EastWest Spaces II

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just noticed the release of EastWest Spaces II and I’m very interested in this Reverb.
My current go to is LiquidSonics Reverberate 2 which I love the sound of but really don’t like the workflow or GUI. I particularly like the sound of natural acoustic spaces and have found IR reverbs to offer the greatest realism to my ears. Saying that I also really like Acon’s Verberate.
Sadly EastWest Spaces II doesn’t offer a demo and am pretty nervous on risking $299 on a plugin I may not like.

I’d be really great full to hear any opinions on this plugin and particularly any comparisons with Reverberate 2.

All my experiences with EW software has been relatively negative. They seen to be buggier and less efficient than similar products. So I’ve never really bought in. I know lots of composers who use lots of their stuff and the impulse library in spaces is great. Hopefully in addition to whatever other bells and whistles they added to spaces, they also tuned up the coding a bit.

Anyway, it sounds amazing and is very useful. EW’s track record of fixing stuff is not so amazing. If you live in a bigger city or near one, you can check this stuff out at a guitar center or other shop. If you want to find lots of reports from actual users of EW software, go over to VI Control forum.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I think demos should always be available.
With that said, although it's not optimal (free), there's always the $30 Composer Cloud 1-month subscription, which gives access to the entire EastWest catalogue. Better than nothing, or risking the entire $299.

I have to admit I'm put off buying this plugin because of the following reasons :-

1/ No demo to try
2/ No re-sale policy

You could always demo altiverb - but even the 'basic' stereo version is twice the price of EW Spaces II

EW has good products. I believe Spaces II is also good product. With that said and not having tested Spaces myself, it would be safe to assume that you would like it.

Owning 2 EW products though, the sonic quality of Pianos Gold and Goliath are below my standard. No offense EW, but compared to Vienna, even you have to admit...they got it right from the start.

The player is and has always been buggy and extremely CPU inefficient. I'm talking in orders of magnitude.

Their samples stack hiss when you hold and sustain several notes. I can even hear a bus driving buy on their Steinway sample library. Yes EW...a bus. On the same library I remember hearing something like someone is trying to silently stand up from a chair...or leaning on a chair. I don't know...all I know is I had to use RX in both cases. Smh...

Still, in their defense...that's an old library and I'm sure their recording standards are much better now. Wait...there's more.

That's all I have to rant about over the quality. Now, as far as EW and their EULA...that's a whole other ballgame. So, batter up!

Their NFR license standard is completely fair. You just have to understand that you can NEVER sell your license to anyone. However, I have to add something that they did tell me; but before I tell you that...you also can't just sell your account without selling your iLok account on which the EW licenses reside in.

Now, what EW said to me...technically, you can't sell your SoundsOnline account either; however, (I just tried to lookup the email that I received from one of the EW team which I quote as best to my memory) "the name and address on the account must match the name of the person that owns the account."

All the personal information is editable. So, as long as the information is up to date... :wink:

iLok is another story. Since iLok is a service that EW pays and EW does not govern Pace, they don't have any control about your iLok account. As far as I know, iLok (Pace) doesn't specifically say that you cannot sell your entire account because they want you to do a one time $100 full account license transfer, provided you don't have a non-transferable licenses in your account, like EW licenses. In this case, I guess what they don't know doesn't hurt them because with iLok, you can edit personal details too. I mean, by law, if you changed your name...you'd be a different person in their database but physically the same person. Since no one is asking for a DNA sample...sell away I guess. Don't listen to me because any 1st year law student can easily argue against me and prove me wrong quoting a case that you'd have to pay a good lawyer $800 per hour to look up. That would take a lot of time and of course, money. I doubt either company is going to go through the same financial rigor to find out that you sold your EW and iLok account together.

For the above reason, I will no longer consider ever doing any business with EW and will strongly advise to everyone to choose an alternative. It sucks because I've turned a lot of potential EW customers to VSL, 8Dio, LASS, and Project SAM. Other YouTubers have recommended likewise, so I'm not saying anything new or uncommon. I'm just restating what others in this community and other communities have ranted about for years on end...as the above and soon, below comments have said and will say.

