Webshop experiences

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been buying lots of stuff lately (guitar, pedals, pedalboards, cables...) from many shops, and given the differences in customer experience, I decided to share mine.
I'm in Belgium, so I avoid non-EU stores, as custom fees are huge and unpredictable.

Thomann
- good prices overall.
- some bargains to be found, if you look around (they're not always advertised as such).
- fast communication
- fast order processing
- well packaged shipments
- incredibly large catalogue, most items are in stock
- hard to find stuff sometimes due to the way products are categorized; customer feedback is often informative; sales ranking give you an idea of which products sell best; good bargains overview (but remember, sometimes the 'regular' price is a bargain by itself)

Bax
- good prices overall. They seem to fluctuate according to stock (items that are out of stock seem to be cheaper).
- when they advertise a product as discounted, don't trust the regular price that is shown
- good communication, apart from lag
- fast order processing
- horrible search, it's easy to get the impression some products are missing from their catalogue while they do show depending on how you look for them
- often shipments include vouchers for further purchases

Gear4music
- bargains to be found
- fast order processing
- UK shop, so mind the power outlets - they do ship a converter when you order from, say, continental Europe)

Muziker
- customers are offered permanent vouchers
- stock seems to be rather limited
- extremely fast, shipments arrive like clockwork 2 working days after ordering, despite the distance
- good communication
- packaging leaves to be desired
- they seem to be reluctant to do partial shipments (per order, even when you have a lot of open orders) or even unwilling to do those (may be down to their software, rather than a matter of policy)

musicstore.de
- more expensive generally (good prices for Behringer pedals though, if you don't mind the wait as partial shipments seem to be off)
- they seem to be unwilling to do partial shipments. It seems I'll have to wait 3 months for an order of 4 products, 2 of which were in stock both when I ordered, and when I complained after 2 weeks - after a lot of mails they're out of stock now). Their reply to my protest: "we don't mind if you cancel" :?
- one item arrived broken, was replaced
- slow order processing
- communication leaves a lot to be desired
- their printed newsletter has a one-time voucher

Key Music (Belgian brick and mortar store with webshop)
- expensive, but I did get one pedal rather cheap there. It was shown as being in stock, after purchasing I was told to wait a month. Having had a terrible and costly customer experience with them in the 90s, I angrily protested and they sorted it.
Last edited by cptgone on Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thomann is great. Also when it comes to complaints/returns. I must say that i had a issue with the least web shops, though. I also love to order at Amazon, because they also have a great service.

On the subject of partial shipments: musicstore had me return the broken item (<€20) which is silly (it was a pedal with 1 broken knob, I might have found use for it but it's beyond repair).

Thomann on the other hand, let me keep a cheap item that didn't suit my needs, rather than waste money on courier service to have it returned. So I gave it to my neighbour. Win-win-win :)
chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:39 am I also love to order at Amazon, because they also have a great service.
I'm a happy Amazon customer, but only once did I find a good price there for an FX pedal (at amazon.fr)
(Ironically, I bought from Bax instead because for once, I was willing to pay a little more for fast delivery - and as Murphy's Law would have it, for once Bax was slow hehe so that didn't really work out)

You're right. If Music Store offers on Amazon, for example, their prices are higher than on their own shops. For music gear, Amazon is maybe not the cheapest option. Amazon itself sometimes sells some music gear as well though, and, their prices are competitive.

Browsing guitar pedals in French and Spanish shops, I notice quite a few brands I never heard of. E.g. Jacques, Glou Glou, Amsterdam Cream, MI Audio (Australian, it seems)...

And I would have bought some discounted pedals from peachguitars.com if it wasn't for (seemingly inflated) shipping costs. Many UK businesses don't seem Euro-customer friendly (at Amazon.co.uk, many even refuse to sell anything to continental customers).

Bax went silly on me.
1 order, 7 shipments, many mails, 4 returns.
The 7 shipments include 5 separate guitar straps :nutter:
cptgone wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:04 am It's just another case of a webshop shooting itself in the foot by not putting enough people on their sales/customer desk.
Cause Bax has a free return policy anyway.

