Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

Future1313 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 am
Hi, after the error i have delete the v1.6.1.1 and install the last beta. When i have ready my Soundbank i install the new one and then when the Error comes back, i wrote it here.

Thank you
Is it possible to have access to the sound bank that causes this error? I would need that in order to debug it.

Does the error not occur with beta 9?

Thank you

baconpaul wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:43 pm
Hi, after the error i have delete the v1.6.1.1 and install the last beta. When i have ready my Soundbank i install the new one and then when the Error comes back, i wrote it here.

Thank you
Is it possible to have access to the sound bank that causes this error? I would need that in order to debug it.

Thank you
The error did not occur in Beta 9! Several weeks about 90 presets completed.
I had the version 1.6.1.1 installed and just made a preset,
right in the middle came the error message. May be that it was unique
I could not understand that. Have now the 1.6.1.1 intstalliert and
play some presets through, so far no crash.

Thank You

Future1313 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:47 pm
baconpaul wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Thank you

Thank you
The error did not occur in Beta 9! Several weeks about 90 presets completed.
I had the version 1.6.1.1 installed and just made a preset,
right in the middle came the error message. May be that it was unique
I could not understand that. Have now the 1.6.1.1 intstalliert and
play some presets through, so far no crash.

Thank You
OK. Well I don't quite see how it could happen but I'll raise the limit to 10 in 1.6.2 or something!

Recorded here: https://github.com/surge-synthesizer/surge/issues/908

Thanks.

baconpaul wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:27 pm
planetearth wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:50 pm The VST2 version also doesn't resize properly, and it never has. I'm sure you've heard this before, but I don't have this problem with other plug-ins that resize, including stuff from Tone2, NI, Arturia and others.

Steve
Yup. If those were open source I’d look how they do it (but I don’t think they use vstgui). Or if I knew what they did I would do it. But neither of those are the case.

So what we need is a developer who has made a reliable resizable vst2 and is a windows audio developer to jump in. I am not that person! But I would welcome them even more than you all would!!
Resizing GUI is vst2 is pretty easy. Will post it tomorrow how to do it. I am on phone now...

The ' Sonic Transformation ' Soundset by HO for the ' Vember Audio - Surge ' Virtual Synthesizer

Hi Vember Audio - Surge Software Synthesizer Users, Music makers, Artists and Aliens.
The Surge is now 4K Ready, Endless modulation possibilities, Great worklow , Sound is wonderful.
The first Vember Audio - Surge Synthesizer was released in 2005.
Thanks to the " Surge-Synthesizer-Group " Team on GitHub for further development.
This is an evolution of a synthesizer, 2005 to 2018 !

The ' Sonic Transformation ' Soundbank by HO - Details

- Inside the Download: 1 Soundbank " Sonic Transformation " by HO with 151 Presets
- Genres: Trance - New Wave - Electro - Industrial - Modern Synth Music
- Styles: Arpeggios - Basses - Effects - Leads - Pads - Sequences
- Wavetable Pack by Arty (*.WT & *.WAV) 1839 Files / 32 MB
- Format / File Size: Soundbank (*. FXP) / 19 MB
- For: Vember Audio - Surge v1.6.1.1 or newer
- Release Date: June 2019
- Price: Free - Gift

" Wavetable Pack by Arty "
Arty - member of Vember Audio Forum has created Wavetable Pack for Vember Audio Surge synth.
http://patcharena.com/downloads/comment ... ad27038372
Thank you Arty

Install Instructions - Windows
1.) Unrar / Unzip (use Winar or use the free 7-Zip)
2.) Copy & Paste the " HO_for_Surge_1 " Soundbank into:
C:\Users\your username\My Documents\Surge
3.) Copy & Paste the content of the " wavetables_3rdparty " folder into:
C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Surge\patches_3rdparty

Install Instructions - MacOs
1.) Unrar / Unzip (use Winar or use the free 7-Zip)
2.) Copy & Paste the " HO_for_Surge_1 " Soundbank into:
The user presets are at ~/Documents/Surge.
3.) Copy & Paste the content of the " wavetables_3rdparty " folder into:
/Library/Application Support/Surge

Versteckte Dateien und Ordner sichtbar machen (Windows)
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... n-Windows-
Displaying Hidden Files and Folders (Windows)
https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... s-Windows-

Sonic Sirius - Synthesizer Soundsets
Freeware Soundsets for Software and Hardware Synthesizer
http://ohlenbostelhelge.magix.net/public/

Royalty Free Soundset License
All ' Sonic Sirius ' Freeware Soundsets they can be used commercially in
things like movies, games, and anything else you might need a cool
sound for. You may not however redistribute them for a profit.

