up realizing that Cakewalk doesn't actually support zoom properly with VST3 and ended up disabling it; may have to do same with Sonar alas. Basically the VST3 resize protocol gets a bad message from Cakewalk.

Thanks for the note on the installer. I'll see if I can figure that out but will definitely add an issue for it. That's actually code I didn't write! But will see if we can figure it out. https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/901
The VST2 version also doesn't resize properly, and it never has. I'm sure you've heard this before, but I don't have this problem with other plug-ins that resize, including stuff from Tone2, NI, Arturia and others.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

The Nightly build, i that a dark skinned version?

baconpaul wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:05 pm I'm 100% sure it fails on cakewalk; the messages it sends me are bad.
"The Bakers" are quite good at fixing bugs on their side, so if you can give me some more info I will forward it to them.

Return to “Instruments”