I've had a similar experience with them last year, cancelled a guitar and 1 week later they sent it, not having read my mail yet (or so they said in the end, anyway). It was the first time I cancelled a purchase, the unrequired delivery cost me sleep and worries.

(UPDATE: Bax got back to me, I could simply use the Returns page to apply for a shipping label - which arrived already. And then carry a box to the post office - thrice. I'm gonna be so muscular afterwards)

Thomann offers customizable package deals on specific purchases.
E.g. buying a guitar may get you free strings, plectrums, strap and significant discounts on amps and stands.

Bax has package deals too, but those aren't customizable.

My experience with Thomann, after many thousands of dollars in 14+ years, is mostly positive, with a few negatives thrown in.
They've shipped me faulty Martin guitars. The first one, a 000-15, arrived with the bottom smashed in around the strap button hole. Although they sold it to me as new, it is evident some idiot tried to force the strap button into the hole without knowing what he was doing. The replacement came, and there was a slight gap in the joint between the neck and the body. That went back, as well. I ended up getting a D-15, which was fine. When I bought my Martin OM-21, it came with a significant blemish on the side, like it had grazed against something. I complained, they offered me €50 off, which, on a €2,200 guitar, I found inadequate. Luckily, the finish is nitro, and my luthier friend was able to polish it out of existence. The first D-28 that I bought from them was defective in some way, so was sent back. The replacement is fine.
Then there was the 'VOX AC15H Incident.' I bought a B-stock model of this that was about €65 cheaper than new stock. Their page said 'slight traces of use.' THE REVERB WAS D-O-A!!! I was pissed, because it isn't light, and dragging it to the post office would've been a major hassle. I called them up, explained the situation, and they agreed to have the head picked up. I told them I wasn't impressed with the 'slight traces of use' bullshit and asked for the B price on a new model. This was at first refused. I then sent them an angry email, pointing out that I'd spent thousands there over the years, and that they were about to lose my custom. Customer service got back to me and agreed to send me a new head at the B-stock price. I shouldn't have had to threaten them.
They also are loath to haggle.
I have been able to haggle discounts from Musicstore.de on my Taylor guitars. I guess it depends on which make and or model, because they wouldn't budge on prices a couple of other times. They also sold me a dog of a Les Paul that I ended up selling at more than a 50% loss.
These are the only 2 shops in Germany that I'll mention here. There is a local one, but their operation is a bit shady.
The Fellowship of Acoustics, in Holland, was problematic. We have very different views regarding what constitutes 'mint' on 2nd hand guitars. I tried out 5 guitars with them over the autumn. 2 were 2nd hand and fell quite short of 'mint' according to my understanding of the word. I ended up getting a Martin D-16GT from Musicstore.de, who was selling it around €400 less than Thomann. This is a discontinued model, but it seems a few were found at the distributor's warehouse, and given to a few shops.
I still buy strings and picks from Thomann. It is cheaper for me to buy strings from them than to go to the local shop.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

JRR have shipped hw round the world to me and given me sweet sw deals.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I've had bad service from musicstore.de which caught me out because they were using DV247 branding. Historically Digital Village were ok.

Andertons and Thomann have both been good for me lately.

cptgone wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:31 am
Gear4music
- bargains to be found
- fast order processing
- UK shop, so mind the power outlets - they do ship a converter when you order from, say, continental Europe)

Bought quite a few things from them (few geetars, couple of mics, mini electronic drumkit, TC Aeon, monitor speakers, various leads etc). Always very good no fuss service (they are based in Yarkshur after all...) . Good quick shipping (DPD) and have always been very helpful in answering questions etc.

Gear4music & Thomann have provided a lot of the gear I've bought over the last few years. Never had a problem, even when the screen on my RYTM packed up after almost 3 years. They paid for postage and did the repair in a couple of weeks. My last order with G4M was made on a Monday afternoon. The synth arrived the next day. They were the only shop in the UK with actual stock rather than pre-orders, and they had the best price. :party:

Today my 2nd guitar from https://www.abtmusic.eu/ arrived, set up nicely. Also bought several effect pedals, last year. I'm a happy customer.
After my first purchase I got a voucher, that seems to be policy.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”