Again, don't listen to me. Follow your heart. If you like the sound, get it. If you need a new con-verb plugin for actual work, then it's worth the monthly fee to try it out. Then you can tell us how great it sounds. I honestly think it will sound great. Heck, get the studio to pay for it. If you're doing this as a hobby, well...I think the negatives outweigh the positives and I would say...Altiverb is somewhat a de facto in convolution reverbs.
Last edited by Mathematics on Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Yea I aint fan of eastwest business policy but hw strings and brass are real damn nice even runnin in that busted ol sampler they got. Spaces aint all that... v 2 upgrade is a joke at that price cus its the same plug again like with 1 new parameter and a couple irs. Performs the same... like shit.

8Dio also does not allow resale of their products. Neither does Spitfire. If you think you might resell, stick with VSL or Project Sam.

That said, I have been happy with my EW products (recently EWHO Diamond). I have not had any problems with the recent Play 6 player. At least nothing that I haven't also had with Kontakt. I don't put a lot of articulations on each instance, so I can't say it that would be a problem. I heard reasonably good things about the newest Spaces and it sounds in line with Altiverb in comparisons I've heard, which is about $200 more. The new GUI is supposedly running lighter on the CPU, which is also good.

And? It will probably be on sale in 6 months to a year if you want to wait. Since you are not upgrading, there is no real reason to grab it now.

jdnz wrote:You could always demo altiverb - but even the 'basic' stereo version is twice the price of EW Spaces II
Altiverb is rock solid and incredibly well put together though. It has one of, if not the best IR libraries, and is insanely light on cpu use. I bought it over spaces (mostly because I don’t trust the coding team over at east west) and I feel fine about the purchase. It has every feature you might want in a convolution player along with the amazing impulses.

I sill might buy spaces when EW does one of their incredibly often super sales. I wouldn’t rely on spaces or the play engine for real work though after all the troubles people have had with them since their release.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Spaces II is heavily discounted for a couple of days. I own a lot of Reverb plugins, how does this compare to the usual contenders?

In convolution world, East West II is about as good as it gets. Just keep in mind that the convolution for the spaces are not going to be as tweakable as Liquidsonics or Overload's ReMatrix. That said it's a beautiful GUI and the spaces sampled sound amazing. They actually blend well with the source unlike a lot of convolution reverbs that sound hollow and flat.

I actually like it better than the more expensive Altiverb and the only convolution reverb I prefer to this is Virsyn Reflect, which is even more affordable than this one. Reflect sounds a bit more lively actually and the GUI is much more tweakable. It sounds more alive because there is inbuilt modulation and a hybrid design that uses convolution for just the early reflections and an algorithmic design for the tail. The only downside is that Virsyn only allows once license tied to a Steinberg elicenser USB. Not everyone appreciates having a pecker sticking out of their computer.

I really rate it. I bought it last sale and use it all the time. There's some really interesting spaces and outside reverbs too.
The sound quality of the convolution reverbs are sublime.

No EastWest product is ever going to be on my computer again - the coding is utter garbage and they never fix bugs. Sound quality might be good in some instances, but it's not worth it.

From what I've read around the web, shit upgrade policy/price (as high a buying a new product, izotope like), no resale policy, developer with attitude, but it does sound good. Buy with caution x)

Maybe in the future, they will fire the marketing guys and finally get more happy customers (and happy customers = more sales and more customers)

gael_ wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:57 pm Maybe in the future, they will fire the marketing guys
The problem is that the company founders themselves are marketing and "business" type people, no matter how much they try to present themselves as artists or musicians. They spend just enough money on R&D to release a new product, then cash in as much as possible. Their product base is an ancient heap of bad code and scotch tape, and they have no interest to spend money on fixing it.

Return to “Effects”