Kithairon's YouTube thread

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:18 pmtake this as you will, but i cant stand the youtube thumbnails where people act for a photo.
Yep, that Andrew Huang dude pops up in my YT feed all the time but one look at the expression on his stupid face and I know I am never clicking on anything that dick does. (Of course, I am only assuming he's a dick because of that stupid expression on his stupid face. He might be a lovely guy with some genuine insights to share but I'll never know because I won't watch is videos.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

jochicago wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:04 am Before I go, please Like and Subscribe this comment. And leave a comment below. I'll post links to my other comments in the description. I release new comments daily so check back soon. If you want to see more comments like this please support me on patreon.
:tu:

... and now, a word from our sponsor.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I dipped in and he is basically right but trying to suggest he can tell us all about how to mix and master in 12 mins (less hand waving, plus ed_t_ng time recovered) makes it all rather trivial for my taste. But then many people say my hour-long in-depth thinking style podcast/tutorial videos are too long and dull. Horses for courses.

Otherwise yes, this thread looks like a dump & run which is is a total no-no in my book.

:-)

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:22 am
vurt wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:18 pmtake this as you will, but i cant stand the youtube thumbnails where people act for a photo.
Yep, that Andrew Huang dude pops up in my YT feed all the time but one look at the expression on his stupid face and I know I am never clicking on anything that dick does. (Of course, I am only assuming he's a dick because of that stupid expression on his stupid face. He might be a lovely guy with some genuine insights to share but I'll never know because I won't watch is videos.)
I like his channel a lot. Talented guy, with some interesting ideas.

The problem with YT (and all of Social Media - well people really) is that it is all too often a popularity contest, not based on ability to make & deliver something amazing, merely to be noticeable. Once people are more concerned with the lighting or mic used than the content things are really wrong. It leads to the likes of Andrew Huang where even if there is any value in what they do it is all secondary to the silliness. the popularity of this begets more in an ever-descending spiral of stupidity.

Tip: record your own sounds. Yup, thanks. What if I then apply one plugin after another to make a progression of silly/nasty noises? Yup, I'm a gonna not subscribe and go back to Glenn Fricker and when I can see real people like the other Andrew (Schepps that is) talk sensibly about the real art & thinking.

Creators or Consumers - the new divide
https://benedictroffmarsh.com/2019/01/2 ... ew-divide/

Benedict wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:51 am The problem with YT (and all of Social Media - well people really) is that it is all too often a popularity contest, not based on ability to make & deliver something amazing, merely to be noticeable. Once people are more concerned with the lighting or mic used than the content things are really wrong. It leads to the likes of Andrew Huang where even if there is any value in what they do it is all secondary to the silliness. the popularity of this begets more in an ever-descending spiral of stupidity.

Tip: record your own sounds. Yup, thanks. What if I then apply one plugin after another to make a progression of silly/nasty noises? Yup, I'm a gonna not subscribe and go back to Glenn Fricker and when I can see real people like the other Andrew (Schepps that is) talk sensibly about the real art & thinking.

Well, you can stick with pushing your concept of a divide. But if you want said ideas to have any credibility, then perhaps not cite someone like AH as an example; someone who, if you really dig into his content, demonstrates an uncanny ability to prove what you are saying as nonsense.

Sorry! Guess I'm not the kind of guy who's into talking "sensibly" about "real art" and thinking :tu:

At least he apologized.

Aloysius wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:06 am At least he apologized.
So if I kill someone's cat but apologize in the same sentence (usually with a "just saying hehe") then I never done killed their cat at all - it was all in their oversensitive mind? Yay Hipsterism, you gotta love it :clap:

:-I

Benedict wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:51 amThe problem with YT (and all of Social Media - well people really) is that it is all too often a popularity contest, not based on ability to make & deliver something amazing, merely to be noticeable. Once people are more concerned with the lighting or mic used than the content things are really wrong.
Precisely. To see the proof of this you need look no further than the dates that so many of these videos are posted. People are far more concerned with getting their video out first than they are with providing any useful content.

What happens is that you buy something , like a Roli Seaboard Block for example. You get it home, you set it up and you realise that it does a lot more stuff than you thought, so you go to YouTube to find some videos to help you discover more about it. The trouble is, you do a search and all the results are from idiots who did an unboxing video and spent the same 40 minutes you just spent stuffing around trying to figure out what it can do, then posted it to so they'd get in before everyone else. But what you actually need is a well considered video from someone who has had the thing for a few months and knows it inside-out. You never get those videos because no-one who puts a video on YouTube is just trying to be helpful, they all have other goals in mind.
Yup, I'm a gonna not subscribe and go back to Glenn Fricker and when I can see real people like the other Andrew (Schepps that is) talk sensibly about the real art & thinking.
Now you're doing it - you're making it about people. f**k people, they just get in the way of information. I just want information. I don't want to know who provides it, I just want it to be useful. If I can even see the back of the head of the arsehole making the video, it's a fail. Get your fat, f**king head out of the way so I can see what you're doing, you dick.
I like to be both. I am at least as proud of my music collection as I am of my own musical output, probably moreso as it is a much broader reflection of who I am. It covers a gamut that I couldn't possibly match with my meagre artistic talents. And I am fine with that because it would be a pretty shit world to live in where there wasn't anyone to look up to.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Benedict wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:47 am
Aloysius wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:06 am At least he apologized.
So if I kill someone's cat but apologize in the same sentence (usually with a "just saying hehe") then I never done killed their cat at all - it was all in their oversensitive mind? Yay Hipsterism, you gotta love it :clap:

:-I
You seem know a lot more about hipsters than I do. I'll have to take your word for it. A shake of a man bun is as good as a wink to a blind man. ;)

Hi guys!

Kinh wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:20 pm why dont you just keep ya opinions to yourself mate. you're just ramblin' about bloody nuffin'
why dont you take your own advice, for a change.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:06 pm
Benedict wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:51 amThe problem with YT (and all of Social Media - well people really) is that it is all too often a popularity contest, not based on ability to make & deliver something amazing, merely to be noticeable. Once people are more concerned with the lighting or mic used than the content things are really wrong.
Precisely. To see the proof of this you need look no further than the dates that so many of these videos are posted. People are far more concerned with getting their video out first than they are with providing any useful content.

What happens is that you buy something , like a Roli Seaboard Block for example. You get it home, you set it up and you realise that it does a lot more stuff than you thought, so you go to YouTube to find some videos to help you discover more about it. The trouble is, you do a search and all the results are from idiots who did an unboxing video and spent the same 40 minutes you just spent stuffing around trying to figure out what it can do, then posted it to so they'd get in before everyone else. But what you actually need is a well considered video from someone who has had the thing for a few months and knows it inside-out. You never get those videos because no-one who puts a video on YouTube is just trying to be helpful, they all have other goals in mind.
I think that there are a few people making more studied material on Blog, Video etc. but they tend to be ignored (and even abused) by the masses so the ever-present "sort by popularity" model means that they become invisible, often even on the day they are released. This is where Subscribing helps, but even then only a bit as all the other shallow but popular stuff still gets all the social proof.

I don't understands the intrawebzes.

Over at Reasontalk we had someone do this and it was called "clickbait" ... Well, I guess it works :lol:

Return to “Production Techniques”