Your experience with guitar VSTis for hard rock and metal

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i remember when godflesh and picthshifter both hit the scene, a lot of older metal heads just wouldn't accept drum machines :hihi:

Technical Death seems to go hand in hand with ultra detailed editing and, therefore, having all instruments programmed and sequenced... it's a particular challenge to these guys, ie technical perfection, and live playing isn't really it's main focus or goal.

Having said that, one aspect that attracted me to Death Metal in the very early 90s, was the guitar tones combined with the drummers particular style.

Living in a DAWless world, they tended to play just about everything live, even in the studio.

Different times, different methods.
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

CapnLockheed wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:29 pm
Manowar were allegedly a 100% serious band. Never quite sure myself....
These guys are actually from my town Auburn, NY. A bud of mine was their FOH engineer for years. Trust me....THEY took themselves seriously as did their die-hard fans. Most everyone else thought they were a bit of a joke. They were much bigger in Europe than they ever were here. Funny side note.....a lady that works with my wife told me that mr. fur underpants the bass player was a catholic choirboy....."he was a very nice boy....he used to cut my grass."

The church excommunicated him for serving in Satan's army. Apparently they took them serious too!! :D :D :D
Used to hang with Manowar.I am from Binghamton ,NY. Still go see Ross their original guitarist.He still kicks ass.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9cEmG-ZWys

progtronic wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:25 pm Regarding the fake drum sound/production.. that's pretty much 'Tech Death' in a nutshell. It's all about the computerized studio trickery. You can youtube "technical death metal" for many similar examples.

I literally had to de-humanize both Superior Drummer and Electri6ity.. a lot.. in order to get a more mechanical (sort of Electronic/Industrial) thing happening. Definitely an acquired taste (sound & production wise), but I think I nailed the genre. 8)
Geez I hope you didn't think I was telling you off or opposed to drum machines, guitar machines, machine vocalists... I love my ZZ Top, Sisters Of Mercy, Kraftwerk, OMD... records.

I couldn't define Tech Death (sub-genre definitions is not my religion) so listening to this as it was the first thing that YT offered for the search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEBzTIQSyFQ

This is simply Death with some Film Score elements (that I'm sure people call progressive even tho it sure ain't the way Yes did it). I always thought Death was pretty technical, hence not really getting the distinction other than perhaps a way to try to differentiate from the older acts. I do note that the drums aren't in front of the mix tho. That gives the guitars (and Mr Croaky) the power they need.

:-)

Benedict wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:21 am Geez I hope you didn't think I was telling you off or opposed to drum machines...

I couldn't define Tech Death (sub-genre definitions is not my religion) so listening to this...

...This is simply Death with some Film Score elements (that I'm sure people call progressive even tho it sure ain't the way Yes did it). I always thought Death was pretty technical, hence not really getting the distinction other than perhaps a way to try to differentiate from the older acts. I do note that the drums aren't in front of the mix tho. That gives the guitars (and Mr Croaky) the power they need.

naa man.. didn't take it that way at all. No worries. :tu:

I think Tech Death differentiates itself from traditional Death.. through a tighter, electronic production in general. I believe 'technical' and 'progressive' are interchangeable here as well. 'Tech' being the modern form of what was formerly 'Progressive'.

Technical Death Metal is a bit more complex and even a bit heavier than traditional Death Metal. Tech Death also incorporates a lot of Classical(Cinematic) and Jazz elements. So.. sort of an Extreme Metal Fusion.

I really liked Ample Sound VSTi's. They sound hyper realistic to me. I used AME with some toontrack EZmix extension. After a few tweaks and EQ, they sound really great and big.

Benedict wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:57 am
This time I was accused of not being Metal which was super hurtful from one Metal fan (and I question that) to another.

I say this simply because you will need a big set of balls if you decide to take this route.
Same thing happened to me when I sent a demo to what I thought was a friend.

buttrobber wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:32 am
Benedict wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:57 am
This time I was accused of not being Metal which was super hurtful from one Metal fan (and I question that) to another.

I say this simply because you will need a big set of balls if you decide to take this route.
Same thing happened to me when I sent a demo to what I thought was a friend.
People seem to see bing unkind as an ok thing these days; like they have a right to say whatever they feel with no consequences. Leave em be.

I am satisfied with the Amputound Guitar library, specially with AGP and AGG series

Return to “Instruments”