Is it alright to record vocal with a desktop mic stand?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Due to the limited space, I'm looking for a portable microphone stand.

Apparently, a desktop microphone stand is the smallest type available. It looks very good for podcasting.

But is it alright if you sit and record your vocal for a song with a desktop microphone stand?

My sincere thanks,

I'm totally wrong person to answer this so I'll just say that IMO you can yell to your phone and record the vocal with that. From the mix, most people can't tell what did you use to record your vocals..

Of course a vocal room with proper stands, mics, treatment etc etc is different than a mic on your table. But IMO again.. As long as people don't come back to you saying "I really liked your song, but the vocals sounded bad.. Just like they've been recorded on some cheap gear", I think you'll do just fine with desktop mic :D

It’s okay, but I would suggest not sitting when recording vocals.

J. Smith wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:33 am ... I would suggest not sitting when recording vocals.
^^^ THIS ^^^
Fernando (FMR)

A desktop stand wouldn't negatively effect the mic's recording quality in any way.

But, like the others said; Proper singing technique requires you to stand, with your heels pressing into the ground and a bit of bend in your knees. You're range and your breathing will be limited sitting down. Surely you can get a cheap proper mic-stand for under $20... shop around.
Last edited by an-electric-heart on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

...and you should have the mic over your head pointing down. That way your head will be forced to point upward and your throat opens up and makes it easier to get the breathing right.
But, if you're a welltrained person with good working diaphragm, sitting down could work.

Thank you so much for your kind replies. This is great information.

I was struck by this comment: "and you should have the mic over your head pointing down. That way your head will be forced to point upward and your throat opens up and makes it easier to get the breathing right." I did not know about this, and may try.

Thank you.

Saffran wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:35 am ...and you should have the mic over your head pointing down.
That seems a bit excessive to me. It would certainly strain your neck more then what should be comfortable for the duration of a vocal session. However, a little bit upwards from normal front face alignment is indeed a good thing to keep your throat open.

There are plenty videos on youtube that show vocal sessions in professional studios, there's a lot to learn from those.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

a lot of people sit and sing.
pianists, drummers and so on...

whether it works for you, only you can know

^ They are small penists who are actually standing.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:29 pm ^ They are small penists who are actually standing.
elton john ill agree, hes about 2 foot four.

:hihi:

A little penist
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

that is little if you ask me...

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:25 pm a lot of people sit and sing.
I can only think of live performers singing this way. But when recording in a studio, these same folks (at least the vast majority of them) are standing.

flugel45 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:57 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:25 pm a lot of people sit and sing.
I can only think of live performers singing this way. But when recording in a studio, these same folks (at least the vast majority of them) are standing.
this may well be true, for the majority
however, most of those old blues legends (howling wolf, bb king, robert johnson...) sat, one mic catching everything and still sounding great all these years later.

we make do with what we have when our situation demands it, if it works great, if not then you try the next level up

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”