IK Multimedia T-racks Tape Machine Collection

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS Tape Machine Collection

Taupe is absolutely awesome but I can't help feel like it still has those typical limitations of anything that is sampled. That is, it is a "snapshot" of the sampled range of the unit. It can't get into seriously crunchy tape crush territory convincingly. It can get sort of into the subtle area of that but not into total smackdown.

.. and that's where these new IKM tapes excel.

I do however wish we could make these sound "worse" with some additional wear and tear options. I really like worn and wobbly tape machines.. and having such convincing physical models of tape machines that can't be tweaked to be "bad" is such a shame.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:43 pm Taupe is absolutely awesome but I can't help feel like it still has those typical limitations of anything that is sampled. That is, it is a "snapshot" of the sampled range of the unit. It can't get into seriously crunchy tape crush territory convincingly. It can get sort of into the subtle area of that but not into total smackdown.

.. and that's where these new IKM tapes excel.

I do however wish we could make these sound "worse" with some additional wear and tear options. I really like worn and wobbly tape machines.. and having such convincing physical models of tape machines that can't be tweaked to be "bad" is such a shame.
Thanks for the reply.
I’m surprised by the lack of options with Tape Machines too. The low end you get with these is wonderful though, so warm.

Aloysius wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:34 pm But when the price doubles, will you be sorry then?
gas gas gas gas gas gas..........

Are True Stereo and Transport Modeling on and engaged when the switch is in the Up position, or when it is in the Down position?

It sounds like in 10 years when CPU's catch up, this will really be the tape machine plugin to beat! :lol:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:52 pm It sounds like in 10 years when CPU's catch up, this will really be the tape machine plugin to beat! :lol:
NASA are working on it...

IK Multimedia really will have missed a trick with this if they don’t optimize Tape Machines so you can actually mix with it and use multiple instances without your cpu melting.
They sound absolutely amazing but people can’t really use them in any way apart from mastering.

The A80’s sonic signature is a per-fect blend between transparency and subtle harmonic enhancement.
This made me laugh. It’s much more dramatic than simply advertising it as a plugin which creates subtle harmonic enhancement.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:47 am Sounds like this is a combination of modeling and convolution. How is latency?
I am quite curious about this as well.

If I already own the TRacks MAX bundle how much would it be to add these tape machines to the collection?
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

One MILLION dollars.

benjamind wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:36 am If I already own the TRacks MAX bundle how much would it be to add these tape machines to the collection?
Doesn't matter what you own. When IK creates a new T-Racks processor (or most new IK products really), there's a discounted/intro/crossgrade price for all IK customers. You can use Jam Points if you got em to bring the price down further. Or you can wait until IK does a big sale and deeply discounts those products (like their recent promotion where T-Racks 5 was $49 and I was able to take 30% off with Jam Points - but I had to wait a while).

detriot wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:20 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:47 am Sounds like this is a combination of modeling and convolution. How is latency?
I am quite curious about this as well.
I finally got some time to check for myself 13.5ms latency per plugin. So not insignificant, not horrible. You definitely wouldn't want to use these in a tracking scenario and monitor through these.

The CPU usage is super high, but I can still run 21 of these in a project with no other plugins on a 4790 (used Studio One and just kept adding these to new tracks until the CPU indicator started hitting red)k. High, but not crazy unreasonable. Definitely the kind of plugin where you want to split up your recording and mixing phases and bounce stems in between and render this as needed. Due to the CPU constraints, I couldn't imagine using this on every track in a mix, but then again, Direct Offline Processing in Cubase seems like it was built for this. I threw the ATR-24 emulation on a near complete mix I'm working on and it pushed the CPU over the limit, but the sound was amazing. Might be totally worth it for a few, key roles in a mix.

I could care less for CPU usage. Sound quality is what is most important. Especially today when 8 core setup are (slowly) becoming standard and 16 core dekstop mainstream processors are to be released (Ryzen 3950x).

GUI is perfect and what is most important sound of IK Tape is quite amazing!! Their decision to keep quality and not sacrifice on CPU is good decision. That's my imho of course.

IK Tape - like by all meanings

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:33 am
benjamind wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:36 am If I already own the TRacks MAX bundle how much would it be to add these tape machines to the collection?
Doesn't matter what you own. When IK creates a new T-Racks processor (or most new IK products really), there's a discounted/intro/crossgrade price for all IK customers. You can use Jam Points if you got em to bring the price down further. Or you can wait until IK does a big sale and deeply discounts those products (like their recent promotion where T-Racks 5 was $49 and I was able to take 30% off with Jam Points - but I had to wait a while).
Okay, I own quite a few IK products. So it's normally 199 euros but is promotional introductory at 99 euros.

Does any discount apply considering I own existing IK products? Is the 99 euros a crossgrade price?
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

I checked the crossgrade page, which shows 10 different big products, but no Tape Machine collection.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/userarea/eligibility/

And how do I use both Jam Points and Custom Shop credits?

Return to “Effects”