FREE DOWNLOAD
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/the-so ... nic-sirius
http://ohlenbostelhelge.magix.net/public/misc.htm
Last edited by Future1313 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Youlean wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:30 pm
baconpaul wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:27 pm
planetearth wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:50 pm The VST2 version also doesn't resize properly, and it never has. I'm sure you've heard this before, but I don't have this problem with other plug-ins that resize, including stuff from Tone2, NI, Arturia and others.

Steve
Yup. If those were open source I’d look how they do it (but I don’t think they use vstgui). Or if I knew what they did I would do it. But neither of those are the case.

So what we need is a developer who has made a reliable resizable vst2 and is a windows audio developer to jump in. I am not that person! But I would welcome them even more than you all would!!
Resizing GUI is vst2 is pretty easy. Will post it tomorrow how to do it. I am on phone now...
Cool. The vst resizes properly in many hosts. Like vst2 in Carla or bitwig works no problem. But some of the windows hosts just don’t force the parent window to resize. So the problem isn’t the api (or sort of api) that vst provides the problem is the oddities of hosts responding to my use of that api. I would love some help though if you want to check out the code! The zoom code for vst2 is all in src/vst2/ in the handlezoom callback.

Probably better to discuss on github than here though if that works for you.

Thank you!

Future1313 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:01 am Image

The ' Sonic Transformation ' Soundset by HO for the ' Vember Audio - Surge ' Virtual Synthesizer

Hi Vember Audio - Surge Software Synthesizer Users, Music makers, Artists and Aliens.
The Surge is now 4K Ready, Endless modulation possibilities, Great worklow , Sound is wonderful.
The first Vember Audio - Surge Synthesizer was released in 2005.
Thanks to the " Surge-Synthesizer-Group " Team on GitHub for further development.
This is an evolution of a synthesizer, 2005 to 2018 !
Wow thank you for this!

we should make a “soundpaxks” page on the surge website with an index of these. Happy to host the content there or at least list it if you want.

Can’t wait to download and try these!

Hi " baconpaul " many thanks for Your Message and Feedback !
Please put this Soundbank on the " Soundpaxks " page.

Future1313 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:35 pm Hi " baconpaul " many thanks for Your Message and Feedback !
Please put this Soundbank on the " Soundpaxks " page.
Oh also on your instructions - in 1.6 both patches and wavetables can be read from ~/documents/surge (or equiv on Mac and Lin) so no need to put the wavetables in the factory folder to get them to scan.

baconpaul wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:44 pm Cool. The vst resizes properly in many hosts. Like vst2 in Carla or bitwig works no problem. But some of the windows hosts just don’t force the parent window to resize. So the problem isn’t the api (or sort of api) that vst provides the problem is the oddities of hosts responding to my use of that api. I would love some help though if you want to check out the code! The zoom code for vst2 is all in src/vst2/ in the handlezoom callback.

Thank you!
Hm, you are using VSTGUI and I have never used it, so it will take too much time to see what is going on.

What basically should be happening is that once you decide to resize the GUI there should be a call:

bool implemented = audioMasterCallback(&mAEffect, audioMasterSizeWindow, w, h, 0, 0.f);

If function returns true everything should be cool and working. If it returns false, then the callback is not implemented and you need to resize the window manually.

I suggest inspecting the return value of setZoom and setSize first...

Youlean wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:27 pm
baconpaul wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:44 pm Cool. The vst resizes properly in many hosts. Like vst2 in Carla or bitwig works no problem. But some of the windows hosts just don’t force the parent window to resize. So the problem isn’t the api (or sort of api) that vst provides the problem is the oddities of hosts responding to my use of that api. I would love some help though if you want to check out the code! The zoom code for vst2 is all in src/vst2/ in the handlezoom callback.

Thank you!
Hm, you are using VSTGUI and I have never used it, so it will take too much time to see what is going on.

What basically should be happening is that once you decide to resize the GUI there should be a call:

bool implemented = audioMasterCallback(&mAEffect, audioMasterSizeWindow, w, h, 0, 0.f);

If function returns true everything should be cool and working. If it returns false, then the callback is not implemented and you need to resize the window manually.

Ah...shoot. And I was actually getting my hopes up. Thanks for offering, anyway. Maybe @baconpaul or someone who knows C++ coding for Windows apps will know what to do with your tip.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Youlean wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:27 pm

Thank you!

Yes vstgui has made it hard. As has the fact that many hosts which folks say misdraw (like reaper on win10) work finenin parallels on Mac.

That’s a useful tip though. It is more or less what sersize does though isn’t it? I checked for the cando call but that seems ridiculously inconsistent. I will see what that returns

When you say manually resize the window you mean “write win32 to walk up the stack and pray you find a correct top level hwnd and call resize”? I guess that’s the kind of thing I was hoping a windows dev would do! Last time I wrote code like that was too long ago.

