Hive 2.0 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:48 pm

Clearly u-he synths aren't for you...

RePro-1 is the only u-he synth with more than 16 steps... and half of them don't even have a step sequencer.
Yeah fair enough I understand.
And I get the whole idea of using my Daws sequencer but sometimes it breaks the immersion.
If I am in a Synth I am in it, so to break away even for a few moments takes me out of the immersion.
I am not a huge fan of Daw Sequencers as I prefer to play live, if the Synth can get the job done I am happy to stay within its environment for as long as possible and print anything worth its salt.

If u-he ever decide to upgrade to 32 steps I'll probably repurchase Hive 2.
It is entirely my fault for buying Hive 2 in the first place without reading its specs.

Calandria wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:02 pm And I get the whole idea of using my Daws sequencer but sometimes it breaks the immersion.
If I am in a Synth I am in it, so to break away even for a few moments takes me out of the immersion.
I am not a huge fan of Daw Sequencers as I prefer to play live, if the Synth can get the job done I am happy to stay within its environment for as long as possible and print anything worth its salt.
Of course... do whatever works for you. When it comes to step sequencers, I prefer hardware. My Elektron boxes are much more intuitive, hands-on fun than mousing notes in.

I also use Bitwig and the clip launcher is an interactive step sequencer where it is easy to trigger patterns of any length in whatever arrangement one wants spontaneously on the fly. Same with Ableton Live.
Calandria wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:02 pmIf u-he ever decide to upgrade to 32 steps I'll probably repurchase Hive 2.
It is entirely my fault for buying Hive 2 in the first place without reading its specs.
Since you already have it... you might try giving the tools a chance. I don't know what sort of 32 step patterns you make, but if you combine the arp and sequencer you can do more complex patterns than 16 steps. Using the arp makes it more interactive as well. There are a number of other tools that make it easy to go beyond 16 steps in complexity.

Back to the other features...I love the sound when you set it to the Spectral interpolator and using 16 tables for the Harmonics/3 Overtone Series (looping back and forth) and moving the position very slowly over time. Nice!

Examigan wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:35 pm Back to the other features...I love the sound when you set it to the Spectral interpolator and using 16 tables for the Harmonics/3 Overtone Series (looping back and forth) and moving the position very slowly over time. Nice!
Get your grubby mits away from my favourite table! :party:
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:56 am
Examigan wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:35 pm Back to the other features...I love the sound when you set it to the Spectral interpolator and using 16 tables for the Harmonics/3 Overtone Series (looping back and forth) and moving the position very slowly over time. Nice!
Get your grubby mits away from my favourite table! :party:
:hihi:

Fabulous update. This was a wonderful evolution in an already super-efficient favorite sd tool. No one has seen me in the house for many hours today. The way you’ve integrated the tables makes for super-efficient design. I’m not so certain what is meant by “...Things can get rather interesting if you set Tables to a value that doesn’t divide the number of frames in the wavetable so evenly.“ (from the user guide). I get interesting usable results from just about every interpolation ;)

I can't believe how much i love this synth. It strikes such a great balance between being super fast in use, whilst having interesting and creative mods and amazing sounding filters and oscillators. I had no idea i was going to love this as much as i do!!

It has been incredibly fun and addictive. So far i have been able to make an entire track with just this synth and am extremely happy with the results.
It just sounds awesome too. What a bargain of a synth!

Now that Cubase has a plugin manager that lets you sort your collection, I have mine setup where I have a folder called "Analog-ish Synths" [for non-modular, non-digital, non-sample based, non0physical modeled synths]. After I finally got Hive when 1.2 came out, it was probably the fifth or sixth one down in that folder, behind RePro-5, RePro-1, Diva, Legend, and maybe the System-8. Then, as I used Hive more, it slowly started coming up in the pecking order. Now it sits atop that category as it's my most used synth at the moment. The new UI, modulation options, scope, wavetables, and excellent presets really just make it a wonderful synth to work with, and one that sounds utterly fantastic. It's become my favorite synth from my favorite synth-maker.

Have to admit, i am really impressed by the sound. I know Urs is not the biggest fan of Viruses, to say the least, but actually the sound character and the overall feel really reminds me of my Virus TI.

Gotta buy H2 at some point.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:06 pmWhen it comes to step sequencers, I prefer hardware. My Elektron boxes are much more intuitive, hands-on fun than mousing notes in.
You'd be the only person in the universe who thinks that way. I have never found anything more opaque in my life than the sequencer in my Analog Keys and absolutely everyone says how different they are and how hard it is to get used to the way they work, which is the opposite of "intuitive". I love my AK because it sounds amazing but working with it is anything but fun.
Since you already have it... you might try giving the tools a chance. I don't know what sort of 32 step patterns you make, but if you combine the arp and sequencer you can do more complex patterns than 16 steps. Using the arp makes it more interactive as well. There are a number of other tools that make it easy to go beyond 16 steps in complexity.
In fact, as I have pointed out twice now, using the new modulation features allows for infinite length sequences so there is simply no reason to even use the step sequencer any more. You just need to take a bit of time to learn how to harness the other features to do what you want to do.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 am
pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:06 pmWhen it comes to step sequencers, I prefer hardware. My Elektron boxes are much more intuitive, hands-on fun than mousing notes in.
You'd be the only person in the universe who thinks that way. I have never found anything more opaque in my life than the sequencer in my Analog Keys and absolutely everyone says how different they are and how hard it is to get used to the way they work, which is the opposite of "intuitive". I love my AK because it sounds amazing but working with it is anything but fun.
I find a keyboard much more intuitive for inputting notes than drawing them in by hand with the mouse in the piano roll. That of course is predicated on my learning to play the keyboard, know my chords etc.

Same thing with the Elektron sequencer. Like any instrument I have to spend time practicing to become competent with it. But once done, it is fast, fluid and creative fun. But maybe I'm the only person in the universe who thinks so :hihi:

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:11 amI find a keyboard much more intuitive for inputting notes than drawing them in by hand with the mouse in the piano roll. That of course is predicated on my learning to play the keyboard, know my chords etc.
My brain doesn't work like that. I can see the chords on the vertical keyboard in the piano roll just as easily as I can play them with my hands on a physical keyboard. The mental effort required is about the same for me. Maybe I am more of a visual thinker?
Same thing with the Elektron sequencer. Like any instrument I have to spend time practicing to become competent with it. But once done, it is fast, fluid and creative fun. But maybe I'm the only person in the universe who thinks so :hihi:
Well, I read a lot of reviews before I bought mine and every, single one of them said the same thing, so maybe you are. Again, for me, I can't get a mental picture of how it works, which makes it harder to get my head around. With the sequencer in the M1, O1/W or Trinity, I could see what was going on but I can't in the AK. To be fair, I've not really put in a lot of effort because I haven't seen any point but that mental picture has never formed.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Quick question, will presets created with Hive 1.x be fully compatible with Hive 2?

Yes.

Return to “Instruments”