Electrical Safety Question

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I'm getting ready to purchase some recording gear, pedals, and analog synths. As of now I just have a midi keyboard and my desktop as far as music gear goes.

I'm living in a very old apartment (built in 1969) and the electrical situation here is questionable. The only outlet in my room is practically hanging out of the wall and generally seems to be very old. I have a surge protector hooked up, but I'm wondering if all my gear will be safe. Especially once I have an audio interface, pedals, synths, and my computer all hooked up to this one outlet.

Are there any concerns I should have regarding the electricity potentially damaging my gear? Or is any outlet in any home pretty much the same as long as I have a surge protector? Forgive my ignorance on the matter. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

If its hanging off the wall, why not fix it? That way you'll be safe(er).

FYI I run my whole studio from one socket, via several plugboards. Never had any issues with it in 20 odd years.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get an electrician to look at it if you're that concerned and definitely if it's hanging off the wall.

Mains testers are also a useful tool for not much money; something along the lines of this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winner-Mains-P ... GEMQQVTA20

Many years ago, I was a QC/A electrician.
So...
Where are you? Codes here have been pretty much standardized since the sixties and so then the other consideration would be what else is on the circuit? (Turn off the breaker and see what else has stopped working.) As long as it is property grounded and still fits tight, a simple surge protector or battery back up should be good. But other things on the same circuit if they aren't grounded can produce feedback hum. Definitely replace the plug if it's in question, they're usually only a buck or two. And if the box itself is the problem, they make a few options to extend it and give it a firmer backing.

Electrical codes vary by geography as do landlord laws and such.

Wouldn't hurt to have it inspected by electrician. Depending on local law, if it doesn't meet code then regulations may require the landlord to pay for a fix.

Codes in some locations are grandfathered so a building only has to meet the codes as were written the year of construction or the last time it was rewired if it's been substantially rewired later than the construction date. So possible you could have a case where you wish it was wired better but it still meets 1969 codes or whatever. Super-dependent on where you live.

I can understand the grandfathering thang-- It would be a mess if city hall could update the codes and require every homeowner to spend thousands on rewiring just because some bureaucrat wrote new codes. OTOH codes generally make sense and code compliant will generally be safer than some random slipshod work conforming to no code.

So long as your circuit is at least 15 or 20 amps (assuming usa 120V circuit) and you don't have a bunch of floor heaters, microwave ovens, hair dryers etc on the same circuit then it is plenty for a pretty big collection of synths and a computer and monitor system.

It would be REAL DESIRABLE to have the socket proper wired with a proper third wire ground. UPS and surge suppressors will not work as advertised if the circuit doesn't have a solid ground with the hot and neutral wires on the correct outlet terminals.

If you can't get the outlet at least that good, then possibly it could risk the money spent on the electronics if you get a surge or nearby lightning strike or whatever. Sometimes even surge suppressors are not good enough to prevent damage, but if the outlet isn't proper wired even the surge suppressors won't work right.

State and local codes can exceed but not be less than national codes. Check wire size, breaker size and current load. Heaters should already be on their own separate circuit. But that won't cover additional space heaters, microwaves and such. But receptacles do wear out and can easily be replaced.

Where are you? Knowing your location will make a lot of difference, both in terms of landlord laws and electrical installation code.

A surge protector is generally protection against peak voltage surges that come from variation in the generation of AC voltage, but isn't likely to protect you from the dangers of a socket hanging out of the wall. Your personal safety is the biggest issue here, and you should ask the landlord to fix the outlet on safety grounds - there are probably relevant landlord/tenant laws that he/she is in violation of if broken electrical outlets aren't fixed.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 am
BBFG# wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:00 pm
I'm located in Boone, North Carolina. Thanks everyone for the input.

srmccann94 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:34 am
Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 am
BBFG# wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:00 pm
I'm located in Boone, North Carolina. Thanks everyone for the input.
You're only a couple of hours drive from me then (but different state)! You should have recourse to get your landlord to fix that then:
North Carolina General Statute 42-42(a)
(1) Comply with the current applicable building and housing codes;
(2) Make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition;
(3) Keep all common areas of the premise in safe condition;
(4) Maintain in good and safe working order and promptly repair all electrical,
plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and other facilities and appliances supplied or required to be supplied by the landlord provided that notification of needed repairs is made to the landlord in writing by the tenant except in emergency situations.
I'm pretty sure that in all US states (I was told that Arkansas is an exception) that landlords are responsible to ensure that all premises are up to code, so if the socket is hanging from the wall, then they should be doing something about that.

I wouldn’t be getting electrical/medical/etc advice off the internet. Just saying :shrug:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:08 pm I wouldn’t be getting electrical/medical/etc advice off the internet. Just saying :shrug:
No?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7DOQWJe2Vs

dont use your tongue to test stuff. rule 1.

vurt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:22 pm dont use your tongue to test stuff. rule 1.
This rule applies to so many things in life...

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:25 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:22 pm dont use your tongue to test stuff. rule 1.
This rule applies to so many things in life...
that's why its number one!
before no killing n shit.

One socket should be safe to provide 10A. On 110V that's rougly 1000 Watt. The average studio device needs maybe 5 or 30 Watt. So you can have lots and lots of them.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”