But you are right - this is something about not dealing with idiosyncratic host / vst2 / vstgui / my code interactions for the large number of hosts out there. Energyxt won’t even open the GUI for instance! But I’ve been a Mac user for decade+ so I hadn’t even heard of energyxt until someone told me it didn’t work!

We zoom fine in several hosts too - bitwig on all os vst3 and 2, logic, fl20 vst3, Carla, and all the Mac au hosts - which is why I really want to find a windows audio unit programmer interested in an open source project.

We have plenty of Mac and Linux user/dev and plenty of windows user. But where are the windows devs?! Happy for them to fix the code and send in pull requests!

baconpaul wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:08 am Yes vstgui has made it hard. As has the fact that many hosts which folks say misdraw (like reaper on win10) work finenin parallels on Mac.

That’s a useful tip though. It is more or less what sersize does though isn’t it? I checked for the cando call but that seems ridiculously inconsistent. I will see what that returns

When you say manually resize the window you mean “write win32 to walk up the stack and pray you find a correct top level hwnd and call resize”? I guess that’s the kind of thing I was hoping a windows dev would do! Last time I wrote code like that was too long ago.

But you are right - this is something about not dealing with idiosyncratic host / vst2 / vstgui / my code interactions for the large number of hosts out there. Energyxt won’t even open the GUI for instance! But I’ve been a Mac user for decade+ so I hadn’t even heard of energyxt until someone told me it didn’t work!

We zoom fine in several hosts too - bitwig on all os vst3 and 2, logic, fl20 vst3, Carla, and all the Mac au hosts - which is why I really want to find a windows audio unit programmer interested in an open source project.

We have plenty of Mac and Linux user/dev and plenty of windows user. But where are the windows devs?! Happy for them to fix the code and send in pull requests!
There are independent Windows devs all over KVR--you can't swing a cat without hitting one. Some of them may even know about this "VSTGUI" you're using, and might be able to help. And I thought I saw that someone here was going to forward this issue on to a dev he knew? This was mentioned a page or two ago on here.

I don't know anything about "VSTGUI", but if it's an SDK, can't you get support from the people who make it? Maybe they can offer an idea as to why it isn't working the way you'd like. Just a thought....

I wish I knew more about coding, but my focus has been on troubleshooting/beta-testing libraries and software, not developing them.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:43 am
There are independent Windows devs all over KVR--you can't swing a cat without hitting one. Some of them may even know about this "VSTGUI" you're using, and might be able to help. And I thought I saw that someone here was going to forward this issue on to a dev he knew? This was mentioned a page or two ago on here.

I don't know anything about "VSTGUI", but if it's an SDK, can't you get support from the people who make it? Maybe they can offer an idea as to why it isn't working the way you'd like. Just a thought....

I wish I knew more about coding, but my focus has been on troubleshooting/beta-testing libraries and software, not developing them.

Steve
Yeah to be clear I wasn't frustrated with anyone here but I see how my note was sounding like it was verging on that. Just asking you all: If you know one of these cat-radius windows devs please ping them over to this project! :)

VSTGUI is the steinberg gui toolkit. It is not software which has been super awesome to use. But the problem is that this zoom issue is in the intersection of VST2 and the hosts not vstgui itself. Steinberg's answer to vst2 question is "use vst3". So that avenue won't help. And vstgui in vst2 is zooming properly anyway - it's the same render code path in all the hosts and flavors. Just it doesn't in cakewalk, in reaper, etc... (We actually use a patched vstgui in surge because there are bugs in the zoom implementation. This is a topic for a longer time)

So the type of dev I need is: Someone with a windows computer who can debug a plugin in reaper or cakewalk and has written a zoomable vst2. If you resize the window, the window will repaint. That's what happens in bitwig, logic, etc... Also that person could then do things like the 5 button mouse request, which obviously I can't do on my mac! I would welcome her or his contribution to the project in other regards also - there is lots of interesting stuff to be done!

Anyway I'm taking a break from surge for a few weeks, now that the surge rack adaptation is headed to the rack v1 library and we have a reasonable 1.6.1.1; I'll be back in mid July. But I did tag several of our issues "windows" if a dev wants to look.

I didn't take it as if you were frustrated with anyone here--just as a natural frustration with coding. :wink:

If someone who knows how to implement or troubleshoot VSTGUI drops by here, would he or she be able to reach you while you're on your break? I'm sure you need some time away from this, but if you've finished writing up whatever you were going to document for the other person who was going to take a look at this, maybe someone else might benefit from that, too.

Again, I don't want to take you away from your break--I'm sure you can use it! I'm just asking in case someone else wants to take a crack at it, but doesn't know where that documentation might be found.

Thanks again for your work on this, and enjoy your break!

Steve

Return to “Instruments”