First Look: SYNCHRON-ized Special Editions Vol 1 by Vienna Symphonic Library

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I see "entry-level" it is usually a red flag as most developers curtail sample playback quality in order to create an affordable orchestral collection. This is not the case with Vienna Symphonic Library's latest release.
Thoughts, Demos and more Videos on the library: http://bit.ly/2X8taCy

https://youtu.be/uQ_3ghUzHE8

SYNCHRON-ized Special Editions Vol 1 sells for €295 from Vienna Symphonic Library: http://bit.ly/2Wih9pS
Host: Sample Library Review http://SampleLibraryReview.com

Music: http://DonBodinMusic.com

I would suggest, if you're a first time buyer of VSL, to consider their dry library first before the Synchronized version, which uses the original VI player. It's a bit more involved but while there are additions to the new Synchron player that are not in the VI player, the original VI player, I would say, is more flexible for getting multiple articulations in a single instance by using a sample matrix. I don't see that in the Synchron player.

Lastly, from what I understand, the Synchronized version is a repackaged version of the dry samples with a convolution reverb of the Synchron stage baked into the samples...and they give you a solo violin and "light" version of a Steinway, iirc.

Have you asked the guy at VSL directly? How about at VI Control?

The upgrade path for me is $35, and I still don't see value in the Synchronized version because they are just wet-baked samples of the libraries I already own. That sólo violin and piano are not backwards compatible with the VI player. Don't get me wrong, VSL is top notch and props to you for considering them, but I fell in love with them because their samples were recorded dry, and therefore can be mixed to other wet libraries. I find great value in that. Just consider what I mentioned and get other people's opinion.
Last edited by Mathematics on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Mathematics wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:00 am ... because their samples were recorded dry, and ...
That is the most important point IMO - if a library should be
universally be useful.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

"Lastly, from what I understand,..."

You don't appear to fully understand how Synchron Stage libraries work, though. Here's a partial view of the full setup in the mixer:
mixer.jpg
The close mics don't bring the room in to any appreciable degree. If you bring Room-Mix down, the room mics are not heard; additionally there are Mid stereo pairs, and Back, and Surround. So you can have the room, or not. It's not like older Spitfire products which have an appreciable degree of room in everything, the close are quite dry.

"repackaged version of the dry samples with a convolution reverb of the Synchron stage baked into the samples"

Completely re-edited, improved and expanded sample database

How do you bake a convolution into the samples? Your understanding there may exceed mine, but for the Synchron Stage paradigm to work, they'd play the new edits in the room and record it per that paradigm. I'm not picturing them cheaping out here.

Another aspect of "Synchron-ized" is a new paradigm for changing patches; with the color Blue activated in the tree, instead of a discrete switch, it's cross-faded.
Also the folder slots, containing versions of a parent patch in the next dimension is a unique paradigm; so you can have a bowed articulation with bowing types in the last dimension, ie., tremolando and this crossfades. Doable with VI Pro but it's setting it up as a slot crossfade, a different visualization of it. In the ones I have, it's more than just one type of trem., half trem, sul pont trem (I don't know the extent of SE, prob not) etc. 3 or more are *not* x-fadeable via slot-xfade.

Attention users of our VI Special Editions, we’ve added new instruments to the SYNCHRON-ized Special Editions:
Solo violin 2, solo cello 2, Synchron Concert D-274, clarinet in Bb 2, trumpet in Bb muted, Synchron Timpani, Synchron Drums, Synchron Cymbals & Gongs, harmonium, prepared piano, upright bass, Vienna Solo Voices.

So reducing this to 'just wet-baked samples of what you already have" is not accurate.

35 bucks (I suppose this is just strings?), and it's not like you lose the original. :shrug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

It would of been nice if vsl had let us upgrade our old se strings volumes instead of having to upgrade to full se packages.

jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:24 am "Lastly, from what I understand,..."

You don't appear to fully understand how Synchron Stage libraries work, though. Here's a partial view of the full setup in the mixer:
mixer.jpg
The close mics don't bring the room in to any appreciable degree. If you bring Room-Mix down, the room mics are not heard; additionally there are Mid stereo pairs, and Back, and Surround. So you can have the room, or not. It's not like older Spitfire products which have an appreciable degree of room in everything, the close are quite dry.

"the dry samples with a convolution reverb of the Synchron stage baked into the samples"
Completely re-edited, improved and expanded sample database

Another aspect of "Synchron-ized" is a new paradigm for changing patches; with the color Blue activated in the tree, instead of a discrete switch, it's cross-faded.
Also the folder slots, containing versions of a parent patch in the next dimension is a unique paradigm; so you can have a bowed articulation with bowing types in the last dimension, ie., tremolando and this crossfades. Doable with VI Pro but it's setting it up as a slot crossfade, a different visualization of it. In the ones I have, it's more than just one type of trem., half trem, sul pont trem (I don't know the extent of SE, prob not) etc. 3 or more are *not* x-fadeable via slot-xfade.

So reducing this to 'just wet-baked samples of what you already have" is not entirely accurate.

35 bucks, and it's not like you lose the original. :shrug:
My contribution to this post is essentially quoting experienced users like JimmyHellFire and others at VI-Control who are also community members on VSL. Unless they don't know what they're talking about, I believe I answered the OPs question directly and succinctly. I'm not trying to be a salesman for VSL by justifying the motivation of a product simply because I own it. No. In fact, my reply never mentions to buy either one specifically, or implying that one is better then the other. That's something he's going to have to find out for himself, which is why I mentioned to ask VSL or others on VIC. Personally, I'd be interested in the Synchronized version if was composed of uniquely recorded samples because I would find great value in that.

Well, I like factual information better than supposition in any case. If you're supposing I'm acting as salesperson just because it's something I own, you're way off base.

You have a number of incorrect assertions as to what this is, is all. The OP had a question and you answered it. Ok.
He apparently has full access to it, gave a not-trivial walkthrough of it, while you're actually telling every reader of this about it with no such experience. And you have another user "and others" as authority for certain suppositions/assumptions.
Well, if they are actually saying it's nothing but the same samples with convolution of that room 'baked-in' they're telling a story which doesn't agree with statements by VSL on that forum and in the product information, or agree with my experience.

Other differences: a Synchron-ized version comes with a number of effects. The paradigm is a mixer, with reverb sends and Aux sends where you may instantiate room reverb, plate reverb, flanger/chorus, rotator, delay, phaser... For instance, I had Epic Orchestra which came with VE Pro back in the day.
Now VE Pro 7 gives Epic Orchestra 2 away. So. I have Synchron-ized Chamber Vlns lite loaded at this moment. It's pretty light! Two articulations (this was not in EO original), legato w vibrato and semitone trill.
However, it provides reverb presets using the room:
reverb presets.png
Fair amount of baking there.
I don't know what's new in SE Synchron-ized other than the Product Info and some walkthroughs (and knowing Synchron Player comes with these effects). I'm not in the market for it at all, but I have 3 Synchron Player libraries. So this one would have to have been the dry samples - remastered and edited makes sense here - recorded anew in the room to capture the various reflective situations.

If I had the money I would be in the market for Synchron Yamaha CFX Piano, and have followed a very detailed demonstration of it: the Synchron mixer affords everything from totally in-your-face dry to way in the back/almost all room.

And with their Hybrid Reverb, you could match the reverb at the end of the signal path with a preset of that tail, with a particular early reflection in front of it for both, with predelay at 0 and the close mics. I don't much like trying to make Spitfire's room with what I use; this isn't that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's obvious you really like the Synchronized version, and that's great. I'm sure the now OP has plenty to work with. Thanks for sharing your experience with this product, albeit a repackaged version of some of the SE bundles. You don't have to own something to comment on your opinion of it. So, trying to make me look like a fool because I'm commenting on something I don't own, but have some kind of idea about, seems less than valuable in this case. I see no value in that.

How many times have we all taken the opinions of others simply from "I heard..." or "I read..." same thing here. So the attacks, instead could have been delivered in a more constructive manner...instead of making an allie, you set yourself to be an enemy. Don't do that. I find KVR members to be more evolved individuals. Let's keep it that way. It's like the old saying your parents said to you long ago, "if you don't have anything good to say..." you know the rest.

Have a good day.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”